What's new

Guide Cage Redfield's Lobo Guide

Lobo is a mix-up oriented character with the ability to either rush the opponent down heavily or keep them out with his spacing tools. He is one of the few characters with a true 33/33/33 mix-up game, which involves canceling some of his strings into either Czar Toss, Hook Charge, or Low Hook, but I'll get into that later on in the guide. Lobo is obviously known for his high damage output and for having one of the best dashes in the game, but playing Lobo comes at the price of mastering some of his harder-to-execute setups and combos, such as Czar Toss MB to B3. Lobo is able to rush down or space the opponent out, but you cannot do one of those two options all of the time during a match; Lobo is not a dedicated zoning character nor is he a dedicated rushdown character. He cannot zone the opponent out for the entirety of the match since his trait reload's startup frames leave you standing in place for a very long time and he can't rushdown for too long since he is meter reliant; he cannot stay safe without doing MB Hook Charge and he cannot go into his big damage combos without spending at least one bar.

Now that you understand what Lobo (currently) is, I'll start out this fantastic wall-of-text I call a "guide" by talking about the strings and normals you'll be using the most.

STRINGS

21: 21 is your favorite string. Use this string whenever you are in the opponent's face. For starters, the first hit and 2nd hit can be canceled into Czar Toss for tick throws. You can also switch between the two when going for the 33/33/33. Be wary, though, as not canceling this string leaves you at high block disadvantage, leaving you open for a punish. Finally, after a d1 check, you are at enough hit advantage to get a guaranteed 21 afterward to pressure them, so when you d1 punish something, you can opt to force them to eat the mix-up in 21.

B12: A low-hitting string that can launch for a combo via MBB3. On block, you are +4. The range of B1 is deceiving, with the hitbox near the end of the tip of his boot, so it can be used to whiff punish. The long wind-up before the uppercut in the string is throw-immune, which is important to know in matchups like Grundy or Bane. Finally, there is a gap big enough for backdashes in-between the string, but you can catch backdash attempts with low hooks/hook charges.

113: 113 is the string you'll always be using in your combos. Outside of combos, this string isn't too useful, since the first hit is a high. However, if you commit to the string, the final hit is +6 on block, which allows you to check the opponent with b12. This is your second fastest punish, starting up at 7f and leads to huge damage. There's a gap before the last hit of the string, like b12, so you can apply the same mind-game to backdash attempts out of your pressure if it gets to that point in your matches.

B2U1: Used in combos mainly. With it's long start-up, it's not advised to throw this out whenever possible. It's best used when you've trained the opponent to respect your options from 21 or the pseudo 50-50 involving Hook Charge/Low Hook from a distance, or to stop the opponent from turtling against you. The string is throw immune in the early portion of the string. Can also be used for a 33/33/33, but it's slower and overall not as effective as 21.

12: Mainly used for a quick tick throw to start offense. You'll be using this after dashing in on the opponent or off a j2. It has a fixed launch height, so it can be used for Interactable Bounce combos. The ending of the string has next to no hit advantage, so if you choose to end your combo with it, know that you aren't getting the same oki options as you would ending it with Hook Charge

F21: used to cancel into trait mid-combo. Can also cancel into Spin Cycle to be +1 on block. Other than that, this string doesn't get much usage due to it's slow startup.

3: 3 is mainly used for a variety of things: whiff punishing, anti-airing and as a good poking tool. With it's large hit-box and fast startup, this is going to be one of your favorite buttons for a while.

D1: Your fastest poke, starting up at 6f. This grants a full combo if you use traited low shot, but you're getting about 15% from it or you can use the advantage on hit to pressure with 21. Has pretty decent range, too.

Jump 1: This is the only jump normal worth talking about when it comes to Lobo's jump attacks. This is a fantastic air-to-air, it alters his hurtbox since he moves his entire lower body in front of him, it can cross-up easily, it starts up fast. Everything about this is better than Jump 2, trust me.

Now that I've covered his normals, it's time to cover his special moves.

SPECIAL MOVES

Pump Shot (High) [DF1] : a high variation of Pump Shot, which means it can be ducked. If you cancel 21 into this special on block, you'll be +1 advantage, but the pushback will only allow you to follow-up with a standing 3 afterward, which is easily backdash-able. This is the strongest of the pump-shots. As a wakeup, it has very slight invincibility frames, so you can attempt to use it to beat out long ranged meaties, like a projectile.

Pump Shot (Low) [DF1D] : the low variation of Pump Shot, meaning it must be blocked while crouching. On block, it's -7, so you can d1 punish it if you expect it. While traited, this changes to +2 on block and leads to a full combo on hit.

Pump Shot (Mid) [DF1B] : the mid-hitting variation of Pump Shot, meaning it can be blocked standing and crouching. It is used for mostly keeping the opponent out while traited. This leads to a hard knockdown while traited.

Spin Cycle [DB1] : An anti-air throw that sends the opponent flying to the other end of the screen. Due to it being the slowest anti-air throw out of the 4 in the game, you won't be using this for it's intended purpose. It is one of your strongest enders, so you can cancel into this in your max damage combos to force the opponent to come to you. When MB'd, you can control where the opponent will fly to by holding either Left or Right during the move. Since it sends the opponent full screen, you can use this to allow you to load up trait.

Czar Toss [DBF2] : a command throw that leads to a full combo when MB'd. Your main combo tool. Can meaty with this move to stuff wake-ups with little to no invincibility. Does as much damage as Spin Cycle, so it's your strongest ender that keeps the opponent close to you, but doesn't have nearly as much hit advantage as hook charge to set up meaty situations, as it is a techable knockdown.

Hook Charge [BF3] : an overhead 13f attack that knocks the opponent down. Can be used for whiff punishing and anti-airing due to it's massive hitbox on the first hit. When MB'd, you gain 2 hits of armor during the charging portion of the move. You will be ending your combos into this for oki. From here, you have a variety of options: czar toss/block and punish, dash-up instant air Party Crasher/dash-up b12, hook charge/low hook/czar toss. This is Lobo's main way of pressuring the opponent and forcing them to respect him. The MB version of the move is totally unclashable, as well.

Low Hook [DB3] : a far reaching, low-hitting attack that reels the opponent in and next to you. Punishable at certain distances by certain options and certain characters, so unless you know your opponent can't punish this negative-on-block move at a certain distance, don't bother using this. This is mostly used in the poking game to check the opponent or catch a backdash.

Space Hook [DB2] : a slightly-less far reaching, mid hitting attack that reels the opponent in then forces them back nearly full screen. Uses your trait shells if you have them loaded. This move is punishable on block from certain distances like Low Hook, so like Low Hook, be careful about using this move if you intend to use it on block. There are no real uses for this move other than it being your strongest combo ender/special if you have a trait shell loaded.

Party Crasher [D3 in air] : a diving attack from the air that scores a hard knockdown on hit. Is - on block unless you do it instantly in the air. Is your fastest overhead option. You can apply the Hook Charge oki to this move as well. If done mid-combo, it leads to a techable knockdown.

After covering his specials and strings/normals, lets go over his trait's functions next.

Trait

Lobo's trait loads two nuclear shells into his shotgun, which alter the properties of his shotgun attacks and gives them a damage increase. The most obvious property change is found in the Pump Shots, with it's increased range and becoming unclashable. Mid Pump Shot becomes a far ranged shot that leads to a hard knockdown, High Pump Shot becomes a far ranged shot that leads to a soft knockdown, and Low Pump Shot becomes a low launcher. F23 changes to a hard knockdown. Everything else using Lobo's shotgun just has buffed damage. Since it's activation is slow, you can't really get away with loading trait in the neutral game. However, you can load trait safely mid-combo by canceling 21 or f21 into trait load. An example combo of this would be: 113 xx Czar Toss MB, f21 xx trait load or 21 xx trait load. This, of course, means that in order to safely load trait, you must open the opponent up. Any other way and you risk getting punished.

Having trait loaded can often change the match-up into your favor. If you're fighting against, say, Raven, and she wants to soul crush you, having trait loaded forces her to come at you, since trait shots lead to a ton of damage and punish soul crush.

Onto Lobo's most practical BnB's. Most of these are taken straight from the combo thread, some are my own BnB's.

BnB's

Standard Czar Toss BnB: mb czar toss, b3, j3, 21 xx hook charge - 38%, 43% traited

Easy mode Czar Toss BnB: mb czar toss, b2u1, 113 xx czar toss - 39%

Max Damage 1 Bar Punish with 113: 113 xx mb czar toss, b3, j3, 21 xx Space Hook - 46%, 50% with one shell, 52% with 2 shells.

Standard B2U1 BnB: B2U1, 113 xx mb czar toss, b3, f21 xx hook charge - 49%, 53% 1 shell, 55% 2 shells

Easy mode B2U1 BnB: B2u1, 113 xx mb czar toss, B2u1 xx hook charge or spin cycle - 48% or 49%

2 Bar Low Starter: B12 xx MBB3, J3, 21 xx hook charge - 50%, 52% 1 shell

Low Shot BnB: 21 xx trait low shot, b1 xx mb czar toss, b3, j2, 21 xx hook charge - 41% 1 shell, 44% 2 shells

Anti-air Standing 3: 3 xx MB High Pump Shot - 34% with two trait shells (cancel into hook charge when you don't have two shells for 13%-ish).

D1 punish with trait: d1 xx trait low shot, b1 xx mb czar toss, b3, j2, 21 xx hook charge - 34% 1 shell, 37% 2 shells

Air-to-air Jump 1: Jump 1, 113 xx Czar Toss MB, B2U1 xx Czar Toss or Spin Cycle 39%.

Now for one of the most important things to know when it comes to pressuring with/defending against Lobo, using the 33/33/33 mixup.

33/33/33

Lobo is one of the few characters in the game who can place you in a 33/33/33 situation from most of his basic pressure strings. The 33/33/33 is basically having the opponent guess between Hook Charge (overhead), Low Shot (low) or Czar Toss (tick throw). 2 of those options can lead to a full combo, the two being Low Shot (when traited only) and Czar Toss MB, which lead to huge damage and safe trait load (optional). This mix-up is the center of Lobo's offense. You'll be using this to train the opponent for the most part.

You can initiate this 33/33/33 from a number of normals/strings: D1, 2, 21, 12, and 1. The ones you'll be using the most are D1 and 2/21. D1 is your fastest normal, and 2/21 is, like I've said in this guide many times, your best string. If you're learning Lobo, I suggest learning how to use this 33/33/33 to your advantage. It may sound very strong, but keep in mind that all 3 options have their weaknesses: Hook Charge is only safe when MB'd. Otherwise, it's full combo punishable by all of the cast. Low Shot is only safe when traited. With no trait shells, Low Shot is negative enough to get d1 punished by some of the cast, and it leads to a techable knockdown instead of a full combo. And tick throws are jump-able, meaning they can neutral jump and full combo punish you.

Learning Lobo means you have to learn how to properly use this 33/33/33.

Approaching the Opponent

before I even get into this, realize that just because you have these options, doesn't mean you are going to have the easiest time getting in. Study the opponent's patterns, see what they can do to keep you at bay and learn the matchup and apply each of the following strategies when appropriate.

This is a little obvious, but Lobo has a bunch of tools that can allow him to have it a little easier than others when it comes to getting in from the neutral game. Most notably: his forward dash, mb hook charge, and threatening the opponent with trait shots.

Forward dash goes under most projectiles if timed correctly, including moves like Zod's ground Zod Ball, Sinestro's Fear Blast and Raven's Shadow Raven. Not only that, but it recovers fast. So fast, you're able to ignore Raven's pillar, soul crush frame trap by dashing in between the moves. While nearly impossible to time, this also goes under certain overheads like Bane's Double Punch. However, the timing isn't easy enough to just mindlessly dash in whenever you see something on the screen. Go into practice mode, get used to the timing.

MB Hook Charge was buffed in the last patch, allowing Lobo to use the move as a wakeup and was given an extra hit of armor during the charging portion. This means that, for a bar, you can plow through moves like Deathstroke's non-MB Quick Shot or Low Shot with ease. The downside to this, though, is that, like his forward dash, you have to time how you use this move and space it properly. If you do it too early on reaction to a projectile, you can get stuffed out of the move before Lobo slams the hook onto the floor, wasting a bar. If you do this move from near-full-screen distances, it'll whiff, leaving you wide open for whiff punishes.

Finally, using trait shells to threaten the opponent and inch your way in. Trait High Pump Shot is fast enough to punish most projectiles in the game, and with Trait Pump Shot being one of the strongest projectiles in the entire game, this can make the opponent hesitant about throwing projectiles to keep you away. This is more evident on the second health bar, as MB Trait Pump Shots are unclashable, meaning the opponent can eat nearly 30% if they throw an unsafe projectile. Having trait loaded and establishing that you will punish any projectile (as long as you're in range for the Trait Pump Shot) will make the opponent hesitant, and will make the process of getting in that much easier.

Miscellaneous

this stuff is important to know too, but not as much as the stuff above.

Hard Knockdowns that lead to meaty Czar Tosses: Trait Mid-Shot, Hook Charge, Party Crasher, F23 (while traited), MB Space Hook.

The following strings/attacks work for tick throws: 1, 12, 2, 21, B2u1, d1, d2

A setup that's kinda cool, but hard to execute: Czar Toss MB, B3 (after hitting b3, wait for the opponent to rebound from the b3), Hook Charge. If timed correctly, the second hit of Hook Charge will have you on the other side of the opponent as opposed to staying in front of them. If you jump immediately and use J2, it will cross-up. Delay your jump, and it'll hit same-side. This can also be initiated whenever you hit a hook charge mb and you land in front of the opponent, instead of them landing in front of you. This is mostly effective against opponents with no 360 degree hitting wakeups (basically, characters like Aquaman and Batman).

I hope this guide was useful to anyone that bothered to read it. Any feedback would be deeply appreciated, and if there's anything any of you feel that needs corrections, let me know and I'll fix/add it in the guide at a later point.

Crathen

Death is my business
I've been playing Lobo lately and it's this is good stuff , i want to add that you get the Czar Toss guessing game after MB space hook , also i get the Hook charge ambigous position a lot after 21xxMB HC and you can tick throw with d2xxCzar Toss.

Last edited:
I'm so Hollywood I got to see this months in advance.
fuck you, you're welcome, eat pussy, thank you, goodbye

Doesn't ending in Space hook also give safe trait reloads?
Whenever you're able to cancel into Space Hook mid-combo, you can just do 21 xx trait load. Both are safe, but 21 xx trait load leaves the opponent closer to you, as opposed to sending the opponent nearly full screen for that extra 2% in your combo. I only end in Space Hook when I need as much damage as I can squeeze out in a combo.

Last edited:
looks like we need a captain oxygen guide next week. and then ill make one the week after tht :p
This is the second completed guide made for Lobo so far, first for 1.06 Lobo. Red Venom's guide is incomplete. Only reason why I posted mine after his is because it reminded me that my guide was just sitting in my laptop as a word document.

FGC-Oni

Ascended One
This is the second completed guide made for Lobo so far, first for 1.06 Lobo. Red Venom's guide is incomplete. Only reason why I posted mine after his is because it reminded me that my guide was just sitting in my laptop as a word document.
Admittedly I put far more effort into "The Last Czarnian" vs. "Feetal's Gizz.

Captain Oxygen

The end of one combo is the beginning of another
Zod's zod ball on the ground is mid, his pistol move is high though.
Very thorough guide!

Zod's zod ball on the ground is mid, his pistol move is high though.
Very thorough guide!
It is a mid, yes, but Lobo's forward dash actually lowers his hurtbox so low to the floor that he can dash past it, similarly to how he can dash past Bane's double punch. The only problem is, Zod can change the speed of Zod Balls, so timing it is a pain and it's much easier to just MB hook charge through it.

Thanks a million, I put a lot of work into this guide and I'm really happy people are finding this useful.

Yashiro Aniki

Aniki of Steel
I really like it, i was gonna upload my match playing with lobo to seek some advice, but i get shocked when i sow this thread was upload 20 mints ago XD
Thank you for this guide ^^

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
I've been playing Lobo lately and it's this is good stuff , i want to add that you get the Czar Toss guessing game after MB space hook , also i get the Hook charge ambigous position a lot after 21xxMB HC and you can tick throw with d2xxCzar Toss.
21~mb hook charge always causes the ambiguous knockdown when done at point blank range. It's cool stuffs.

Last edited:

Captain Oxygen

The end of one combo is the beginning of another
21~hook charge always causes the ambiguous knockdown when done at point blank range. It's cool stuffs.
The post 1.06 HC Crossup comes from 21,hc and d1,hc pretty consistently.
I'll rarely get it from standing 3,hc and raw hc,. You can also get it from B3's and antiair standing 3,hc

99% of the time I just do neutral jump 1,12, czar toss, so far I've only had one person evade that '<'

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
The post 1.06 HC Crossup comes from 21,hc and d1,hc pretty consistently.
I'll rarely get it from standing 3,hc and raw hc,. You can also get it from B3's and antiair standing 3,hc

99% of the time I just do neutral jump 1,12, czar toss, so far I've only had one person evade that '<'
Yeah that's the thing. You have to fish for 21~hook charge to hit and there's usually a better hitconfirmable option to do instead. But swag, though. Love hitting that j2 mixup afterwards. The best way to get that setup though is to get the weird knockdown from the combo ender. There's a way to get it from most combos but it requires an extremely high level of precision. I remember nights in practice mode where I felt like I could start hitting it consistently, but by the next night I had lost it.

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
Man that B1 into the grab is hard as balls so get.:mad:
I play on hitbox. I just make sure to input all of the commands pretty much as fast as possible and as clean as possible. I'm basically hitting b+1-d-b-f+2 all as one fluid fast motion. I'd imagine it would be a lot tougher on pad than with any kind of stick/hitbox.