What's new

General/Other - Shinnok Can we get a better breakdown for Shinnok?

RexxyC

what's done is done
On the next stream, I think it would be totally fair to get a full breakdown of Shinnok. He's one of the more recognizably different looking characters aesthetic wise and ability wise and I honestly don't think he got the proper treatment that he deserved.

First he was shown off on a day with 2 full on character reveals, one of which was probably the most hyped reveal so far (Erron Black); and then one of the poster-boys for the franchise (Liu Kang). Secondly; you didn't even properly show him off, you used him to show off the brand new training mode. While that is a totally cool new feature, he should get his own time in the spotlight.

I just think that is is fair that ole' Shinny gets a good showcase of his abilities with maybe a combo or two and not totally glossing over his special moves. Also we didn't even get intro dialogue, which I'm sure most of us would love to hear.

Thoughts?

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
On the next stream, I think it would be totally fair to get a full breakdown of Shinnok. He's one of the more recognizably different looking characters aesthetic wise and ability wise and I honestly don't think he got the proper treatment that he deserved.

First he was shown off on a day with 2 full on character reveals, one of which was probably the most hyped reveal so far (Erron Black); and then one of the poster-boys for the franchise (Liu Kang). Secondly; you didn't even properly show him off, you used him to show off the brand new training mode. While that is a totally cool new feature, he should get his own time in the spotlight.

I just think that is is fair that ole' Shinny gets a good showcase of his abilities with maybe a combo or two and not totally glossing over his special moves. Also we didn't even get intro dialogue, which I'm sure most of us would love to hear.

Thoughts?
A. Yes, they did show him off properly (or at least as much as they've shown the others). We did get a breakdown of the character in the same way the others got shown off: universal specials, variation-specific specials, X-ray.
B. They did do some combos with him, with his Shoulder and Hell Sparks. Even a combo with Sub Zero's Ice Ball in Impostor.
C. They're probably saving his intro dialogue because it might have spoilers. Even so that's not necessary for a character breakdown.

ProudDisciple

Average at Best
I can understand your frustration. Even though I'm not a Shinnok fan they could've have shown more, but I'm sure they had there reasons for breaking him down the way that they did.

RexxyC

what's done is done
A. Yes, they did show him off properly (or at least as much as they've shown the others). We did get a breakdown of the character in the same way the others got shown off: universal specials, variation-specific specials, X-ray.
B. They did do some combos with him, with his Shoulder and Hell Sparks. Even a combo with Sub Zero's Ice Ball in Impostor.
C. They're probably saving his intro dialogue because it might have spoilers. Even so that's not necessary for a character breakdown.
I will accept point C; Also I will completely ignore your first point, if you check general discussion they totally didn't even show what is apparently an air teleport special? They showed one decent combo with Subs, and that was it.

Spinky

Neutral Skipper
I find it strange that it's impossible to criticize NRS on TYM. Almost anytime someone has a problem with the way Netherrealm does something, the white knights have their pitch forks ready at all times.
I have plenty to complain about, particularly concerning the roster. This just isn't warranted at all. The only things they didn't show are an intro and one special move.

RexxyC

what's done is done
I find it strange that it's impossible to criticize NRS on TYM. Almost anytime someone has a problem with the way Netherrealm does something, the white knights have their pitch forks ready at all times.
You'd think I'd have threatened Ed Boon or something, I just don't think they did an acceptable job of showing off a flagship villain that seems to play an important role in the game at large.

RexxyC

what's done is done
Tell this to everyone who wants to see Goro.

We're lucky to be getting these character breakdowns in the first place. Most devs don't show off this much.
Also I think it's understandable that he isn't being shown. He isn't in the main roster, the central roster takes priority over DLC.

GenieWeenie

Just an insignificant speck of feculent scum.
I have plenty to complain about, particularly concerning the roster. This just isn't warranted at all. The only things they didn't show are an intro and one special move.
In your opinion it wasn't warranted. The OP felt that NRS didn't show him off like they did with the rest of the characters and the immediate response is,"stop bitching and wait for the game to come out." It's perfectly reasonable that he had a problem with the breakdown.

kantboy-2

Ripper
They missed a special move, but the rest of the breakdown was limited because he's a spoiler heavy character.

They even told Paulo to hush when he was going to describe the visual variation in Bone Shaper (the Kamidogu dagger)

Wemfs

The only morality in a cruel world is chance.
'tis true

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Look at it this way OP.

Do you rather your character have a massive hype train of "I'm gonna play this guy" like Takeda after his breakdown, or your character fly under the radar?

Ask yourself this. The answer will help alleviate any pains you may have had.

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
I find it strange to criticize something NRS gives you that they didn't have to, that is all. Seriously what happened to just waiting for the damn game to come out and finding out everything for yerself?

GenieWeenie

I find it strange to criticize something NRS gives you that they didn't have to, that is all. Seriously what happened to just waiting for the damn game to come out and finding out everything for yerself?
Then by this logic, no product ever created can possibly be criticized because they didn't have to make it to begin with. You should just be grateful they made an effort at all. I hope you see the underlying flaw with this viewpoint.

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
Then by this logic, no product ever created can possibly be criticized because they didn't have to make it to begin with. You should just be grateful they made an effort at all. I hope you see the underlying flaw with this viewpoint.
There is a difference between blindly defending against criticism, and calling out people for criticism for a game that hasn't even been touched. I don't care about criticism it's your opinion, but over something like this is a little much. You've already been given the opportunity to see what your character looks like 2 weeks before the game even hits shelves and you want to complain? C'mon bruh.

GenieWeenie

There is a difference between blindly defending against criticism, and calling out people for criticism for a game that hasn't even been touched. I don't care about criticism it's your opinion, but over something like this is a little much. You've already been given the opportunity to see what your character looks like 2 weeks before the game even hits shelves and you want to complain? C'mon bruh.
If his criticism is pure opinion, then you should leave it at that. Don't sit there and start mocking him and telling him to stop bitching like most of the people in this thread did.

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
I will accept point C; Also I will completely ignore your first point, if you check general discussion they totally didn't even show what is apparently an air teleport special? They showed one decent combo with Subs, and that was it.
Why would you ignore my first point? It's valid. Did they not show you his universal specials? Did they not show you his X-Ray? They missed out ONE special move in his entire moveset, big deal, they did that for Takeda too and you don't see everyone moaning that they didn't show him off enough. And yes, they did combos involving Hell Sparks which you seem to be ignoring for some reason. Maybe he's not a combo-heavy character or maybe they don't want to show too much before release but either way they still showed off combos. Just be mature about it and wait for the game to be released and learn more about it yourself, they're not there to teach you everything.

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
If his criticism is pure opinion, then you should leave it at that. Don't sit there and start mocking him and telling him to stop bitching like most of the people in this thread did.
Yer right, I hope you get yer 2nd shinnok breakdown 1 week before the game comes out instead of being patient and getting a better understanding for yourself. Man I hate coming off as an asshole on here, but you guys just love to bitch about stupid shit and them try to justify it with whack logic. You guys seriously don't understand that how much material we have gotten this far before release. We've been given the full roster, about 85% of them have been broken down, amd we've been given all the kombat pack content info. I also don't understand how we could be given this much and you guys still find something wrong with it. It's so annoying.

REYTHEGREAT

I have to agree here. I also wanted to see more of shinnok. Also, did anyone noticed that they forgot to do one of his move called tricky portal or something like that with his impostor variation?

i think they should show more of his strings

RexxyC

what's done is done
Why would you ignore my first point? It's valid. Did they not show you his universal specials? Did they not show you his X-Ray? They missed out ONE special move in his entire moveset, big deal, they did that for Takeda too and you don't see everyone moaning that they didn't show him off enough. And yes, they did combos involving Hell Sparks which you seem to be ignoring for some reason. Maybe he's not a combo-heavy character or maybe they don't want to show too much before release but either way they still showed off combos. Just be mature about it and wait for the game to be released and learn more about it yourself, they're not there to teach you everything.
I think i'm being mature; It was just a request to get a better showing of Shinnok because they didn't go as in depth as they had with the past characters. Also you would be surprised how much one move could change a characters gameplay up.