What's new

Video/Tutorial Can we be serious about Batman's D2?!

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
This is probably going to come off as me being cocky, but I have been dying to make this thread for months now.

"Batman can't anti-air, his D2 sucks."

To that, I say bullshit! The vertical hitbox on Batman's D2 is deceptively good. If you're trying to use it as a counter-poke tool, you'll think it isn't great because its forward reach is almost nonexistent. They have to be standing right next to you.

Also, the difference between Batman's D2 and, say, Aquaman's is that, unlike Aquaman, you can't just throw it out and expect it to work. You have to get a feel for where the D2 is most effective. It works great on a majority of jump attacks and even against the ones where it isn't so reliable, it'll trade at worst and you can recover fast enough to get a combo going.

Another anti-air option for Batman is to use trait, I know. But if you are already consistent enough with Batman's D2, use that instead. You'll want to conserve your trait for certain situations.

Examples of jump attacks I've beaten with the D2 inside and outside of training mode:

Deathstroke's jump-3
Batman's jump-2
Aquaman's jump-2 and jump-3
Doomsday's body splash
Harley's jump-2
Wonder Woman's jump-1
Martian Manhunter's jump-1

I could go on.

Still feeling skeptical? Well, watch these and prepare to be made a believer.

http://www.twitch.tv/atlgamersociety/b/510826086 - start watching from 2:18:00 to see my fights with @FOREVER KING, during which I make him respect the threat of my D2 enough that he stops throwing out unsafe jumps.

I've played Reno Racks a lot since moving to Atlanta and he too can vouch for the godlike D2 that I utilize. I should get footage of our matches to demonstrate, but for now, the above are the only video examples I can fish up. As more appear on the Internet, I'll share them here.

I strongly encourage all Batman players to not give up on the D2. It can prove integral to their gameplay.

Who needs Aquaman's D2?!?!?! :D

@AK Reno_Racks
@HomeLee1121
@Rude
@DarthArma
@NB Semi Evil Ryu

Last edited:

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
I need to practice this. I have written D2 off for so long that I've never gotten into the habit of using it.

E

Eldriken

Gonna take this to the lab later and see how effective it is against Doomsday's body splash.

Thanks for the post, Blake. It's always good to have this kinda stuff posted so those of us who play the character(s) that this works against can test it out and see if we can figure out what to do about it.

It benefits us all. :D

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
Gonna take this to the lab later and see how effective it is against Doomsday's body splash.

Thanks for the post, Blake. It's always good to have this kinda stuff posted so those of us who play the character(s) that this works against can test it out and see if we can figure out what to do about it.

It benefits us all. :D
Honestly, while the D2 can trade with Doomsday's body splash, I'd rather just walk back and trip-guard him for more damage as that works more often.

...and I've never used the "trip-guard" term before, but from what I'm told, it's defined as punishing whiffed jump attacks with a full combo like what I've been doing.

Rude

Also, are these deep versions of the jump attacks you're able to do this with?

NB Semi Evil Ryu

Former Sub-Zero of the Midwest (2011 - 2015)
It's good. It seems to, at least, trade with a lot of jump in's where I have enough advantage to follow it up with a B23 before they hit the ground.

Or that could just be my slow-ass reaction time....

E

Eldriken

Honestly, while the D2 can trade with Doomsday's body splash, I'd rather just walk back and trip-guard him for more damage as that works more often.

...and I've never used the "trip-guard" term before, but from what I'm told, it's defined as punishing whiffed jump attacks with a full combo like what I've been doing.
So that's what it's called when someone punishes the hell out of me after a whiffed body splash.

I gotta remember to tell myself to stop doing that shit. It doesn't have its Vanilla hitbox. >_>

Rude

It's good. It seems to, at least, trade with a lot of jump in's where I have enough advantage to follow it up with a B23 before they hit the ground.

You could always convert with just B2 and use straight/up grapple into whatevs.

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
I came for Batman's d2

I stayed for Blake's mullet.
dat mullet tho
I can't wait to get my haircut so I can lose this curse they call a mullet.

You can also combo with 1 2 3 after the d2, trade or not. ;) It just depends on where they're falling after the trade occurs.

As I've said, Aquaman's D2 is nowhere near as generous as Batman's in terms of hitbox and what it allows. You have to have coordination.

The Great One

"I Always d1 Lif-" SHUT UP
This is probably going to come off as me being cocky, but I have been dying to make this thread for months now.

"Batman can't anti-air, his D2 sucks."

To that, I say bullshit! The vertical hitbox on Batman's D2 is deceptively good. If you're trying to use it as a counter-poke tool, you'll think it isn't great because its forward reach is almost nonexistent. They have to be standing right next to you.

Also, the difference between Batman's D2 and, say, Aquaman's is that, unlike Aquaman, you can't just throw it out and expect it to work. You have to get a feel for where the D2 is most effective. It works great on a majority of jump attacks and even against the ones where it isn't so reliable, it'll trade at worst and you can recover fast enough to get a combo going.

Another anti-air option for Batman is to use trait, I know. But if you are already consistent enough with Batman's D2, use that instead. You'll want to conserve your trait for certain situations.

Examples of jump attacks I've beaten with the D2 inside and outside of training mode:

Deathstroke's jump-3
Batman's jump-2
Aquaman's jump-2 and jump-3
Doomsday's body splash
Harley's jump-2
Wonder Woman's jump-1
Martian Manhunter's jump-1

I could go on.

Still feeling skeptical? Well, watch these and prepare to be made a believer.

http://www.twitch.tv/atlgamersociety/b/510826086 - start watching from 2:18:00 to see my fights with @FOREVER KING, during which I make him respect the threat of my D2 enough that he stops throwing out unsafe jumps.

I've played Reno Racks a lot since moving to Atlanta and he too can vouch for the godlike D2 that I utilize. I should get footage of our matches to demonstrate, but for now, the above are the only video examples I can fish up. As more appear on the Internet, I'll share them here.

I strongly encourage all Batman players to not give up on the D2. It can prove integral to their gameplay.

Who needs Aquaman's D2?!?!?! :D

@AK Reno_Racks
@HomeLee1121
@Rude
@DarthArma
@NB Semi Evil Ryu
NEW TECH DISCOVERED! sorta new...

This is gonna come off as sorta lazy but you should expand on that list of things d2 beats.
It would really help

pleaseeeee

like really
pleasseeee