What's new

Custom Box - Fair price?

aj1701

Noob
So my friend at work was kind enough to build the box for my hitbox like controller. I gave him the layout for drilling and the dimensions, and he built it out of MDF. $10 for materials is what he told me, and it took him four hours. I'd like to pay him for his time, but I'm not sure what a fair price would be.

Any suggestions?

nwo

Noob
I'd say put a picture and I could tell you. I'd give him at least $40, since he spent $10 on materials. This is a ballpark, maybe he owes you a favor?

I'm a carpenter, and if my friend gave me fifty bucks labor for popping a little box like that to together I would be happy.

aj1701

Noob
Thanks guys, I have him a total of $75 for the parts and labor. He seemed happy with that. Now I just need to find the sample control panel to see what color spray paint I want to use. :D

KRYS9984

Noob
The suggested prices seem fair; if it was more intricate or he completed the project from A to Z, you're looking at a bigger price tag.

However, IMHO, I wouldn't charge a friend for something like this because it's not really that complex. If he's a good buddy of yours, I'm sure he did it out of friendship (I would / have done the same) and you can return him the favor some day.

Unless it truly is a big job that requires days not hours, there really is no need for money between friends, but it's your call.

Johnny2d

Xbl: Johnny2Die
Think of how many hours it took, then a respectable amount per hour will suffice. Paying $40 after the material cost means you are paying your friend less than $10 an hour... He must not be a good friend :( I would double it.

Johnny2d

Xbl: Johnny2Die
The suggested prices seem fair; if it was more intricate or he completed the project from A to Z, you're looking at a bigger price tag.

However, IMHO, I wouldn't charge a friend for something like this because it's not really that complex. If he's a good buddy of yours, I'm sure he did it out of friendship (I would / have done the same) and you can return him the favor some day.

Unless it truly is a big job that requires days not hours, there really is no need for money between friends, but it's your call.
I agree with this too as long as the arrangement is understood going into the project. Quid pro quo makes the world go round.