What's new

Strategy Dagger Checking in the corner?

ryublaze

Noob

EDIT: When I made this video I COMPLETELY forgot about EX wake-up attacks having 20 frames of invincibility lol. Still this might be useful against non-enhanced wake-up attacks.

This is nothing new, just something that I've been doing for a while but never talked about. Not sure what to call it, so I just call it dagger checking.

After any Red Slide knockdown in the corner, you can jump back and throw an Air Dagger (Close), which can interrupt some wake-up attacks. If it hits, Skarlet can continue her pressure. Some wake-up attacks can beat it, but they are usually unsafe on block so your opponent has to make a read. Skarlet can also combo off of the Air Dagger against some wake-up attacks like Scorpion's Teleport, Sub-Zero's Ice Clone, and Kitana's Square Boost.

The video is kind of long so feel free to skip around to see how this works against different characters. I only go through Scorpion, Liu Kang, Kung Lao, Sub-Zero, Kitana, and Sektor but it's also effective against other characters like Ermac.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Johnny2d Eddy Wang have you guys tested this vs. every character? We should get a list of which characters to do this on and which you shouldn't. Kung Lao is obviously a no-no. :p
The strategy is good, but some conditions need to be imposed first if you want to use against everyone even Kung Lao.

Anyway, this tech works only to a certain degree, against characters which wakeup game are considered to be Type D or C, B to S doesn't work, even agains C type characters its starts to get a bit doubtful.

Anyhow, if i'm fighting a D or C type of character since their normal wakeup game doesn't work before the 11 frames of invincibility, so i just use F212,1+2 string instead, if they block is a lot more chip and most of the cases their forced to block standing, they have to respect it or they will eat the full combo. In cases where is a wakeup projectile, Skarlet can still counter read to avoid the trade and win.

JAP knows pretty well which characters have a wakeup on the grade of: S, A, B, C, and D, its on his shang tsung video.

ryublaze

Noob
The strategy is good, but some conditions need to be imposed first if you want to use against everyone even Kung Lao.

Anyway, this tech works only to a certain degree, against characters which wakeup game are considered to be Type D or C, B to S doesn't work, even agains C type characters its starts to get a bit doubtful.

Anyhow, if i'm fighting a D or C type of character since their normal wakeup game doesn't work before the 11 frames of invincibility, so i just use F212,1+2 string instead, if they block is a lot more chip and most of the cases their forced to block standing, they have to respect it or they will eat the full combo. In cases where is a wakeup projectile, Skarlet can still counter read to avoid the trade and win.

JAP knows pretty well which characters have a wakeup on the grade of: S, A, B, C, and D, its on his shang tsung video.
not sure which characters are in those "grades". If the opponent stays grounded and u do f2,1,2,1+2 in the corner won't you go over them and put urself in the corner and whiff the string?

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
not sure which characters are in those "grades". If the opponent stays grounded and u do f2,1,2,1+2 in the corner won't you go over them and put urself in the corner and whiff the string?
not corner, sorry if i forgot to mention before, but midscreen is pretty good.

Staying grounded is also a choice, which disables completely their invincibility frames and any move stops being a wakeup attack, U3 works the same way F212, so U3~dd should OTG them.

Ok just completely forgot about EX wake-ups having 20 frames of invincibility lol. Screw this idea :(
The tech is still good in the corner, but only to a certain degree ^^
I mean, if you impose respect that any wakeup can be counter punished by skarlet, you will successfully OTG them according to your reads.
Once the dagger gets blocked, most of the players generally tries to jump out of the corner.

AssassiN

Noob
It's about time I show some anti wake-up stuff, been holding too much stuff for my own.
Actually got some fucked up shit against Scorpion, made me lol when I found it.
Thread coming soon with possible vid.

zaf

professor
just curious.. sometimes i wonder if people do certain tech because they have more access to find the by using stick

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
just curious.. sometimes i wonder if people do certain tech because they have more access to find the by using stick
I actually find MK being better played on Pad than stick, and even better on Hitbox than Pad, it helps to input things easier than on Stick (that's my opinion only).

On stick hurts a bit doing bf and udf, on pad is much easier, and hitbox is just godlike due the multiple finger pressing.

zaf

professor
See the thing about stick is you use your index finger, middle and ring finger for punches/kicks . All of which have much faster button presses then a thumb. They are better for reactive presses too.

Doing a udf motion on stick is the same as a qcf really, you just start the stick in another spot before doing the qcf.

i just find thumbs really slow in general. the other fingers will always be faster and that will help in fighters.
you just need to get used to a stick instead of a dpad.

mk did start in arcades and had sticks way long ago. even with the weird inputs.
all the mk1,mk2 and umk3 players are on stick, except reo.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
See the thing about stick is you use your index finger, middle and ring finger for punches/kicks . All of which have much faster button presses then a thumb. They are better for reactive presses too.

Doing a udf motion on stick is the same as a qcf really, you just start the stick in another spot before doing the qcf.

i just find thumbs really slow in general. the other fingers will always be faster and that will help in fighters.
you just need to get used to a stick instead of a dpad.

mk did start in arcades and had sticks way long ago. even with the weird inputs.
all the mk1,mk2 and umk3 players are on stick, except reo.
Not me lol, i'm ubber fast on D-Pad, i can assure you this. ^^
But i understand your POV tho, i just think My speed suits enough to do all the fastest moves i need on MK, besides Skarlet's iaD which is only much easier on a hitbox, and less easier on a stick IMO.

And yes, i learned to play Video games on Stick, so i know how to manage them pretty well, in fact i will use them in Injustice because it seems to have much profit there. ^^

zaf

professor
You just showed me videos on block strings / combos etc. That is the easiest part of any fighter. Learning the combos. Anyone can do that, you can train a monkey to do that.

What im talking about is using a stick because index fingers, middle and ring fingers are physically faster then thumbs. When someone wants to jump in on you, and you perform an AA on pad you are using your thumbs. When you do this on a stick you will always react faster with your other fingers i mentioned over your thumbs.

I can hit every combo i want on a pad too and there are some for ermac that require speed and precision.

YOU may have fast thumbs, but i can assure you that your fingers are faster.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
I will take that in consideration, i'll would want to try on hitbox tho, i just feel unconfortable playing on the stick while playing mk in general

zaf

professor
That is my biggest problem with MK. It kind of just came to me now. I miss certain things, because my fingers are faster then my thumbs. So its a physical issue and not a mental one.

hitbox is so cheap.

for kabal iagb, you just need to hold up since it is a seperate button and mash on back and 1.
so lame.