What's new

Guide - Cutthroat Derptile's Cutthroat Kano Guide(Updated for 3/29/16 patch changes)

Derptile

RIP Ex Smash
READ ME: I'm a lazy fuck who doesn't want to go through the trouble of re-editing what I wrote. So for the latest patch (4/1/16), I've just written down what's changed in this lovely color in the form of a bunch of Editor's notes. The main things to know is that:
-Knife Slice (DB1) is now -5 instead of -9
-Air ball in now an overhead(lmao)
-and B1 had a small but relevant range boost.
-There was also a tiny damage nerf but he still does 50% with 2 bars mid screen and close to 40% 1 bar, meterless damage is the same

Since finding Tech and making Guides seems to be a popular thing to do these days on TYM, I decided to make one for what I think is the most underrated character in this game right now, Cutthroat Kano. A fair warning, it's pretty in depth and I don't like proofreading so tell me if I messed up my English anywhere.

(P.S, the old Photo was taken down so just imagine he put in the Blue Arc Reactor instead of his Red one, K?)

What is Cutthroat?

-Cutthroat is Kano's rushdown variation where he gets a long ranged launching string, a damage buff, a SAFE long ranged knife stab that launches for the Ex version(Ex is unsafe but that doesn't matter), and an overhead string B121 that's 0 on block, but replaces his very good default B1 from Cybernetic/Commando. In addition to these tools, he is supplied with the fantastic repertoire of Footsie tools that are present in all of Kano's variations. His gameplan in its simplest form consists of comboing the opponent and ending with a Straight Ball to get a Sliding(not a hard, error on my part and corrected by @infamy23 ) knockdown and continue the vortex. However he has plenty of tricks up his sleeve which we'll get into soon.

+Strengths+
  • Completely Safe(0 on block overhead, +1 on block low) 50/50 game where he ends combos in a Sliding knockdown to continue the Vortex.
  • Fantastic footsie tools in the form of F4, F212, Knife Slice, Ex knives, etc.
  • Amazing D4.
  • Very high damaging Combos with meter
  • Great mobility with Forward and Back dash as well as decent Run Speed.
  • Armored launcher as well as a separate safe armored move.
  • Not bad Zoning with fast recovery knives and almost impossible to zone thanks to Air ball.
  • Can nullify some wakeups on read and do massive punishes
  • Can AA reliably.
  • Very Good Corner carry and Corner game.
-Weaknesses-
  • He doesn't have the default B1(one of the best normals in the game) that Cybernetic and Commando have.
  • That's it =D

Useful Normals/Strings
112: Starts up in 8 frames, is supposed to hit mid for 12 but just hits all high most of the time, and has a gap in between 11(gap)2. This string is best used for fast punishes where F212 is too slow to punish or when you want optimal 1 bar punishes.

F212: A mid launching hit-confirmable string that starts in 12 frames and slowly advances (has good range) you toward the opponent. The final hit launches and is -9 on block so cancel into f21(-5 or -6) if they block it, but if the opponent starts to press buttons after f21 you can just do the whole string and launch since there is a delay(but no gap) between F21(delay)2. This string is your main punisher for doing meterless damage midscreen. Now after the patch you can make it completely safe by canceling F21 into Knife slice(DB1) meaning you have a completely safe advancing string that is easily hit confirmable and can launch.

B121: An overhead starting string that starts up in 13 frames, easily hit-confirmable, and is 0 on block. The b1 has the ABSOLUTE WORST RANGE out of any move in the game, it only hits if your arm in inside the opponent and it moves you back as well. Still, this string is essential for Cutthroat's mixup gameplay. After patch the hitbox for B1 was extended so that's some pretty swaggu stuff.

B312: A low starting string with 14 frames of startup, launches only in the corner, and is -8 on block. B31 is cancelable(b312 is not) and is +1 on block, maybe more since the opponent has to block low. It's also essential for Kano's Mixups.

F4: A single hitting normal where Kano essentially jumps and knees the opponent in the chest. 11 frames of start up, -5 on block, special cancelable, terrific range, and crushes low pokes. A very good move for when Kano wants to get in quickly.

4: A single hitting kick that can function well as a preemptive AA but besides that it's not very useful. 15 frames start up and +2 on block.

D4: A very good low poke that starts up in 8 frames, -7 on block, and is +18 on hit. It has great range, push back on block, and low profiles alot of things. Seriously this poke is absolutely amazing, use it more. On hit it also knocks them away so you have to run in for a follow up.

D3: A decent poke that also starts up in 7 frames, -3 on block, and is +13 on hit. This does not low profile or push back on block, but it does leave them standing next to you on hit so it's useful if you've just used a breaker. Use this poke instead of D1 or D4 for getting out of pressure

D2: Good AA with 8 frames of startup.

NJP: Not the best NJP in the world, but definitely not the worst. It has a pretty good downwards hitbox and can be used as a preemptive AA.

Jumpin 1: Same deal as NJP. It's decent and has more of a downwards hitbox, just use this over the rest of his Jump attacks.

Special Moves

-Kano Ball(BF3): Who doesn't love balls in your face? This is Kano's equivalent of Raiden's superman, a cool thing about it is that it results in a sliding knockdown so it's a great combo ender. 14 frame start up and punishable on block.
-Ex Version: Much more interesting than normal ball because it gains several interesting properties. First off all it gains armor and can be delayed or canceled on hit if your opponent is next to you, so you can essentially use it as armored launcher if you're fast enough. It's also surprisingly hard to punish if you're not used to the timing which makes it even better. The second thing about it is that if you delay it properly you can absorb 2 hits, but you can also launch and still have the ability to absorb hits. So with the delay you can HAVE 3 HITS OF ARMOR.
Here's a good thread explaining it all Click on me

-Air Ball(BF3 while in the air): Kano does the ball in the air that tracks the opponent. If he hits them then it'll cancel into a low attack as well, if the opponent blocks it then Kano will be in a rolling ball animation, if you make it so you land in front of them then only the low attack will come out. It's kind of weird to explain, but what you need to know is that Air ball makes it very hard to zone Kano and if you're opponent blocks either the low attack or ball, it is complete death on block. After the patch the air Kano ball now hits overhead so yay for that I guess lol.
-MB Version: Air ball can't be EXed like Kano ball, but it can be Meterburned when you land on the ground so that instead of the low attack you get a tackling command grab. This is great for when you know your opponent is ready to block the low.

Up Ball(DB2): Simple upball, says it's 6 frames but is around 10/9 frames. Can be used as an AA but you can get hit out of it. Punishable on block. After patch it should be much more consistent in terms of startup, so another buff.
EX Version: Has armor, -5 on block only if your opponent blocks the 2 hits. If they block only 1 hit then you will punished

Blade Toss(DF2): Simple knife toss, it's a high hitting projectile with good recovery and speed. 16 frame start up and- 7 on block. Very similar to Shinnok's Gun
EX Version: A seriously good move than alot of people aren't using. It's +9 on block so you can use it after F4/F21 to get in and be +9 and do a mixup, or after a blocked b121 so you get to do another mixup.

Blade Slice(DB1): A swinging blade slice, it's kinda slow but has very good range. Ok so this special is now the reason why Cutthroat is so ridiculous now, it was buffed to be only -5 on block, meaning that Cutthroat now has a universal safe special move. Yes, it's a bit slow but the range on it is very good and leaves the opponent standing on hit and allows you to run in and do a 50/50 on them, not guaranteed but if you read this you can F212 and to a full combo. Hitbox was also buffed.
EX Version: Same deal but this time it launches them into the air for a full combo, does not have armor though. Full combo punishable on block.

Power Up(DD3): A buff move where Kano does a chest bump and gains a substantial boost to his damage and chip at the cost of losing roughly 1.2% health a second for 10 seconds. It goes away if your opponent manages to hit you.
Ex Version:I used to bitch about this move ever since the 9/1/15 patch changes but I've gotten over it. Ex buff functions as a combo extender and frame trap tool, the buff amount is the same as the normal version and it damages you the same amount. It's very good for when you have 2 bars and when you need to close out a round. But if you have 1 bar and it's early in the round it's better to just use optimized DB1 combos to save your health. Both versions last long enough to be used in 2 combos back to to back.

:x-Ray(Lacerator): Swag points x 1000 and can AA. No real use for it besides that since it has pretty poor range, it starts up in 21 frames, -8 on block, and does 32%.

Movement

- Just wanted to quickly touch up on this subject. Kano has some of the best mobility in the game, his Forward Dash and Back dash are both very fast, cover a lot of distance, and is great for trip-guarding, plus his Air ball and Kano ball make getting in against some characters a breeze. Run speed and Walk speed are also decent, so just remember you have all the tools for getting in and out easily.

Ex Buff
- After the 9/1/15 patch change the Ex Buff got changed quite a bit. The damage got toned way the fuck down and it damages you like regular buff, but now it recovers much much faster and as a result it can be used as a combo extender or serve as an an alternate way to frame trap over Ex knives. The frame data when canceled into Ex buff is:
B12 xx Ex Buff: +9
B121 xx Ex Buff: +12
4 xx Ex Buff: +15
112 xx Ex Buff: +5
b31 xx Ex Buff: +9
b3 xx Ex Buff: +8
32 xx Ex Buff: +5
f2 xx Ex Buff: +3
f21 xx Ex Buff: +6

For Lazy people: If you're doing 112, 32, F2, or F21 and you see that they block it then use Ex knives instead since they're +9. Any other mentioned string into Ex buff is fine.
- Now before you start going around mashing DD3+block at the end of every string there are things you should realize. Yes, you can do combos like B12/B31 xx Ex Buff F212 F212 112 xx Straight Ball, which means that your 50/50s lead to a full combo or are +9 on block for a bar. But these 1 Bar Ex Buff combos will drain your health(up to 15%), essentially do the same as the fully optimized Ex DB1 combos, and Ex knives will also leave you at +9 on all strings, won't drain your health, and build more meter when compared to Ex buff.
-Ex Buff is best used when you have 2 or more bars and you know you can close the round/game out with a combo. A combo like [Starter] xx Ex buff 112 DB1EX 2 xx DB1 112 xx Straight Ball will do 50%-ish and will work anywhere on the screen. Also Ex buff has enough duration to last for 2 combos so if you see that you're opponent has no bar and you got them in a combo, activate Ex buff immediately and try to kill them as fast as you can. Ex Buff will not kill you(I think), so it serves as a FANTASTIC clutch tool.
-Another cool thing about Ex buff is that it has armor. Now this might not seem that important but what it means is that you can parry wakeup attacks. And if you're in the corner, it becomes extremely strong because you're essentially able to "option select" against wakeup attacks and get a free 50/50. Watch the Video of Mustard in his lovely British voice explaining. It's a VERY POWERFUL TOOL so watch the video pls.

As of the latest patch Ex buffs do a bit more damage than optimized Ex DB1 combos since DB1 in combos now scales them a bit more ( a very small amount, but it still might make a difference in a match, read the combos section for exact amounts)

Combos
Starter = F4 or B12 or B31 or 112 or B121 (Doing B121 results in more gravity for the combo since the last hit of B121 puts the opponent in an air-born state so some long combos will not land most should be fine or require a tiny bit of combo tweaking)

Uncolored = No buff, Orange = With Buff Active

Midscreen
Meterless
-F212 2 xx DB1 112 xx BF3 [30/37%]
-Starter xx BF3[13/18-20/27%]

-Starter xx DB1 [10-16/13-20% RESTAND]
One Bar
-Starter xx DB1EX 2 xx DB1 112 xx BF3 [32/38%-37/46%]
-F212 2 xx DB1 112 xx DB1EX 4 xx BF3 [37/46%]

-Starter xx DD3EX F212 2 xx DB1 112 xx BF3 [37-42% Buff active]

Two Bar
-Starter xx DD3EX 112 xx DB1EX 2 xx DB1 112 xx BF3 [45-50% Buff Active]

Corner
Meterless
-B121 xx DF2 D3 11 112 xx BF3 [32-40%]
-F212 B312 11 112 xx BF3 [35-43%]
-B312 D3 D3 32 112 xx BF3 [35-43%]
-B312 B312 112 xx BF3 [37-46%]

One Bar
-B121 xx DF2 D3 11 112 xx DB1EX NJP 112 xx BF3 [41-52%]
-F212 B1 xx DF2 112 xx DB1EX NJP 112 xx BF3 [44/55%]
-B312 D3 D3 32 112 xx DB1EX NJP 112 xx BF3 [44/54%]
-B312 B312 112 xx DB1EX NJP 112 xx BF3 [48/60%]

-Starter xx DB1EX 4 xx DB1 D3 D3 D3 112 xx BF3 [36-41%/46-51%]
-Starter xx DD3EX B312 D3 D3 32 112 xx BF3 [47% Buff Active]
-Starter xx DD3EX B312 B312 112 xx BF3 [54-50% Buff Active]

Two Bars
-B312 B312 112 xx DB1EX 4 xx DB1EX 112 xx BF3[53-67%]
-[STARTER] xx DD3EX B312 D3 D3 32 112 xx DB1EX NJP 112 xx BF3 [53-60%]
-[STARTER] xx DD3EX B312 32 112 xx DB1EX NJP 112 xx BF3 [58%-64%]
I personally don't think 3 bar combos are worth it so I've excluded them from this list. But if you have a useful 3 bar combo that deserves to be here then feel free to share.

Gameplan
- The main idea behind Cutthroat is to play Footsies until you win and come in with your safe 50/50 mixup game, or if you happen to have a bar you can do F21/F4 Ex Knives and be +9 in your opponents face. Once you're in, you can do B121 which is 0 on block or B31 which is +1 on block, if either option is blocked you will still be at frame advantage because you're opponent has to unblock. One thing that I don't see any Kanos doing is B121 xx Ex Knives, B121 is easily hitconfirmable so if the B121 hits you can launch for 35%+ and if it's blocked you toss out Ex knives and do another safe block string. Of course after Ex Knives they could armor out or back dash if you use a normal with terrible range, but you can bait out armor with Ex Buff or punish backdashes with F212/F4. Post patch DB1 is now only -5 so it's a completely safe special move, I don't feel like going through this whole section to modify it but what you should know is that you should always end F21 with DB1 on block and it's a good idea to throw out DB1 in neutral and randomly at the end of strings since you have nothing to lose. Also be sure to mix up with knives and DB1 in neutral, since they'll usually be crouching to duck knives and DB1 will catch them.

The main thing to remember is DB1 is gawdlike.

-Getting the opponent to the corner is key with Kano because in the corner he doesn't have to rely on DB1 EX to launch, B312 and B121 xx Knife toss will leave your opponent in a juggle state allowing for 33%+ combos while saving meter. The opponent won't be able to backdash out of your Ex knives blockstrings so unless they have armor they will undoubtedly be stuck there for quite some time.

---A general idea of what do at any given time.--

-Fullscreen and same health: You can throw knives and zone for a bit against rushdown characters. Or do Air-Ball on read against zoners and start your mixup game.
-Fullscreen and health advantage: Same deal as above.
-Fullscreen and health disadvantage: You're going to want to come in and start your 50/50s and pressure game.

-Footsie range and same health: You can back up and zone/continue footsies, or win in footsies to come in and start 50/50 and pressure game, or do F21/F4 Ex knives and be +9 in their face.
-Footsie range and health advantage: Same deal as above, he can be played offensively and defensively.
-Footsie range and health disadvatage: Win in footsies or do F21/F4 ex knives

-Close Range: Anytime you're at close range you're always going to want to do the 50/50 game because you'll either be at 0(overhead) or +1(low) after your mixup is blocked. Here is just a small idea of things you can do while you're in their face:
-F21/F4 xx Ex knives RC B121/B31
-After a D4/D3 on hit: RC B121 xx Ex knives RC B121/ B31/Grab
-B121/B31 (Do a low poke or bait out the opponent to press buttons and punish accordingly)
-F21/F4 backdash and whiff punish.
-B121/B31 wait for armored attack and do Ex Buff and punish.
-Bait wakeups with Ex Buff and punish accordingly.

Summary

All in all, Cutthroat Kano is a fantastic character that doesn't have any noticeable weaknesses but has plenty of strengths that work well in MKX. His safe 50/50 game, Ex knives, movement, and advancing normals allow him to stay on top of his opponent and he can also get out/stay out of trouble with his great backdash, knives, and armored launcher.

-My personal rating of Cutthroat Kano based on M2Dave's Rate Your Character thread-

Post-patch
1. 50/50 mixups and pressure: 5/5
2. Neutral game and Footsies: 5/5
3. Defensive options: 4.5/5
4. Zoning and Anti-Zoning: 4/5
5. Damage: 5/5

Total: 23.5/25

Post patch he is no longer a meter-intensive character, having meter helps a great deal but it's no longer necessary to always be watching your bar.

This is a LIVING guide so some things will be subject to change as new knowledge is acquired and patches happen so be on the look out for updates as well.

Shoutouts to :
@DougDFC for running the Kano combo thread so that I could find everything easily :p
@Espio who impressed me so much with his Goro thread that I had to make one for Cutthroat.
@Youphemism For being the resident potato of the Kano community, <3 you bro.
@MrInsaynne for being the only Kano placing in tourneys
@ETC AdmiralAugustus Being awesome in the Kano forums
@CanadianBaconX The man who found out the Ex buff blowing up wakeups tech.
@Pig Of The Hut If you still want me to make you a Liu Kang guide I will, but Cutthroat's pretty good and for some reason I'd think you'd like him:)
@The rest of the Kano community who are still going strong with this character and anyone else on TYM who enjoys this game for how fun it is, shoutouts to you all. Fuck off Saltshaker and Dingleberry Smarrgasm.

-Fin

Last edited:
This is awesome. I want to learn all three Kano's, but Cutthroat gives me difficulty (he's more meter reliant in his combos, which is something I struggle managing, hence maining Commando).

Hopefully this will help.

(BTW, creating guides is the third most popular TYM activity next to buff/nerf lists. and insulting other members with gifs by quite a margin. Why try to help people when you can bitch and moan?)

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
Calls me a potato even though he agrees with me on how good at least Cutthroat is :DOGE And you even have a great rating! Where's the downplaying dude? :tonyt

If you think B1 has the absolute worst range in the game then you clearly haven't played Jacqui :p
What do you mean by Predator's D4? Kano's D4 isn't the same, he sticks out his leg....do you mean range-wise?
Where are the DB1 combos that do max damage? Did you not find any notated?
Also I'm pretty sure F21 is -6 but I'll have to double check that.

Overall, great guide! Don't have anything to add myself right now but if I do I'll post it here.

Derptile

RIP Ex Smash
Calls me a potato even though he agrees with me on how good at least Cutthroat is :DOGE And you even have a great rating! Where's the downplaying dude? :tonyt

If you think B1 has the absolute worst range in the game then you clearly haven't played Jacqui :p
What do you mean by Predator's D4? Kano's D4 isn't the same, he sticks out his leg....do you mean range-wise?
Where are the DB1 combos that do max damage? Did you not find any notated?
Also I'm pretty sure F21 is -6 but I'll have to double check that.

Overall, great guide! Don't have anything to add myself right now but if I do I'll post it here.
I've never downplayed Cutthroat he's soooooooo good, but Cybernetic is a different story and we'll argue about it later :joker:

Also I mean predator and Kano essentially have the same D4. 8 frames, low profiles, good range, -7-ish on block. EDIT: Oh fuck me, -13 is alot different lmao. I need to brush up on predator.

The max damage db1 combos are there. Starter xx DB1EX RC B12 xx DB1 112 DB2 is what I wrote, 41% if you start with 112.

And from what I remember you can't punish F21 with Lao's Spin. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm 85.76% sure I'm right.

Last edited:

Ray'sGoodLiquor

I don't care I'm not a competitive player anymore
Cutthroat is probably the funnest variation in the game. Thanks for the comprehensive guide, and I hope you're around to update it when Kano gets buffs in the upcoming patch. Cutthroat is gonna be a sleeper.

Derptile

RIP Ex Smash
Cutthroat is probably the funnest variation in the game. Thanks for the comprehensive guide, and I hope you're around to update it when Kano gets buffs in the upcoming patch. Cutthroat is gonna be a sleeper.
Cutthroat will probably stay as he is, which is a good thing considering just how good and fair he is.

But I'll still be praying for those Cybernetic and Commando buffs as usual.

Ray'sGoodLiquor

I don't care I'm not a competitive player anymore
Cutthroat will probably stay as he is, which is a good thing considering just how good and fair he is.

But I'll still be praying for those Cybernetic and Commando buffs as usual.
The only thing I want is to be able to land B1 in pressure without having to run cancel. The hitbox could be adjusted just a tad and it wouldn't throw his balance off. I will say though, they have to be careful balancing Kano because tipping CT slightly too much could launch him higher than deserved. His damage is already redonkulous.

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
I've never downplayed Cutthroat he's soooooooo good, but Cybernetic is a different story and we'll argue about it later :joker:

Also I mean predator and Kano essentially have the same D4. 8 frames, low profiles, good range, -7-ish on block. EDIT: Oh fuck me, -13 is alot different lmao. I need to brush up on predator.

The max damage db1 combos are there. Starter xx DB1EX RC B12 xx DB1 112 DB2 is what I wrote, 41% if you start with 112.

And from what I remember you can't punish F21 with Lao's Spin. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm 85.76% sure I'm right.
Lololol

Yeah Predators is a bit different haha.

Ah I must have missed them then.

No you're right, Lao can't punish it, but his spin isn't 6 frames anyway. F21 is -6 (I'm pretty sure) and spin is 7 frames in every variation.

LEGI0N47

I like to play bad characters
Great thread and info. However I do not agree with your Dave grading system. Here is my spin on that and why.

50/50 Mix up and Pressure 3-3.5/5
Neutral game & Footsies 4/5-Agreed
Defense Options 3/5
Zoning & Anti-zoning 3.5, maybe 4/5-Agreed
Damage 4/5

50/50 mix up and pressure I don't think he makes the top rank. As you sited in his weakness you have to be literally touching fronts to have the B1 connect with the back step. which is a very cool move might I add, just wish it AA'd better :( Obviously this shines in the corner as well as oki after conditioning or read. But he's most certainly not in the league of run up and test them with whatever you chose as many other chars are. After EX knives on block you are at a solid push back distance to where you must RC your 50/50 attempt and it can be escaped with armor or a well timed back dash quite often. Maybe I just suck or am victim to on-line? It is cleary better to attempt F21 or F4 IMO to catch button presses but you can loose pressure once blocked. Basically I find it relatively easy to lose pressure without conditioning of some sort or meter. It is also difficult to execute his 50/50 in general. It basically requires certain circumstances reads or outright yoloing lol. However once you get to where you know when to apply it, it's very good.

Defense options. Well you said it yourself, his fastest normal is 8f. That really sucks when trying to poke out of a lot in this game. Yes the backdash is good but there are so many normals that punish backdashing in this game it's silly, but MU knowledge is huge here. Cancelled EX black dragon ball is fantastic as a defensive option on read that I don't think many people are capitalizing on enough currently, myself included. However when it's literally your only option against so much besides holding pressure or chancing a backdash and cost meter, and if you want real damage another bar, it's a tough sell for me to say 4/5.

Only reason I don't think he's 5/5 on damage is because of the difficulty or executing EX buff. You need a solid read, which is a fancy way of saying a guess in almost every case, or need to make a 1 frame link off of a difficult to get OH. Basically it's rather circumstantial. I also won't give him top rank because of the sheer amount of meter he needs to get high damage. The character is extremely meter hungry! A weakness that I feel you missed in that section. But his burst damage with 2 bars spent is amazing. However drop the ball on those bars and you can be at a serious disadvantage.

Maybe in the future I'll be proven flat wrong here, but that's just how I see it. I'm open to see where you think I'm off because it's possible I am.

MsMiharo

Kuff Bano
Great guide. I'm pretty convinced it's his worst variation so I haven't dabbled with it but I'm more and more feeling the urge to become a Kano specialist so I need to learn this variation as well. I just wish ex knives weren't so fucking glitched.

Derptile

RIP Ex Smash
Great thread and info. However I do not agree with your Dave grading system. Here is my spin on that and why.

50/50 Mix up and Pressure 3-3.5/5
Neutral game & Footsies 4/5-Agreed
Defense Options 3/5
Zoning & Anti-zoning 3.5, maybe 4/5-Agreed
Damage 4/5

50/50 mix up and pressure I don't think he makes the top rank. As you sited in his weakness you have to be literally touching fronts to have the B1 connect with the back step. which is a very cool move might I add, just wish it AA'd better :( Obviously this shines in the corner as well as oki after conditioning or read. But he's most certainly not in the league of run up and test them with whatever you chose as many other chars are. After EX knives on block you are at a solid push back distance to where you must RC your 50/50 attempt and it can be escaped with armor or a well timed back dash quite often. Maybe I just suck or am victim to on-line? It is cleary better to attempt F21 or F4 IMO to catch button presses but you can loose pressure once blocked. Basically I find it relatively easy to lose pressure without conditioning of some sort or meter. It is also difficult to execute his 50/50 in general. It basically requires certain circumstances reads or outright yoloing lol. However once you get to where you know when to apply it, it's very good.

Defense options. Well you said it yourself, his fastest normal is 8f. That really sucks when trying to poke out of a lot in this game. Yes the backdash is good but there are so many normals that punish backdashing in this game it's silly, but MU knowledge is huge here. Cancelled EX black dragon ball is fantastic as a defensive option on read that I don't think many people are capitalizing on enough currently, myself included. However when it's literally your only option against so much besides holding pressure or chancing a backdash and cost meter, and if you want real damage another bar, it's a tough sell for me to say 4/5.

Only reason I don't think he's 5/5 on damage is because of the difficulty or executing EX buff. You need a solid read, which is a fancy way of saying a guess in almost every case, or need to make a 1 frame link off of a difficult to get OH. Basically it's rather circumstantial. I also won't give him top rank because of the sheer amount of meter he needs to get high damage. The character is extremely meter hungry! A weakness that I feel you missed in that section. But his burst damage with 2 bars spent is amazing. However drop the ball on those bars and you can be at a serious disadvantage.

Maybe in the future I'll be proven flat wrong here, but that's just how I see it. I'm open to see where you think I'm off because it's possible I am.
Well for 50/50 and pressure you gotta look at it like this, you have a overhead that is 0 on block and a low that's +1 on block. You can do block strings like b121 Ex knives RC B121 which is 8 hits, builds alot of bar back, leaves you at 0, and you can change the B121 follow up to F21 to catch backdashes, 11 to break most armor, B31 for low, grab if they block, or even crossup if you felt like. I do agree having to run in to do b121 after Ex knives is pretty dumb and it's probably why you think his pressure is not as good because RCing online is LMAO. I'm still an advocate of increasing B1 range so that it would hit after Ex knives(The only buff Cutthroat ever needs) .

For defense I think you're really underestimating how good that backdash is, it gets you out of EVERYTHING and he has a safe armored move + armored launcher for when the shit hits the fan. I agree that not having a move under 8 frames sucks but this is not MK9 where it was necessary to have fast pokes(or they could make upball like the frame data says but Paulo would never let that happen). I would still say his 4/5 but not anything lower. Liu Kang is an example of a 3/5 defense character and he cannot deal with pressure at all.

I can see the case for saying how meter hungry he is and putting his damage at 4/5. But then I see 30% meterless midscreen, safe overhead and low doing 38% or 112 punishers for 41% one bar, madness damage for 2 bars, and then his great corner damage which doesn't even need meter to break 35%. His damage is fine at 5/5, cutthroat is all about mixups and putting the hurt on the opponents.

Last edited:

LEGI0N47

I like to play bad characters
Well for 50/50 and pressure you gotta look at it like this, you have a overhead that is 0 on block and a low that's +1 on block. You can do block strings like b121 Ex knives RC B121 which is 8 hits, builds alot of bar back, leaves you at 0, and you can change the B121 follow up to F21 to catch backdashes, 11 to break most armor, B31 for low, grab if they block, or even crossup if you felt like. I do agree having to run in to do b121 after Ex knives is pretty dumb and it's probably why you think his pressure is not as good because RCing online is LMAO. I'm still an advocate of increasing B1 range so that it would hit after Ex knives(The only buff Cutthroat ever needs) .

For defense I think you're really underestimating how good that backdash is, it gets you out of EVERYTHING and he has a safe armored move + armored launcher for when the shit hits the fan. I agree that not having a move under 8 frames sucks but this is not MK9 where it was necessary to have fast pokes(or they could make upball like the frame data says but Paulo would never let that happen). I would still say his 4/5 but not anything lower. Liu Kang is an example of a 3/5 defense character and he cannot deal with pressure at all.

I can see the case for saying how meter hungry he is and putting his damage at 4/5. But then I see 30% meterless midscreen, safe overhead and low doing 38% or 112 punishers for 41% one bar, madness damage for 2 bars, and then his great corner damage which doesn't even need meter to break 35%. His damage is fine at 5/5, cutthroat is all about mixups and putting the hurt on the opponents.
I was being rather linier with my approach so some good stuff here, especially the pressure part. I really wish I could play more than on-line like I did in the states. There was a tourney today that's not exactly local, guess it is for here though. It's the tourney at taco's that's being streamed right now. I've just been entirely too busy to prep or get the time off and it's 7-8 hours away anyway. But for most players on-line is the game despite how lulz worthy it is. Couldn't agree more on a brush up to the B1 range.

I still think 4/5 on damage even with those points. I just look at EX buff like KK totums and to me that's what push's him 5/5. I might change my view on that later though. But it is by far his best variation for damage even without the buff. Now that I say that maybe he is 5/5 lol.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
@MrInsaynne Cutt up close for me and 50/50 usage works very different than described here when people know the MU. You can probably explain better than I can. Can you share some thoughts on this, or on the guide as a whole.

NHDR

Noob
Great guide, very nice! I like how to posted what to do based on where you are on stage and what your health is. I feel most guides miss out on that. Time to work on my run cancels.