What's new

Chip damage...

Hello, I'm new to tym but not new to mk series. Anyways, me and my friends have been playing mkx since release. We have all came to the conclusion that the chip damage needs to be fixed or not to have chip on normal attacks. We feel that this would make matches not only longer but also maybe more intense. Thoughts...

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
I thought the same thing in 9... I think reducing drastically, or maybe diminishing returns or something on chip would extend the defensive game tons. I know MK has always been an aggressive fighter, but the pressure from some of the toons seams crazy to me.

I think no-chip damage would be a really good vs modifier for vs.

Enexemander

A Hitbox Pirate - YARRR -
Hello, I'm new to tym but not new to mk series. Anyways, me and my friends have been playing mkx since release. We have all came to the conclusion that the chip damage needs to be fixed or not to have chip on normal attacks. We feel that this would make matches not only longer but also maybe more intense. Thoughts...
You may be right, but it's not likely to change this late into the game's life. I'd suggest trying Unbreakable Sub-Zero to try and counter chip if it's really bothering you. Noxious Reptile is also a good option for characters that rely on chip damage.

Notez4

Noob
Reduce the chip on normals and increase the chip on specials. And maybe reduce the meter gained while performing these 3-4 meter block strings.

cambros22

Stand Back I'm a Doctor!!!!!!
Shinnok Boneshaper, Kung Lao Tempest, Kitana Jade.
While it may be something that sucks, buffing specials chip damage would be absurd. Characters with mid specials or instant airs, would be more problematic. characters like kitana, kano, subzero, liu kang who do specials alot via zoning will have even more of a meter advantage over the rest of the cast. Tanya Pyromancer's keep away would be excruciating.

There are character variations based on chip damage alone so changing it at this point would mean ruining those characters. I personally like the way it is right now.
Maybe those characters get increased chip damage depending on variation? Like Johnny cage for example.

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
I love it when people propose changes to things that make mk the unique game it is... just no
for the record I said I would like to see a kombat modifier just for fun.. and see how it plays.. not to remove chip which as you say is 100% integral to the franchise and how it has always been and always will be. Still, I do see what people mean, the aggressiveness of MK is a direct result of how chip works.

The_Tile

Your hole is mine!
Quan Chi. These characters have ways to armor out at points, but they can still mix it up and keep you locked down.
Summoner actually has a 10 second, 4 bar blockstring with Puggles out which does just over 25% chip. Its a true blockstring too so no armoring out. You probably already know that though being how much work you put into Quan.

And to answer the OP, no chip damage shouldn't be removed. It is a huge mechanic which is important to MK games now and as already said, it would render a lot of variations useless.

GrandMasterson

The Netherrealm beckons
I kind of wish that the last 5% of life would have no chip damage from normals. Losing the round from D1 chip damage is some silly shit, but that's MK for you.