What's new

CHOMP CHOMP HISS! - The Reptile Matchup Thread

sLeeK

Noob
I just wish the ball didn't deactivate itself once it passes the opponent. I've had a few situations where an opponent has jumped over the ball to which I'd welcome him with an uppercut sending him back landing on the ball and he just goes right through it :(
Did NRS intend to do that or is this a glitch ? I am tired of wasting a meter on a sfb only to have some scrub tele around it then walk in front of it -__-

RapZiLLa54

Monster Island Tournaments
I don't know I doubt it was intentional, it doesn't make much sense.

Does fastball recover faster than slowball to block? Dumb question I know but I have ZERO answer to dive kicks. It feels like they can wait till the ball is on the screen travel a bit then jump over dive kick and I still can't block. Been playing a lot of Cyber Sub lately.

RapZiLLa54

Sanchez vs Tom Brady my main question is since when can you trade with Sub zero? I've always found that even when I've traded like that Sub can still recover in time to get a combo in.. Is there a way to get out of freeze quicker??

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
You have to trade from the right ranges at the right timings. If you're frozen, but you catch Sub in his recovery frames, the trade is in your favor.

Also, Idk if this was known, but f2 punishes Kung Lao's spin. WHEE REPTILE HAS A FULL COMBO ON BLOCKED SPIN! I r happehz.

RapZiLLa54

Well you'd have to use some meter to get that combo but great discovery THTB!!! Finally if we have some meter we can do some damage to this sob for making a mistake. Also f2 acid hand is 13% so we are doing a little more damage I'll take it.

If only f2b1 was a real launcher:violin::banana:

Well you'd have to use some meter to get that combo but great discovery THTB!!! Finally if we have some meter we can do some damage to this sob for making a mistake. Also f2 acid hand is 13% so we are doing a little more damage I'll take it.

If only f2b1 was a real launcher:violin::banana:
I've only tested this in the trainer so who knows but this is what I was doing with the F2 starter:
F2xxFast FB < 32 Slow FB < 321 slide

xxteefxx

Kenshi Moderator
alright about the Kung Lao f+2 countering spin, i remember i posted that on TYM and MKU about this match write up. you can punish Kung lao severly for 32% damage or 30% + Okizeme Follow up....but nice discovery anyways THTB and rap. you guys should've known something like that early as well >_> lol.

-f+2~ sFB, NJP, 3,2~ FFB, 3,2,1~ slide (32%) wihtout any meter
replace with either meter or Oki follow up at the end for total of 30% with pressure afterwards (anti wake up)

As for subzero, things you guys should know:
-Acid hands destroys Subzero's Clones and Projectile.....it's really easier than you might think when it comes to approaching subzero. so acid hands break out of corner (Risky), as well as nullyfies clones and projectiles. Why would u trade when you can get closer to sub :S ? reptile got the tools

-Second most important point which i started using, and IT FLIPS THE MATCH. seriously, this match is annoying for rep just because two reason only! Subzero's resets and his amazing strenght in corner. other than that, he has nothing

the thing is: START PRACTICING ON BLOCKING SUBZERO'S CLONES!! this will actually force subzero to do clones followed up by Slide instead. which makes subzero even closer, and more advantage to reptile (unless if it's ex slide). both case it's a definite risk take! block slide = subzero gettin owned. Subzero using slide to get closer after knock down, makes reptile eaiser to manuever due to lack of fire ball/ space control afterwards.
blocking the clones is EAYS and very rewarding as well

xxteefxx

Kenshi Moderator
i also wanted to mention something in here, apparently u guys are sharing stuff, so why wont i.
I completely changed my reptile play style into EVEN more offensive. thnx to elbow dash. instead of anti air JP into slide, i do elbow dash after to take control and approach.
something i find VERY VERY usefull, which is, after X ray , You can OTG opponents with tons of options!

if opponent near corner u can OTG them with cr+4~ special move. if mid screen, you can OTG with elbow dash! and if it did hit, it's TONS better than OKI FB follow up. because Elbow dash itself, leads to a safe FB oki zet ups OR dash set ups.

Basically Elbow dash control after anti air jump in's Punchs or kicks...or even combos, can completely flip opponent. Someone like kung lao, biat the spin and they are doomed. mil, were u can catch both her regular teleport and regular Ballroll on wake up...etc

so seriously, think about that.

THTB

Yeah, I'm surprised no one else has started avoiding using slide after JPs and whatnot and just gone for dash or forceball instead. Reptile doesn't really get much off a JP, so I've started using that as well.

For the OTG after X-Ray, it's soooooooo good. I had learned about it some time ago, and I thought I mentioned it...not sure if I did, but either way, yeah, you can do that, and it's golden. They are forced to block your shit after, and it sets up so much post-X-Ray. IMO, Reptile's X-Ray is among the 3 best X-Rays in the game because of how well it can work.

My Reptile's still very footsies-based in contrast, but these things definitely help when I feel there's points where I should go offensive.

Also, vs Sub, I've started to take a liking to EX forceball if Sub has me in the corner and he clones up. I haven't tried the EX hand, though. I can imagine it works pretty okay if the Sub is trying to do, like, dash up and b2 behind the clone. As long as he isn't doing, like, 22 behind clone, it looks like it'd work pretty well.

xxteefxx

Kenshi Moderator
:) ya i know, rep Elbow dash follow up is really important, as well as FB. though some chars can catch u fast on those FB sometimes if u tried to follow up with a dash. so it's a good okizeme actually, but not against everyone (example: Kabal)

as for the x ray. ya man, it's really sweet. I luv it, Specially in corner. Though i must say, i dont use X ray alot of Reptile....seriously. it's funny, that's how i keep my pressure. I depend a lot on Oki FB setups with EX fb or regular FB as well as EX dash after footsies to keep pressure flowing (example cr+4 ~ ex dash). few chars in the game that makes me save meter are (e.g: kabal, KL,jade, SMoke ...basically good wake ups or counter's like smoke shake..etc)

as for the Acid hand. oh yes, it's amazing! :) it's one of the reasons why Sub zero wont miss with u in the corner freely. it shuts his 2,2 and b+2 unblockable. though, it's some times risky! 2,2 sometimes stuff in acid hand if 2,2 came out faster than acid hand. as well as, they can bait it to step back and freeze!! which is REALLy painful sometimes lol

also, u dont need EX acid hands...just regular against regular clones will do it. EX only against EX clones.

but ya :p i have some specifc matchup stuff u might find interesting. i will post em all in the Project learning lab soon. Hope u might find stuff usefull their...the guide is REALLY full of stuff like those examples lol

RapZiLLa54

Wait wwait wait you mean to tell me f2 links to force ball? Wow I feel dumb as shit right now lol I tried it last night but I guess wasn't doing it right so I just assumed it doesn't link. MUST PUSH INPUTS FASTER!

teef when you hit the xray midscreen I'm assuming you'd have to do a double elbow dash right?

My usual x ray follow up is slow fast ball dash JIP pressure.

Reg Acid Hand goes through clone and projectiles? I thought they just gave the armor to its EX version not regular?

Man these last few posts have been gold and a nice breathe of fresh air after about a week and a half of "nerf/balance Reptile" debate.

THTB I wish you were at EVO man, that was the only disappointing thing for me was not being able to watch you play. I would of donated!

i skipped from page 1 to last, anyone have any, or point me to a page, tips against raiden. i finally fought a good sonya tonight and we went 2w/3l, most everyone else i fought before drinking was no problem or at least decently matched, but raiden is beyond anything i can dishout.
every one i fought was in complete controll of the match, if i try to zone...they teleport, if i try to turtle...they teleport, if i try a rushing game, not that that is conceivable against him,.....they teleport.
how can reptile beat that fucking teleport

THTB

Raiden is one of Reptile's better matchups against the top tier characters. Yes, Raiden nullifies zoning, but Reptile makes life SUPER difficult for Raiden, since either d4 or elbow can be used to interrupt Raiden's strings, and Raiden cannot do vicinity blast blockstrings vs him, since his hitbox is too low. When Raiden needs to do something to get back in the fight, he's 100% screwed.

Sabin

Elder God
You have to trade from the right ranges at the right timings. If you're frozen, but you catch Sub in his recovery frames, the trade is in your favor.

Also, Idk if this was known, but f2 punishes Kung Lao's spin. WHEE REPTILE HAS A FULL COMBO ON BLOCKED SPIN! I r happehz.
i need to condition myself to do this every time. it woulda helped out yesterday. have to make KL scared to spin. Because as it is now elbow dash isnt enough to discourage KL from spinning at all, not to mention he blows up Rep air to air :(

also, is it easier to interrupt raiden string with d4 over elbow rush? i dont have the timing down to punish raiden b312 334 that well havent practiced it after ceo. felt like tight timing when i tried it

xxteefxx

Kenshi Moderator
i need to condition myself to do this every time. it woulda helped out yesterday. have to make KL scared to spin. Because as it is now elbow dash isnt enough to discourage KL from spinning at all, not to mention he blows up Rep air to air :(

also, is it easier to interrupt raiden string with d4 over elbow rush? i dont have the timing down to punish raiden b312 334 that well havent practiced it after ceo. felt like tight timing when i tried it
It's annoying in timing Arturo. Specially online ofcourse. though for me i await, let him finish either 3,3,4 or b+3,1,2 and then respond to either counter frame trap or teleports with either d+4 ~ links or elbow dash. just that d+4 catches spammers as well if linked with special moves (ex elbow dash, EX FB, or in general acid hand)

and i dont believe people didnt know about Kung lao spin....like come on :S these are basics learning curve against opponents.

Rapzilla: Actually i apologize. i really tried to find explanation why i did say Regular acid hands counter clones, but wasnt able to O_O!....ex acid hand only Rap.
another way to escape reckless clone corner trap, is EX spit. it's so fast and catch any reckless 2,2 or b+2 charge or even regular freeze. in my opinion it's safer than EX acid hand, due to the fact it cannot be back tracked nor jumped. though in general, to counter clones, Seriously i just Dash block them...and it does flip opponent thinkings if your able to understand his sequences. so i really only use acid hands EX or EX spit while i am traped in corner only.

Another note that u guys might find interesting:

-Kung lao Dive kick can be stuffed with Standing 2. Strict timing though, from max up to sweep distance. closer than sweep might be useless to do in that case.
-I cannot stress this enough! I saw a lot of people countering teleport with weird stuff (regular teleport) even at EVO! the best solution is standing 2 or 1~ FB into juggles! it does punish kung severely and let them think twice before they aimlessly teleport again. if it's EX teleport , if u miss judged the teleport and did an input alrdy, try to continue linking into either Elbow dash of FB if ur used to the side change sequence. Though, I would even suggest mashing 1 multiple times in that case! the first 1 will be mitigated, the second will hit kung FAST before they input any hit. thus allowing a severe juggle punishment.

The problem with kung is always Online in my opinion, just because it's SO ,SO! harde to punish his Aggressive offense mode. though, lately i see this match (offline) as a doable 50 - 50....until i am proven wrong >_> lol

Also, THTB or Sabin, you guys attending Devastation or Summer Jam? cause i am, and i would like to see u their guys

Scoot Magee

But I didn't want to dash
D+4 is a great way to check KL's teleport without any risk really. Sometimes his teleport will beat out any standing moves/uppercut and it leads to pretty good damage. With D+4 you will always be under whatever he does plus you will knock him out of the air. I"m pretty sure you can juggle into an acid hand after depending on the height.

For the hat spin punish I've been using ex dash into slide but that f+2 xx FB will work out nice.

xxteefxx

Kenshi Moderator
Yo magee, how u doing man.
hmmm so would you do cr+4~ acid hands or a combo that can lead to Okizeme ?
also, Cr+4 is a complete different scenario. Cr+4 is VERY risky. if timed wrong it can Whiff, or if timed wrong, Kung lao can do late teleport 4 to chain into standing 1,2 's.
if you predicted a regular teleport while it was EX, if you chained acid hand after cr+4, you simply doomed yourself cause Kung will escape the acid hand....making it a free hit teleport.
also if Stand 1 is perfumed early on prediction, and whiffed for any reason , you can simply re input 1 again to catch kung lao...though this is a very time dependable, by means, very situational. though, unlike cr+4. if cr+4 done early and whiffed, you will be forced turtle after, block or take a shot at either another cr+4 or whatever you would like to use.

so whats safer, stand poke once? and if ex teleport, then re enter the poke again? or cr+4 which might be a tad risky?

i think it's more of preferable styles in my opinion. both are fast pokes! standing one i think is 10 or 11, and cr+4 is 13. so it's only 2 or 1 frame difference tops! not that big a deal in most cases. Though, cr+4 put you in a duck situation, and if whiffed, reptile can be in threat on Kung lao's pressure game.

so yah also before i forget, most importantly in this discussion is, Chaining cr+4 into FB instead of Acid hands! the key is the Linking after with FB and not what poke to use.

sLeeK

Noob
I have two questions.. Last night I was playing a crazy 88 member and we were sparring each other with new characters and I couldn't help to notice his poking.. Silly question incoming, but when is a proper time to input pokes? 2nd question we decided to use our mains and his main was KL and I main reptile of course :D (he beat me 2-1 but I gave him a run for his money no doubt) he was using KLs low hat mix up. Personally I have never had to deal with that before so what is the proper punishment for that mix up? Elbow dash comes to mind, but is there something better? How do you guys handle that mix up? Any feed back would be much appreciated, thanks guys.

xxteefxx

Kenshi Moderator
Ohh nice sleek, who did u fight from my clan mates/ friends? Triumph, or Witchdoctor or Hdcloud? ohh well, not a related question lol...but each has a different style to be honest. and EACH are very laggy as well! lol except for doctor (it's just me because i am east and they are West coast). also i must say, Triumph Kung is Really scary!

"Silly question incoming, but when is a proper time to input pokes? 2nd question we decided to use our mains and his main was KL and I main reptile of course"

thins is a very general question, can you specify more if possible? basically poke fight is all about, faster starter. so whoever has faster starter wins. though some situations might differ, like some block strings has advantages for opponent to follow up a poke after safely before u break block and preform urs!

"he was using KLs low hat mix up. Personally I have never had to deal with that before so what is the proper punishment for that mix up? Elbow dash comes to mind, but is there something better? How do you guys handle that mix up? Any feed back would be much appreciated, thanks guys."

reptile doesnt have a lot of answer unless to poke into special move~ chain (though it doesnt link), for example cr +4~ acid hand, or simply best answer is Elbow dash ofcourse!
also must be done after SUCCESSFULLY blocking the string and low hat! any hit from the low hat projectile or med hat attack (f+2) will lead to another rep of Kungs pressure.
so basically it comes down to, Successfully guessing the correct block of either f+2 med Attack. 4,2,1+2 low starter, Med attack finisher . 4,2~ low hat low starter, low finisher. 1,2,2~ low hat high low mix ups. or 1,2,2/ 1,2 ~ throw tech mix up.

so...good luck on successfully blocking.

also another note, this match is really hard online. and to be honest, i feel like it can be 5 -5. reptile can do wonders in this match as long as you correctly prevent or guess Kungs offensive mix ups.

THTB

We'll both be at SJ.

And yeah, Teef, I agree. I forgot a lot about the discussion me and PL had about Rep vs Lao, plus I'm so used to how much better he is than me that I still am thinking on the mindset that the matchup is 6-4. But yeah, it is definitely a 5-5, and I feel that way a lot more now that I know about spin being punished for much more.

This f2 news is making me wanna dig deeper into his normals. His good ones ALL feel amazing for footsies, and I feel like I'm not using f3 enough.

xxteefxx

Kenshi Moderator
We'll both be at SJ.

And yeah, Teef, I agree. I forgot a lot about the discussion me and PL had about Rep vs Lao, plus I'm so used to how much better he is than me that I still am thinking on the mindset that the matchup is 6-4. But yeah, it is definitely a 5-5, and I feel that way a lot more now that I know about spin being punished for much more.

This f2 news is making me wanna dig deeper into his normals. His good ones ALL feel amazing for footsies, and I feel like I'm not using f3 enough.
NICE! i will finally meet you guys :)

about the f+3. i actually felt the same. Though i did put it to the test...and seriously i cant find a SOLID reason to use except for corner ender (for just a change of mix ups) or in general a combo finisher. it has the same Time doin Oki FB, even better in my opinion in some cases due to the ground stagger.....though, you will have to change your combo style just to do f+2 in a juggle, which doesnt raise the damage that much unless if it's a corner combo. So i seriously cant find a good use for it.

Part of dialy training i do is, practicing reactions as well as different normal/ move properties. i do that by setting the CPU in practice on Wake up attack on, with or without roll. and just try to play on reaction on what opponents can do. (good with Mil, kung, scorpion, Raiden...etc). one of the thing i noticed about f+3 , is that it has the same property as anti wake up against some moves like Elbow dash.so it's a interesting use. though , it's quite risky due to the fact it only counter certain stuff

that as far as i can come up with f+3...if you found something, hit me up lol

also as for f+2 series. i did put it in a vid actually, f+2,b+1 in a combo or not, leads to FB okizeme! ...so it's decent to use. though, i would say f+2~ acid hand, or f+2 slide, or f+2~ fb on hit to continue into juggle, are more worth it in most of the situation. f+2 is beautiful specially when used in sweep distance, it stuff in a lot of normals as well! and even some specials (E.G kungs regular Spin, NW hatchet, subzero freeze where it catch him before excuting...etc)...though, i dont use it that much due to the fact that it's VERY situational as well as slow starter. sadly, non of Reptiles TC's or pressure guard put reptile in a safe Position to footsie with f+2 except for cr+4~ acid hand....and in that case, i would rather use other option after cr+4~ acid hand due to stagger(safety on block) as well as it being a little slow starter .

i think f+2 is 18 frames if i am correct? cr+4 is 12 or 13....dammit i must re check the frame data lol

THTB

Whoo! Meeting of the Reptiles! :D

And f2 is 15 frames. It's such a good normal...I've started to incorporate it vs opponents who like to blockdash into elbow range. Okay, I can't elbow...okay, I'll just either forceball, wait for you to do a jump, or walk up and d4/f2 xx acid hand. I honestly have started to care less with people getting there.

I also played vs REO's Kitana...the matchup isn't as advantageous as I thought. It's not bad for us, at all, but it feels 5-5. You do force her to jump, but she can mess up your AAs anyway, and vs Reptile, because he's so slow, he has to elbow or hope d3 works to keep her from doing shit after a blocked one.