What's new

General/Other - Commando Commando Variation Discussion Thread

imblackjames

Ive seen the leprechaun
Ok guys heres an update on the tech i posted earlier in the thread after u do a 32 if u do a jump/crossover 4 instead of tick throwing that into command grab do d1/d4 into command grab right after itll catch jumpers trying to get out of the command grab right after the j4 and still hit them into command grab. If the j4 hits itll still catch them into the command grab. and if they block it all d1/d4 tick throws anyway

Also after 32 if i have meter ive been doing b31-ex knives. They have ti take the b31 because they cant jump out and They cant duck the knives b31 makes them take them take both knives so if they block ur + and if they get hit ur super plus lol so ive been using it as a pressure tool for people getting wise to my set up....hope this helps people...also i hope it makes sense haha

FlappyDaniel

Snappin' spines all day e'ry day.
For anyone having trouble with canceling d4/d3 into rib breaker, I found a little trick that makes it easier. I'm on a pad and was having trouble getting d4 xx rib breaker consistently. I can do the rib breaker just fine by itself but when canceling I'd get either nothing or f4 far too often. Turns out if you use db+4(not the motion but the single diagonal input) and then do the dbf4 rib breaker motion it comes out every time.
this looks like a nice little trick possibly. I've just been inputting the D4 or D3 and then as fast as possible entering the DBF4 afterwards but it can be slightly inconsistent at times so I'll try it.

Ok guys heres an update on the tech i posted earlier in the thread after u do a 32 if u do a jump/crossover 4 instead of tick throwing that into command grab do d1/d4 into command grab right after itll catch jumpers trying to get out of the command grab right after the j4 and still hit them into command grab. If the j4 hits itll still catch them into the command grab. and if they block it all d1/d4 tick throws anyway

Also after 32 if i have meter ive been doing b31-ex knives. They have ti take the b31 because they cant jump out and They cant duck the knives b31 makes them take them take both knives so if they block ur + and if they get hit ur super plus lol so ive been using it as a pressure tool for people getting wise to my set up....hope this helps people...also i hope it makes sense haha
I like this, will play with applying it. Any reason youre using D1/D4 instead of D3/D4? I believe D3's frame data is a little better.

imblackjames

Ive seen the leprechaun
this looks like a nice little trick possibly. I've just been inputting the D4 or D3 and then as fast as possible entering the DBF4 afterwards but it can be slightly inconsistent at times so I'll try it.

I like this, will play with applying it. Any reason youre using D1/D4 instead of D3/D4? I believe D3's frame data is a little better.

Just because lots of people block high so d4-command grab whiffs if they block the jump in but not the low d1 will tick throw them. But i use d4 to start especially because it gives u better damage if hit

LEGI0N47

I like to play bad characters
iirc it might have been sub-Zero with his 6 Frame jab. online shouldnt be a Problem here because a cancel is a cancel, that Input should go through the cable as one. but of course one can test it.
So I did some testing because I was curious. Here is what I found out. Mind you there are prob better testers or methods out there.

I did Kano v Kano & Kano v Sonya. Both have parry's. Kano's is 4 frames, hers is 6. When EX'ed they both go down by two frames to 2 &4. I found this a better way to test than to set a bot to tick throws and mash, and they're faster. So if they fail, in theory there is no way mashing should work. Sub zero's standing 1 is 7 frames, his D1,3,&4 are all 9. I didn't use armor at all.

Here are the results from ticks I tested.
F33: only failed against 2 frame Kano EX parry. everything else got ribs broke
D4: ribs broken, all
J4: ribs broken, all
J3: can be beaten by 6 frame moves, Sonya parries your head lol....7 not sure.
D1: same as above
D3: can be beaten by Kano, not Sonya.

So What I'm seeing is that D4, J4, & F33 are surefire knees to the gut on tick throws. If you get poked out you got screwed by netcode.

pogse

Ruthlesss Mayhem

doing 32 to crossup ji4 as well. since 32 on hit puts you in the right range that when crossup ji4 hits, they juggle towards you and then command grab.

does b31 stand the opponent(guarantee EX knives first hit)? I just command grab on hit or block. I'm scrubby.

imblackjames

Ive seen the leprechaun
doing 32 to crossup ji4 as well. since 32 on hit puts you in the right range that when crossup ji4 hits, they juggle towards you and then command grab.

does b31 stand the opponent(guarantee EX knives first hit)? I just command grab on hit or block. I'm scrubby.
Yea thats what i was saying with the cross up j4 i posted about it earlier in this thread :p but if they jump out of the command grab d4 will juggle them having the command grab connect on hit and if they block the command grab will still tick throw.

And right after 32 on hit guarantees (they cant jump out) b31 which guarantees the knives. I put the computer on reversal attack and its a block string they just stay there blocking until after they block the knives Even if they were ducking botg knives hit Making them block.

Does that make sense? Im awful at putting my thoughts into words lol

Devin Thorn

chimp damage
So I've just started using Kano this week and have learned Cyber pretty well but noticed trouble with teleporters, is Kommando Kano able to shut that down with his parry? Any basic tips/general strategy with him would be appreciated as well regardless, I'd like to learn each variation since he's one of the few characters with 3 awesome variations

pogse

Ruthlesss Mayhem
Yea thats what i was saying with the cross up j4 i posted about it earlier in this thread :p but if they jump out of the command grab d4 will juggle them having the command grab connect on hit and if they block the command grab will still tick throw.

And right after 32 on hit guarantees (they cant jump out) b31 which guarantees the knives. I put the computer on reversal attack and its a block string they just stay there blocking until after they block the knives Even if they were ducking botg knives hit Making them block.

Does that make sense? Im awful at putting my thoughts into words lol
I get the d4/d1 after ji4 now :). yeah would make sense to d1 since d4 hitting would mess it up.

for the b31, I was asking if it would re-stand because even when blocking I believe you can duck(not block) the first knife then d2 before 2nd knife is thrown. will verify later in lab. not sure if you can still just duck within a true block string.

imblackjames

Ive seen the leprechaun
I get the d4/d1 after ji4 now :). yeah would make sense to d1 since d4 hitting would mess it up.

for the b31, I was asking if it would re-stand because even when blocking I believe you can duck(not block) the first knife then d2 before 2nd knife is thrown. will verify later in lab. not sure if you can still just duck within a true block string.
It doesn't stand them up but it makes both knives mid so they have to block both knives even if theyre blocking low both knives would hit.

Is make a video showing what im talking about but idk to have xbox record my stuff lol

DFC

Cutthroat Truther
Im at work right now but ill test it when i get home. But when the computer blocks ducking both knives hit them. Like i said ill test more when i get home
The CPU crouch blocking would cause a high projectile to hit it. But I don't think anything forces them to block the first knife

pogse

Ruthlesss Mayhem
Im at work right now but ill test it when i get home. But when the computer blocks ducking both knives hit them. Like i said ill test more when i get home
tested against kenshi and mileena. not sure who has the lowest duck profile.
but b31, b13, 32 or 11 to EX knives can't be ducked inbetween to interrupt, so this is nice.
might a general thing that High hitboxes can't be ducked out of if it is within a blockstring.

Last edited:

imblackjames

Ive seen the leprechaun
The CPU crouch blocking would cause a high projectile to hit it. But I don't think anything forces them to block the first knife
I just tested it if they stop blocking they get hit with the knives even if they were crouching. They HAVE to take the knives after b31 :)

imblackjames

Ive seen the leprechaun
tested against kenshi and mileena. not sure who has the lowest duck profile.
but b31, 32 or 11 to EX knives can't be ducked inbetween to interrupt, so this is nice.
might a general thing that High hitboxes can't be ducked out of if it is within a blockstring.
U beat me to it :p thanks!

Error

DF2+R2
I think I'm going full Kano until Mystic gets some sort of buff, I scarcely get to play the game and I miss playing commando and even my day 1 Sonya more than I miss playing Ermac -_-

Error

DF2+R2
By the way, anyone have competitive footage of Commando Kano? I want to compare how I play him to others.

Anyone care to PM with some commando tips on using him effectively?
I'm still learning him, but I just try to play footsies with b12, f4, and d4 when in range, anything further I try to play mind games with knife throw and ball attacks. His knife forces a lot of characters to come in, which is usually what you want.

After overwhelming opponents with your pokes they will start to block more, that's when you can start using the b312 string which I think is 0 on block, doing tick throws with d1,d3,d4, and f33 cancelled into his command grabs on block or just go for his actual grab, generally you want to throw them towards the corner where the threat of damage both on hit and on block becomes real.

For anti-airs I just do d2 since it's fast, and has a decent hitbox, but b1 and njp work on a read.

I haven't explored his air to air options, or his parries too much, hopefully this made some kind of sense lol.

Last edited:

LEGI0N47

So I've just started using Kano this week and have learned Cyber pretty well but noticed trouble with teleporters, is Kommando Kano able to shut that down with his parry? Any basic tips/general strategy with him would be appreciated as well regardless, I'd like to learn each variation since he's one of the few characters with 3 awesome variations
Teleports that hit you, yes. But most of them are unsafe anyway so you can punish them regardless. Parry certainly scores style points though.

Devin Thorn

chimp damage
Damn commando is very difficult to use. I might be focusing on his command grabs to much but it's difficult knowing when to cancel into a grab and when not to. I wish he had one party for highs and lows like Liu Kang, that would be a big improvement.

FlappyDaniel

Snappin' spines all day e'ry day.
By the way, anyone have competitive footage of Commando Kano? I want to compare how I play him to others.

I'm still learning him, but I just try to play footsies with b12, f4, and d4 when in range, anything further I try to play mind games with knife throw and ball attacks. His knife forces a lot of characters to come in, which is usually what you want.

After overwhelming opponents with your pokes they will start to block more, that's when you can start using the b312 string which I think is 0 on block, doing tick throws with d1,d3,d4, and f33 cancelled into his command grabs on block or just go for his actual grab, generally you want to throw them towards the corner where the threat of damage both on hit and on block becomes real.

For anti-airs I just do d2 since it's fast, and has a decent hitbox, but b1 and njp work on a read.

I haven't explored his air to air options, or his parries too much, hopefully this made some kind of sense lol.
Air Kano ball is my BAE at air to airing. Any time anybody jumps I throw an air kano ball out and watch them weep as I begin to close distance with their ribs in my sights. B312 seems punishable by some, as is F4 actually. Was playing against a dvorah and he was blowin me up for F4ing too much. As for parries, I haven't been using them to full potential yet either but you need to learn enemy string gaps to know when you can fit them in.

Damn commando is very difficult to use. I might be focusing on his command grabs to much but it's difficult knowing when to cancel into a grab and when not to. I wish he had one party for highs and lows like Liu Kang, that would be a big improvement.
When you say "Cancel into a grab" do you mean tick throwing? It's definitely very tricky to do in matches. You just have to read when your opponent is going to block based on how you've conditioned them. Go for the D4 3 times in a row, and if they haven't blocked low yet, they'll block low on the 4th one, so try the tick throw. Try to use your react time as well as you don't want to base it purely on a cold read since it's not safe. As for using the command grabs in the neutral game, that's just about getting them scared to press buttons in general, knowing the range on your grabs (Farther then you may think), and not being afraid to range with knives for a while then run right into your opponent's face and grabbing when you get in range. commando can be tricky online because most people are just always going to be pressing buttons always, which coincidentally enough is how you beat characters with command grabs, with lots of pokes.

LEGI0N47

commando can be tricky online because most people are just always going to be pressing buttons always, which coincidentally enough is how you beat characters with command grabs, with lots of pokes.
This is why I have so much trouble playing this variation and practicing it in the fashion that I believe it should be played. Which I think based off reading your posts we both have a pretty similar outlook. I think he's easier to use against players who don't mash normals or specials and actually attempt to footsie, space, and punish etc. So what really ends up happening is that I play him like a handicap cyber except in the corner where I can actually get significant damage with combos. It makes me sad.