What's new

Cost of attending MLG/EVO/Majors - Also tips/advice on how to save

A couple of suggestions from my personal experiences:

Prices for flights can fluctuate daily. I have heard from some people that Tuesday/Wednesday is typically the best days to get the best prices on flights, but I'm not sure how true that is. Anyway, when searching for a flight, I use the Travel section on Bing because of its price predictor. It keeps track of the previous prices for flights, and makes a recommendation on whether you should buy now or wait for prices to drop based on previous behavior.

Look for shuttle services at the airport. For example, Super Shuttle will get you a round trip shuttle from the airport to your hotel in Dallas for around $18. Significantly cheaper than a cab usually is (even when splitting costs).

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
Morieris

Thanks man, I'll add this in the second post I currently have reserved

Shuttles > taxi

And yes Tuesday is the best day for purchasing flights. Idk why but it just is

Besides money another reason someone wont want to come to a tournament is the fact that its almost always its the same people taking top 8 few fluctuations, and the average gamer will just think he will get destroyed and not have fun. Plus if you don't know anyone , you wouldn't have connections knowing where the casuals are happening ect....

I can't go to tournaments anymore cause my wife hates MK and hates when I play and said I can't go to any more tournys, plus im in school

• Quit Smoking. First off you smell, second you're killing yourself and third you're killing your Wallet. If you smoke a pack of day thats $1825.00 a year. YOU'RE SPENDING ALMOST $2000 TO KILL YOURSELF a year. You could spend this money in your vacations or better yet quit for 5 years and you know have a more than solid down payment on a house. lol or you attend every tourney lmao and then some. Moral of this story is giving up something like this that may be harming you can only provide positive returns.
Finally something we agree on!! this is a first, Smoking suck...

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
That last bullet point is godlike.
I was expecting so much heat from that bullet point but in the end i was like I dont give a hell, thats how i feel. lol

Besides money another reason someone wont want to come to a tournament is the fact that its almost always its the same people taking top 8 few fluctuations, and the average gamer will just think he will get destroyed and not have fun. Plus if you don't know anyone , you wouldn't have connections knowing where the casuals are happening ect....

I can't go to tournaments anymore cause my wife hates MK and hates when I play and said I can't go to any more tournys, plus im in school
i completely understand

but in terms of same top 8 players this year that broke that mold were
kt smith
curbo
sonic fox
joker
showtime
cat
etc
etc

when you think about it, a lot of different people have made top 8 especially after you get past the top 4-5

Finally something we agree on!! this is a first, Smoking suck...
and that my friend is why we are secretly friends :)

I forgive u now lol

D

Deleted member 9158

Lol Or you could quit cause it's expensive, smells and kills u

FTR I smoked heavy from age 15-21

Quit cold turkey - with determination it can be done
I don't smoke to begin with, and never have. But I'm too poor cause of school tuition and rent.

#firstworldproblems

A lot of times you can find significant discounts by going through a specific airline instead of using a site like priceline or travelocity. My last atlanta trip was half the cost of using those sites.

if all else fails there is always the OMG itz Andre technique... ignore all your bills, tell people you will give them money and dont, show up to majors without a dollar and expect everyone to pay for you, steal, et cetera...

Killphil

A prop on the stage of life.
Morieris

Thanks man, I'll add this in the second post I currently have reserved

Shuttles > taxi

And yes Tuesday is the best day for purchasing flights. Idk why but it just is
They actually went through which days of the week are best for purchasing things like airplane tickets, groceries, and other stuff. It was quite a convincing argument. The reason Tuesday is the best time to buy plane tickets has something to do with how they "set" new prices or rotate them or w/e its called by Wednesday morning. I don't recall the logistics of it though.

To be fair...the quit smoking thing is meh. I mean, you could say the exact same thing about going to tournies. "Quit tournies and you save thousands a year" kind of thing
Basically you're trading one hobby for another. If you're passionate about tournaments and the scene AND you're a smoker, that's money that you're pissing away to kill yourself. I do that all the time when I make a big purchase. I don't go out to the bar, I don't smoke, I don't have any other hobbies so I can afford a new console or video game when it comes out. Meanwhile smoker mcsmokey over there is coughing up a lung and can't enjoy a new video game until it hits the bargain ben basket.

Killphil

A prop on the stage of life.
Love it! I wish I could add some, but I'm terrible with money and even worse at planning. I think I decided to go to Final Round 6 hours before the last flight left lol.

In case anyone forgot though, my offer to the ladies is still open. Beat my Jade in Ftf 5 (it's online and I can do either system) and I will PayPal you $50 to go toward your next tournament. The offer is always open! Just PM me, call me out - anything you like. It may not be much, but it's a dinner or two, tank of fuel, your registration - it will help save a bit.

I know some members who have even shown interest in chipping in to see certain matches which I can stream, but if you'd like me to keep it quiet I'll respect that no proplem. I'll give two tries per player a month, there's no penalty for losing. I just want to support our scene and encourage our lovely ladies to come out and show the menfolk how to hit like a girl! :)

Menfolk, there are just too many of you. It would break my bank lol. But no worries, I'm thinking of something to do with you guys too.

How about you have a cosplay competition? For the men, I mean. :D

Skkra

PSN: Skkra
I have a Capital One Venture Card with double points. I love it and would recommend it to anyone here. Everything I buy in life goes on that card, doesn't matter if it cost me $3000 or $3. You get 2 points for every $1 you spend. Then you redeem your points on travel - I cover my Evo flight/hotel/etc entirely with points. When you redeem, you just take the price of an item and multiply by 100 to find out how many points it'll cost you. Flight was $350? That's 350 x 100 = 35,000 points and you're covered. When you're putting EVERY purchase on your card - things you're going to be buying anyway! - it adds up. Why not take free money?

I'm constantly surprised at hearing how many people do not have credit cards. GET A CREDIT CARD. PUT EVERYTHING ON IT. Pay it off every night/week. This will help you build good credit so that when it's time to get a car/house/loan, you can... ya know... actually get approved.

Being good with money is certainly a skill in and of itself. Good thread, Pig. It's certainly a skill I wish I'd developed around 18-21, instead of truly learning it near the end of my 20s. Luckily I'm a beast now. =P

astronout

see you at the top.
planning on getting a credit card as soon as i get my 1st paycheck from the Air Force. Any recommendations? I'm all ears.