What's new

Community Liu Kang Match-up Chart

AssassiN

Noob
Tough battle for Liu Kang, zoning is hard because of his mobility.
It is possible to stop teleport with IAFB's, but Lao has other options.

When he teleports, I've been looking at different options.
Uppercut always work obviously, but why only get 12% when you can get 30%?
Duck it, wait for the 3 and punish it with a quick 2 into your anti-air combo. This can be countered by Lao by doing teleport+2.
Something that sometimes work is backdashing away into a 2 or DS+1, sometimes Lao hits me and sometimes he doesn't.

Up close you just gotta bait that spin by letting him think you are gonna continue pressure after a blocked string.

Gookus
I do my IAFB's with pressing diagonal back twice and pressing forward immediately after that.
Works good enough for me, just practice enough to get the timing down between IAFB's(when to start the input for the next IAFB).

Squeaker101

Show me what you can do
What about KL vs Liu Kang. I'm leaning towards KL favor. What do you guys think?
I'd say 5.5-4.5 in Lao's favor, Lao has alot of good tools, and when used correctly (or randomly) he's a very dangerous character. Up close he beats us, but only by a couple smidges. (spin, 7 frame :bp, neutral on his 1121 string, only -1 on 24, etc.) We could zone him, but eventually he'll teleport or divekick in. (or roll) In turn, it's hard for people to gain momentum once Liu gets his stuff going.

In conclusion: 5.5-4.5 or 6-4 in Lao's favor.
I'd say its a bit of an uphill battle for Liu, but its certainly winnable. Liu needs to think harder than usual, play it smart. Lao needs to be a little more careful then usual.

Anyone disagree?

Having a lot of 5-5 matchups doesn't make a character top tier, it makes them mid tier. The top tier characters have mostly 6-4 matchups.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
This is true. It is also better to have lots of 4-6s and 3-7s than a lot of 2-8s and 1-9s. I've got other observations about numbers if you're interested.
....Just saying you guys have no room to complain on matchup numbers when you mostly have 5-5s

Course that is just me coming from a low tier character

AssassiN

Noob
....Just saying you guys have no room to complain on matchup numbers when you mostly have 5-5s

Course that is just me coming from a low tier character
Nobody is complaining lol, just saying it makes him mid tier with all those 5-5 MU.
Nobody here is saying Liu Kang is bad or something, he is good and def better than Baraka.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
Nobody is complaining lol, just saying it makes him mid tier with all those 5-5 MU.
Nobody here is saying Liu Kang is bad or something, he is good and def better than Baraka.
Oh then oops, I must have misunderstood. Yeah he is mid tier with 5-5s, but if you are a good player then 5-5s are very manageable if you know your character.

Im new to Liu though so I shouldnt act like I know what I am talking about haha

Squeaker101

Show me what you can do
My opinions.

Liu's best MU: Cyber Sub-Zero
Liu controls the pace of this match in absolute comfort. If your iafbs are on point you can abuse those, as it takes away his divekicks and any jumping, the occasional low-fireball to hit him out of Slide. (his EX has no armor) Liu is much faster up-close as well, and can abuse CSZ's high hitbox.

Liu's worst MU: Noob Saibot
I suppose this can be debatable, but I've had more trouble with Noob then with Kenshi or Freddy. Probably because you can't duck all of his projectile's. (except one) It's very hard for Liu to get in, and Up-Knee can be very bothersome. I haven't ever really got in on Noob, and don't know the size of his hitbox. But I do know one Up-Knee can get you back at square one.

Thoughts?

@Squeaker101 At the highest level Kenshi is his worst match up and its just cuz of his reflect glitch. Noob is not that bad if you know how to fight him, the key to winning in that match is liu's iaf. Contrary to what most believe, liu can actually out zone noob forcing him to advance forward while you chip him away with fire balls and gain meter. I read your reasons why noob is such a hard match up and I'll tell you like I tell xblades all the time. Stop being hard headed and moving forward when liu alot of times doesn't have to. You have to master his zoning, which in my opinion is the hardest in the game to master. His fireballs have a small hitbox and in order to turn those bad matches like noob into even matches or in liu's favor, then you need to be on point with liu's fireball game.

Basically against noob you don't spam iaf like you would kabal or other characters. What your looking to do in that match is to throw your iaf as he throws his clone. Since you recover so fast from your iaf, you can see his clone coming and either block high or low, but he eats your fireball. What happens is that he keeps eating your fireball and you keep blocking his clone. After a few exchanges noob will start to lose the zoning and he'll start moving in and thats where the mix up start.

KH_Seraph

ҜømbÄŦ Ħøu&Ŧøπ
Good Shit. I want to hear more about the Liu and Kenshi matchup though. That shit is just rough... It's easily 3/7 Kenshi...And a HARD 3/7 at that.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
b312 is the easiest way to punish shoulder on the planet. That and his zoning works cause he can evade all the reflected fireballs. NW cant really do damage without armor and the range on b3 is stupid.

AssassiN

Noob
Good Shit. I want to hear more about the Liu and Kenshi matchup though. That shit is just rough... It's easily 3/7 Kenshi...And a HARD 3/7 at that.
High hitbox character so you gotta take advantage of that once you're actually in.
The 2 actually hits on Kenshi when he is crouching and is 0 on block, you can mix up with that the same way Cage mixes up with F3 except that Liu Kang has a mixup at the end where he can do 213 or 21 + ex fireball.

To get in, you're gonna have to use fireballs.
Make him reflect the high and then fire a low to hit him.
Make him reflect a fireball to jump and get in closer on him.
Jump and delay your landing by using fireballs in order to make his shoulder and tele furry whiff.

no way he has that many 5-5 MU. He beats NW and Skarlet beats him
That post is from April, there was a MU chart that was a lot more update but it got lost in the crash :(.

KH_Seraph

ҜømbÄŦ Ħøu&Ŧøπ
I actually agree with LOTF. Liu's normals are just superior to NW...Plus you can just duck shoulder charge and make it wiff... Uppercut his ENH shoulder charge on reaction... NW has a hard time getting damage in on Liu. A fast paced Skarlet can make a fast paced Liu seem slow.

The 2 actually hits on Kenshi when he is crouching and is 0 on block,
Oh? Damn! So 2 can jail a crouching Kenshi? NICE!