What's new

Video/Tutorial Countering Ares's Wake-Up Attacks - Tutorial by 4x4lo8o

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
Ares is high-mid tier. People struggle fighting him and I'm just trying to help :coffee:
I'm just kidding, man.

After playing Ares since day 1 though, I don't know that he's high mid-tier, though. I'd definitely put him in the bottom 10, especially after all the other lower tier guys are getting buffs. I'm hoping Ares gets a little of the same treatment, or at least fix his bugs.

4x4lo8o

Noob
I'm just kidding, man.

After playing Ares since day 1 though, I don't know that he's high mid-tier, though. I'd definitely put him in the bottom 10, especially after all the other lower tier guys are getting buffs. I'm hoping Ares gets a little of the same treatment, or at least fix his bugs.

Haha, I was too. I think Ares is probably bottom 5. Ares tends to not be acknowledged as the low tier character he is though, so this thread is part of my attempt to fix that perception before it's too late for some buffs that he desperately needs. I figured I may as well try to make my downplaying useful.

Ares is considered mid-high tier by people who don't know the match up. His zoning seems really powerful until you learn the weaknesses on his tools. I can get in on Ares a lot easier than Superman, Black Adam etc...

Anyone who knows the match up is going to destroy Ares on wake up. He needs buffs though I'll leave it to Ares mains to figure out the specifics.

1man3letters

Alpha Tarkatan - Moderator
said it before and will prob end up saying it many more times....

ares has the WORST wakeup options in this game.

its not like his zoning is on par with like for example say raven to justify him not being able to get off the ground :/

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
I like how Bane is strongest on oki, Ares is weakest, yet the general Ares consensus is its not a losing MU. :coffee:That aside, all they need to do is Shazam up his tele so it can't be messed with and he'll have at least one wake-up.

lololol, like this?

Oh my god. I've never been able to see this in such detail before. Ares literally teleports BEHIND his opponent... AND MAGICALLY TELEPORTS BACK IN FRONT AGAIN!? That means even if you do in front teleport, you'll still end up in front! What the hell!?If this isn't fixed then I'm positive that all of the cast will be able to make sure that Ares's teleport cannot be used as a viable wakeup. I'm pretty sure some strings like GL's b13 need to hit in order to continue, so I bet there's an option select for some characters where you can attempt this and still have time to punish a godsmack if Ares uses it. What the hell.

4x4lo8o

Noob
Oh my god. I've never been able to see this in such detail before. Ares literally teleports BEHIND his opponent... AND MAGICALLY TELEPORTS BACK IN FRONT TO!? That means even if you do in front teleport, you'll still end up in front! What the hell!?If this isn't fixed then I'm positive that all of the cast will be able to make sure that Ares's teleport cannot be used as a viable wakeup. I'm pretty sure some strings like GL's b13 need to hit in order to continue, so I bet there's an option select for some characters where you can attempt this and still have time to punish a godsmack if Ares uses it. What the hell.
Yeah, I didn't think to demonstrate it but teleporting in front doesn't help at all. As you pointed out, it's not like it's reversing inputs or something and giving you the wrong teleport - it tries to teleport you behind them then changes its mind and puts you in front of them facing the wrong direction. The other I just realized with the recording is that during the Superman part Ares wasn't set to block. During the GL part it was set to auto block, and in the case that for some reason you are able to block I think it might do some sort of weird cross up thing because you're facing the wrong direction. Not sure, needs more testing.

Also, I don't know how clear it was in the video, but I was starting the f2 with Superman after the wake up started. So it's not like you can see that they're doing a forward advancing move and decide not to wake up. It might even be possible to do on reaction to the wake up...
Actually now that I think about it, this is probably another universal way to destroy Ares wake ups. It blows up both teleports, should blow up fireball and invis, gives pressure on block, and probably makes close Godsmack whiff. I'll test it more and post some tutorial videos. I'm fairly certain it's viable based on the number of times it's been done to me during real matches.

colt hecterrific GGA 16 Bit, please fix this if it's possible

The Gabriel

Mean Man
This thread is so depressing

...because NRS' answer to all this is going to be to give Ares less recovery on up axe. or a shinier sword.