What's new

Dial Combos Vs Combo Linkers: Why does it bother you? part 2

VenomX-90

"On your Knees!"
Think of it as the sequel to Block Button Vs Back to Block thread, I might make a trilogy of this. Anyways do you think it even matters if the gameplay MK used combo linkers like in SF? If it were to be changed? ( I remeber it correctly that was a term used to describe combos in SF) again it doesn't matter to me b/c I play both games, you just have to adapt, since I see that this is on the same boat as Blcok Button Vs B2B. I just want to know your thoughts if NRS were to change the combo system. (This thread may be closed or already made but oh well, had to get this thought out of my head)

aldazo

Waiting for Havik
Dial combos is the way to go, very easy to do compared to SF 1 frame links; but I would want a common combo system between chars, for example skullgirls has light to medium to heavy to special, Kof has heavy to command normal to special, etc. Maybe sort of left to right to left, or right to left to right for MKX.

KIllaByte

PSN: playakid700. Local name: BFGC MonkeyBizness
Combo linkers are silly from an NRS perspective. They lock the character in to only using their normal move animations in combos, pretty much guaranteeing that less flashy stuff happens. Dial combos allow not only for ease of use and accessibility, but a far greater variety of attack animations and possibilities for characters moves.

GrandMasterson

The Netherrealm beckons
Combo strings are neat because it makes spacing and footsies that much more crucial. For example, in SF4 you can whiff normals all day and virtually never be whiff punished for it. In MK, even so little as a misplaced D1 can mean a potential full combo punish. You whiff a whole string because your opponent jumped over you? Say your prayers, sugartits. Some people see this as a negative. I see it as a positive because it just makes you pay more attention to you and your opponent's positioning.

Also, they're cool as fuck. You all saw Raiden's combo strings in the trailer. Hell fucking yes.

T33-Kahn

Waifu, Peacock, Cutie Patootie,...
pfft i want kof's hd cancel for mkx. :DOGE
but seriously, i don't mind combo linker, but i don't want to see something like jab jab jab -> other moves like sf4, maybe something like f + back kick or b+ front punch -> link into xray,... would be cool. i don't really care tbh.
what i really want in mkx is COUNTER SYSTEM!!! plz NRS

Last edited:

chemist4hire

I Got Guiled
I am not a big fan of strings. Strings really limit your options in fighters because you have to commit to the string early, you rarely can hit confirm into a string because canceling from a normal to a string is rarely possible. This has the effect of then choosing to use strings that are safe on block, and since those strings are few and far between the characters, characters are sort of locked in to a certain play style.

I prefer a mix of good normals, that can be buffered into target combos the can then either end in specials or linked to form longer combos.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
No one seems to realize that Rain had a combo Linker system in MK9 at the cost of meter
3, ex RHC, 4,3 Lighning ...
4~ ex RHC, 4 RH...
4,3 ex RHC, 3, RH...

Linkers allows for repetitive loops, and in the majority, ppl that play NRS games hates the visual appeal of it, in a game like MK where X-Rays happens on Real time is bullshit to have combo linkers, so i have to agree with everyone else that says no, its a lots of risk with little no reward gained when realtime X-Rays combo breakers, armor moves and even now umblockable command grabs are possible.

WakeUp DP

GT MK OshTekk.
Combo strings are neat because it makes spacing and footsies that much more crucial. For example, in SF4 you can whiff normals all day and virtually never be whiff punished for it. In MK, even so little as a misplaced D1 can mean a potential full combo punish. You whiff a whole string because your opponent jumped over you? Say your prayers, sugartits. Some people see this as a negative. I see it as a positive because it just makes you pay more attention to you and your opponent's positioning.

Also, they're cool as fuck. You all saw Raiden's combo strings in the trailer. Hell fucking yes.
Whiff punishing on mk9 its awesome because of it.

Inj doesnt have pokes that actually do anything but I guess long ass recoveries on dashes makes up for it.

Rip Torn

ALL I HAVE IS THE GREEN.
I prefer strings over linkers. The major problem I have with Linkers is that you can get punished for comboing your opponent if you miss your link and they happen to mash out a DP, which takes no skill whatsoever. Some will say, well you missed your link, so it's your fault. This is true, however, I think the reward for successfully scoring a hit should result in damage to your opponent with little risk to some sort of reversal. I once saw Infiltration vs PR Rog and the match basically came down to both players dropping combos left and right while the other one just mashed out DP for the win. In the end it left both players feeling like they should have lost and the match was super sloppy to watch. The other end result is people manipulating the fighting engine with plinking and other methods to increase their chances of hitting 1 frame links.

Strings in MK are much more versatile with allowing almost any string/normal to be cancelled into specials at any time. I think this allows more mind games and potential for mix-ups. It also opens up the level of creativity you can have with pressure. Basically, it makes the game more fun and strategic and less about execution.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room

This is so wrong, you've obviously never played/understood how SF works.

The entire gameplan of Snake eyes at EVO was to do what you just said doesn't exist in SF.

Last edited:
actually you have some kind of links in NRS games with juggles and specials. you just link strings, not single hits. also dial-strings allow ridiculous shenanigans. and spectacular combos.

haketh

Noob
Funny thing is a system similar to SF or VSAV gives you more combo variety out the gate compared to a system like NRSs. In those systems you can have both links & target combos. Due to how NRSS handles their strings links can't be allowed due to how wonky hitstun is,you can have a 3 hit string & the second hit can have an advantage of +10 but you can't combo off of it due to limitations NRS programs in, this problem also plagues jump ins, you can't hit confirm jump ins in NRS games, you have to dial things in ahead of time despite having the advantage.

Flagg

Noob
Are we talking about one frame links with regular normals or target combos like Guy and some others possess because I think target combos would work a bit better in MK X.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
You're saying I don't know what I'm talking about and it doesn't exist, when clearly it does since it got him all the way to 4th place

Just saying
You said that whiffing normals all day is not punished in SF and consequentially, that whiff punishing largely does not exist. Trying to twist your words afterwards doesn't really work. If you still don't understand, re-read your post.

Just sayin'.

From a personal perspective, I infinitely prefer juggle-based combo systems rather than ground-based ones. This is largely due to playing Tekken for over a decade, and not having played Street Fighter properly until around 2009. For me, juggle-based systems are more intuitive, far easier to understand and utilise (seriously, fuck 1 frame links) and allow for a greater variety.

Strings and juggles for life, tbqh.

GrandMasterson

The Netherrealm beckons
You said that whiffing normals all day is not punished in SF and consequentially, that whiff punishing largely does not exist. Trying to twist your words afterwards doesn't really work. If you still don't understand, re-read your post.

Just sayin'.
I could have worded myself better and not have exaggerated as much, but even you said yourself that a 4th place player at Evo had a game plan similar to what I described (and again, got 4th place) and in the very next breath you said "it doesn't exist in SF". Also, I never said "consequentially, whiff punishing largely does not exist", because that would mean I was including special move whiff punishing doesn't exist, where I was just talking about normals. That was your inference, not my implication. Also, just look how many whiffed normals go on during the Snake Eyes/Fuudo matches. I'm not just pulling this out of thin air.