What's new

Chip damage...

I kind of wish that the last 5% of life would have no chip damage from normals. Losing the round from D1 chip damage is some silly shit, but that's MK for you.
This is why that last little red blinking sliver of life makes me laugh. It doesn't matter what happens, block or not you get hit, you die.

The chip is annoying, at times. Watching Lao jerk off in your face for seconds on end while you hold block and still get punched to death because if you don't just hold it you're losing ~35-40% of your life is some pretty sweet gameplay.

Matches actually often end like this: Sonya is down to her last bits of life. Shinnok is at 30%. Sonya tries a string to open him up but he blocks it all. Sonya immediately hits block after her blocked attempt and now dies to Shinnok's attempt at a string. Replace the names with any two. It's boring as hell to watch once the first player's string ends.

But the answer's the same as any other game: get better, and just win so you don't have to worry about it.

Im pretty new to the game, but I do like the chip damage. I think I hate the push back on block more.

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
no one like seeing or playing a KL or LK or Shinny and getting 30+ on chip from a block string with nothing you can do. Or you get out only to be at such life deficit that the game is all but lost. I appreciate the idea that chip is a thing in MK, but in 9 and again in X it is just to much imo. I do not think it needs to be taken out.. but these massive damage chip combo things are bad for the game in every way, especially for the viewers and it is viewers that turn into gamers, so it is vital to the growth of the game. If there is a evo finals and it is just some guy getting chipped to death in this way it is nothing but bad for nrs.

no one like seeing or playing a KL or LK or Shinny and getting 30+ on chip from a block string with nothing you can do. Or you get out only to be at such life deficit that the game is all but lost. I appreciate the idea that chip is a thing in MK, but in 9 and again in X it is just to much imo. I do not think it needs to be taken out.. but these massive damage chip combo things are bad for the game in every way, especially for the viewers and it is viewers that turn into gamers, so it is vital to the growth of the game. If there is a evo finals and it is just some guy getting chipped to death in this way it is nothing but bad for nrs.
I fundamentally disagree with everything said here. Especially the part about 30% chip damage. I have yet to see anything even remotely close to this. There are far worse things in this game. Chip damage is an essential tool for some characters like liu kang who cant rely on anything else.

Obs_SmSwag

"I have good taste because I like what I like"
If you let your opponent get enough meter to slap you with a 30% block string, I'm sorry.... But you're gonna have to hold that shit sir

Harlequin969

Always press buttons
Someone blowing all their meter to do a 30% block string is fine because they're making the sacrifice of losing all their meter to make it happen. Especially for someone like Kang who doesn't have a lot outside of his block pressure. In fact that's his actual game plan. Same for Shinnok. Lao has options outside of it but again that pressure is still a good part of his game plan.

infamy23

FireBeard
Same for Shinnok.
What... the fuck are you talking about?

Sometimes I wonder what game you people are playing.

Shinnok has an amazing high/low mix-up, a teleport, zoning, a 6 frame normal, a 7 frame low punisher, full screen corner carry, insane meter building and a VORTEX FOR FUCK'S SAKE.

Doesn't have a lot outside of his block pressure? Excuse me while I vomit everywhere.

umgogo

The Memory Protector
If chip damage on normals got taken out of MK, I'd drop it instantly. Seriously, that's like saying MK should be back-to-block or something lol.
IMO it should, and it should also get rid of the universal, "classic"/"comical" d+2 uppercuts and b+4 leg sweeps. (Worked for Injustice, right?) It should also adopt Injustice's button strengths (why do we need four buttons of roughly the same strength, speed and range?) and add damage scaling dependent on combo starters and normal/counter hits (as opposed to it mostly kicking in after a certain number of moves/amount of damage).

Harlequin969

Always press buttons
What... the fuck are you talking about?

Sometimes I wonder what game you people are playing.

Shinnok has an amazing high/low mix-up, a teleport, zoning, a 6 frame normal, a 7 frame low punisher, full screen corner carry, insane meter building and a VORTEX FOR FUCK'S SAKE.

Doesn't have a lot outside of his block pressure? Excuse me while I vomit everywhere.
Odds are people are going to block Shinnok considering his OH is reasonably short range and slow. 18f start is something that can be reacted to. So people tend to block low against Shinnok because the low starter is one of his better tools.

Hell sparks pushes people away, while being very plus, still doesn't give enough time to get that overhead started. So you put them in the block string of low start hell sparks combo, low start hell sparks combo and keep them going until you open them up.

Once you get the vortex, they block it, well its back to block strings. They don't block it and you get another combo in. Being meter dependent as his out, I'm not sure how you're going to setup that vortex while making it actually meaningful without your meter.

Outside of Necromancer I'm not sure what high level zoning you're talking about. Dark beam isn't that great a zoning tool while Imposters teleport is anti zoning at best since it only works in the air. See Shinnok jump better block the coming tp. So explain to me how Shinnok's block strings aren't a key part of his tool set?

cambros22

Stand Back I'm a Doctor!!!!!!
IMO it should, and it should also get rid of the universal, "classic"/"comical" d+2 uppercuts and b+4 leg sweeps. (Worked for Injustice, right?) It should also adopt Injustice's button strengths (why do we need four buttons of roughly the same strength, speed and range?) and add damage scaling dependent on combo starters and normal/counter hits (as opposed to it mostly kicking in after a certain number of moves/amount of damage).
Sounds like you should play injustice.

ZigZag

That Welsh Guy
I feel why someone would throw this out there, but there's more reason not to consider getting rid of chip.
- It's MK, MK is MK and does not have to bow to other FG norms.
- It would ruin Chip characters.
- I feel personally if a player has great defense but isn't brave enough to react on his defense chip would eventually force them to take risks or learn when he can attempt to push a button.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
Chip damage is my favorite part of mk lol and just fighting games in general. I mained cage in mk9, aquaman in injustice, and have been using kung lao shinnok and for that one godlike week liu kang just because I love chip so much. It's awesome and it gives variety to the mixup style offense.

umgogo

The Memory Protector
Sounds like you should play injustice.
Nah, not a fan of most DC designs, though Bane was quite fun to use. I mentioned Injustice since it was made by NRS themselves and obviously based on the MK Engine, and yet didn't include said features.

I'll admit that I do not think very highly of NRS games compared to most other franchises, but I find them worth playing now and then just for the move design and "Western" mood. I don't expect MK to adopt every standard fighting game convention, but IMO most of them are in place for a very good reason.

cambros22

Stand Back I'm a Doctor!!!!!!
Nah, not a fan of most DC designs, though Bane was quite fun to use. I mentioned Injustice since it was made by NRS themselves and obviously based on the MK Engine, and yet didn't include said features.

I'll admit that I do not think very highly of NRS games compared to most other franchises, but I find them worth playing now and then just for the move design and "Western" mood. I don't expect MK to adopt every standard fighting game convention, but IMO most of them are in place for a very good reason.
Injustice is a New Ip NRS made. I would have been disappointed if it was anything like MK9.

Well there's your answer right there. You're not into NRS games relative to others. Instead of trying to change them to fit into "every standard fighting game convention" go play one of those "standard fighting games" instead of trying to change something that you're hardly even invested in. Duh.

PND OmegaK

Drunk and Orderly
MK is not every other fg. That's the point.
You said zoners wouldn't have a chance, I suggested a solution to your problem, then you just retaliate with 'b-but... it wouldn't be MK!!!' as if it had any relevance towards your first point. Why not just post that in the first place and be done with it rather than making yourself look even more daft as always.

Prinz

watch?v=a8PEVV6tt14
You said zoners wouldn't have a chance, I suggested a solution to your problem, then you just retaliate with 'b-but... it wouldn't be MK!!!' as if it had any relevance towards your first point. Why not just post that in the first place and be done with it rather than making yourself look even more daft as always.
MK is a fighting game that one of the mechanics is chip damage on everything, like SF's trading projectiles, DOA's counters, Tekken's 3d etc. These games are never gonna change their core mechanics because that's what their creators want them to be and that's what they try to create the game around. Zoners would have problems if MK had no chip because they'd have to be very offensive too. It's not a problem, it just needs to be worked around the core mechanics of the game in such way that it works.
And stop being a dick.

Shark Tank

I don't actually play these games
This is why that last little red blinking sliver of life makes me laugh. It doesn't matter what happens, block or not you get hit, you die.

The chip is annoying, at times. Watching Lao jerk off in your face for seconds on end while you hold block and still get punched to death because if you don't just hold it you're losing ~35-40% of your life is some pretty sweet gameplay.

Matches actually often end like this: Sonya is down to her last bits of life. Shinnok is at 30%. Sonya tries a string to open him up but he blocks it all. Sonya immediately hits block after her blocked attempt and now dies to Shinnok's attempt at a string. Replace the names with any two. It's boring as hell to watch once the first player's string ends.

But the answer's the same as any other game: get better, and just win so you don't have to worry about it.

Im pretty new to the game, but I do like the chip damage. I think I hate the push back on block more.
Those scenarios have a pretty simple fix, don't let chip damge from normals lower your health below 1(or some low %). You'd basically keep chip pressure intact and remove these kind of checkmate situations.

Not that I say they should but it's a good solution.

Edit:someone beat me to it

Double Edit: it was the guy you quoted to Keepo

Last edited: