What's new

Strategy - Dragon Fangs Consolidated Dragon Fang's (Living) MU Thread

Nuovo_Cabjoy

G O R O B O Y S
Hey guys, just looking at the previous MU thread I feel like there needs to be more structure. At the moment it's quite difficult easily scan through and find quick information so I've decided to recreate a MU thread specifically for DF. My intention is to provide information that helps to break down particular tools or scenarios that help Goro players in particular match ups. I'll update the OP with any sound advice from any of you guys commenting, but I'll only be updating it with information I believe is truly relevant.

- Pay attention to player habits in this match up. If the Jax player gets too eager by hitting buttons whenever they're at plus frames, you're free to EX PW right through it.
- After any blocked f3 or f4 from Pumped Up Jax, you can reversal EX PW or EX Fang Spin to blow up the follow up. On top of this, if they do a raw f3 or f4 reversal EX PW of EX Fang Spin will still punish the knee. If you're low on meter, you can neutral duck after blocking the knee to avoid Gotcha or Power Wave and punish accordingly. This is not guaranteed against Wrestler, as the f3 and f4 are parts of a string ending in a cmd grab, and in Heavy Weapons the knee can be RC'd for safety (correct me if I'm wrong here). Each variation of Jax -could- cancel the knee into his rising knee special, though this is a hard read and is punishable.

@Espio: "Dragon Fangs Goro versus Royal Storm Kitana (5-5): This match up basically boils down to your traditional rushdown character trying to get in versus your zoner trying to keep the at bay. Kitana controls the match extremely well from full screen with her an zoning and forces Goro to walk in and duck. The flip side of this is that when Goro gets up close or in footsie range, the momentum shifts to his favor by a notable margin and he absolutely crushes her on knockdown because of how weak her wake up game is especially against a character like Goro whose oki is incredibly strong.

Goro can punish ground fan toss on block with command grab, which does really good damage in this variation. Goro's down 1 getting increased range in this variation means that one of Kitana's down 1 poke pros is taken away (Goro has better low pokes anyway, but this increased range just solidifies it further).

Due to her small hitbox, command grab(when cancelled off of down 1/down 3 more or less) and other attacks sometimes whiff on her more so than other characters with average/regular to bigger hitboxes.

Fang spin being only slightly negative can make it harder for characters like Kitana, who have an 8 frame or slower poke to get out of pressure. This means she's locked down even more so than in other variations. Couple this with the addition of ex low stab being plus 12 and his other frame traps and it can lead to Kitana having to take many more risks to get out of pressure and get back to her comfort zone space that she would prefer to stay in zoning Goro.

Royal Storm Reflect is a non-issue versus Dragon Fangs Goro because his lack of zoning focus or reason to be zoning her.

Goro blows up float mix ups just fine with up 1/2, down 2 and ex fang spin is an additional option. Due to her generally slow mid normals, Goro often times does not have to respect her frame traps either. This all not taking into account that her damage got nerfed as well.

One other positive trait she has is a lack of meter reliance for combos so she can break much more frequently than other characters.

If not for Goro's less than stellar mobility, he would probably win this match up 6-4, but because of the extra effort involved in dealing with her space control and her other match up strengths swings the pendulum back to even."

DF Goro has a better time against Kung Lao than most characters. Two of KL's strongest assets (particularly in Tempest) are his j2 and his stagger pressure. When playing this match, it's important to know that most KL players generally want to be in your face and many will recklessly try to get in with j2. Thankfully we have EX db2, which completely eats this jump in and gets us some nice damage. EX db2 is also particularly useful for blowing up the teleport if you're afraid you'll mistime the AA.

As for Tempest, after a blocked hat spin we can challenge with d1, d3, b1 or armour. b121 is a good option to get some damage if they try to poke, or get plus frames if they block and wait. d1 and d3 can also be good, as they can be cancelled into PW or SG, though this is risky as KL can jump back and dive kick to punish (this is a hard read, however, so make sure you pay attention to the post hat spin meta). I still need to test if a jump back or forward avoids the b1 (afaik, it does not), but I'll update with concrete evidence soon enough.

We can be somewhat liberal with armour in this matchup (as with most) to help deal with some of the staggered pressure, but be wary of cross over jumps and make sure you don't mistime your armour and eat a string.

When being combo'd always pay attention to their 4,4 link, as it is often dropped (online) and can net you some good damage by using EX db2 between the two hits.

As with most matchups you want KL in the corner but you must be careful, because that's exactly where he wants you as well. If you're feeling confident, when you knock him down in the corner you can use the d1 OS to blow up his wakeup (a link to this OS can be found below), or you can stand outside of EX Spin's range to punish with f3 accordingly (though you need to be a bit more carful when fighting Buzzsaw or Hat Trick due to the forward advancing version of EX spin). Always pay attention to his wakeup, and pressure him if he chooses to delay.

Overall I believe this is a fairly even matchup, probably 5-5. Dragon Fangs is strongly recommended over Kuatan Warrior and Tigrar Fury here.

GET IN HIS FACE. This is an extremely momentum heavy matchup. As we all know, Quan has the potential to completely flip your life lead into a loss, so you need to do your best to get the first knockdown. Once you have him knocked down, pressuring him with b121 and 11 is a great option, since he has very few tools to help him deal with the plus frames.
Also pay attention to his wakeup. Delayed wakeup is Quan's best tool when knocked down, so be prepared to adjust your timings accordingly.

If you're not in his face, try to stay just outside of b2 range so you can punish it with f3. If he chooses to jump at this range, exdb2 will eat his incredible j1.

On defence you can armour between b32 and rune, but I recommend blocking the whole thing since he'll eventually run out of meter to stay plus, allowing you to punish. Make sure you don't miss any opportunity to punish, mistakes can get you killed against Quan.

Last edited:

Espio

Kokomo
@Cabjoy I'll start us off since I have a couple useful things to add.

Dragon Fangs Goro versus Royal Storm Kitana (5-5): This match up basically boils down to your traditional rushdown character trying to get in versus your zoner trying to keep the at bay. Kitana controls the match extremely well from full screen with her an zoning and forces Goro to walk in and duck. The flip side of this is that when Goro gets up close or in footsie range, the momentum shifts to his favor by a notable margin and he absolutely crushes her on knockdown because of how weak her wake up game is especially against a character like Goro whose oki is incredibly strong.

Goro can punish ground fan toss on block with command grab, which does really good damage in this variation. Goro's down 1 getting increased range in this variation means that one of Kitana's down 1 poke pros is taken away (Goro has better low pokes anyway, but this increased range just solidifies it further).

Due to her small hitbox, command grab(when cancelled off of down 1/down 3 more or less) and other attacks sometimes whiff on her more so than other characters with average/regular to bigger hitboxes.

Fang spin being only slightly negative can make it harder for characters like Kitana, who have an 8 frame or slower poke to get out of pressure. This means she's locked down even more so than in other variations. Couple this with the addition of ex low stab being plus 12 and his other frame traps and it can lead to Kitana having to take many more risks to get out of pressure and get back to her comfort zone space that she would prefer to stay in zoning Goro.

Royal Storm Reflect is a non-issue versus Dragon Fangs Goro because his lack of zoning focus or reason to be zoning her.

Goro blows up float mix ups just fine with up 1/2, down 2 and ex fang spin is an additional option. Due to her generally slow mid normals, Goro often times does not have to respect her frame traps either. This all not taking into account that her damage got nerfed as well.

One other positive trait she has is a lack of meter reliance for combos so she can break much more frequently than other characters.

If not for Goro's less than stellar mobility, he would probably win this match up 6-4, but because of the extra effort involved in dealing with her space control and her other match up strengths swings the pendulum back to even.

I'll probably do one of these for Johnny Cage and Mileena soon as well.