What's new

Match-Up Discussion - Goro Buffs Goro needs so he doesn't lose to the whole cast

Status
Not open for further replies.

ForeverKing

Patreon.com/MK_ForeverKing
So people have talked about this ever since the game was released, but it hasn't been changed yet. Goro is the worst character in the game by far, he loses to every other character in the game. I honestly can't think of a 5-5 matchup that he has. He loses 7-3 or worse to at least 5 characters (Tanya, Predator, Kung Lao, Kitana, Quan Chi, maybe more) and the buffs that they gave him in the past only benefited the strengths he already had, they never really buffed Goro in the categories he actually needs. I would love for every character in the game to be viable and have a chance of winning a tournament, that's the sign of a good fighting game. It sucks when there are characters that are so bad it's basically impossible to use them in competitive play, so you never get to see them used in tournament. So without further ado, I present my Goro buffs that I believe would make him mid tier or possibly high-mid.

UNIVERSAL

Telestomp: The hitbox on this move needs to be fixed so that it has much more priority

As it is now, people can just neutral jump punch it even if he lands on top of your head. Don't believe me? Take Goro and Quan Chi into training mode, press down up with Goro, then press jump 2 with Quan Chi. Even though Goro lands on top of Quan Chi, Goro will get dunked by the NJP for a full combo and Quan Chi won't be effected by the Telestomp whatsoever. WHAT THE....

B12U2: Fixed hitbox so third hit doesn't whiff all the time

Ok so there are times I hit somebody with a jump in punch, and input B12U2. The first two hits B12 will hit, but then the third hit U2 will whiff. Even on punishes, if my opponent does an unsafe move and I go to punish with this string, the first two hits will work and the last one will whiff. This is unfortunate because B12U2 is Goro's only reliable source of meterless damage, without this string he can only launch opponents for combos with EX punchwalk. The range of the third attack in this string should be increased so that if the first two hits connect, the third one should always connect as well.

U1/U2: Changed to 8 frame start up (down from 14)

This move cannot be used in the neutral game at all, it can only connect on your opponent if they are literally standing right next to you touching you. So buffing this move would really only buff Goro's anti air game, which is absolutely necessary. Goro has some of the worst anti airs in the game right now, the whole cast basically jumps in on him for free and gets free pressure/mixups. This attack is usually only good for stopping crossovers anyways, it doesn't have much of hitbox in front so it doesn't stop people from jumping at you from afar.

F21: Changed to 10 frame start up (down from 1000)

Goro has T-rex arms, which makes no sense because he is the biggest and slowest character in the game. You would think he has decent range at least. F21 being faster would make Goro's footsies significantly better so that he would actually be able to space out opponents and whiff punish attacks once in a while. Also attacks that are punishable but have alot of pushback on block would be easier for Goro to punish, so he wouldn't let people get away with fraudulent pressure.

D2: Changed to 9 frame start up (down from 11)

Like stated previously, Goro lacks a consistent anti air. U1/U2 is usually only good for stopping crossovers, so D2 needs to be able to stop people jumping at you from the front. Buffing this attack would help against characters like Kung Lao/Sonya/Kung Jin who jump at you from afar with long ranged jump ins, so they don't just get free attempts at pressure/mixups on Goro whenever they please.

Shokan Grab: Needs longer range

As it is, when you do D1 on block canceled into Shokan Grab for the tick throw, sometimes Goro's opponent blocks the D1 but the Shokan Grab whiffs. Not only does Goro miss out on damage and a setup for guessing right, but if the opponent is on point they can whiff punish the Shokan Grab with a full combo. That's no fun. If Goro's tick throws are limited, at least make them work.

Punchwalk: On block there are 3 hits, Goro should be able to cancel at least 2 of them into Shokan Grab.

I know you guys are gonna act like this sounds crazy, but it's really not. It's no different then Erron Black doing 21122 and canceling like 3 different hits of it into his command grab. Goro needs this to be good up close. Goro as a character right now needs to get on his opponent, his full screen options and ranged options all suck. So if you're going to make Goro suck ass at a distance, at least make him scary when he's in your face. His up close game isn't even top 10 in the game, while his ranged game is among the worst. It's so hard for Goro to get in on many characters in this game, he deserves some kind of reward for when he finally gets in. Think about it; if you guess Goro is going to cancel one of his punches of punchwalk into command grab so you jump, but Goro actually didn't cancel the punchwalk, what's the worst that can happen to you? You lose like 5% damage and get sent full screen, that's really not that bad.

Tigrar Fury

Low Fireball: +1 on block (up from -3) and 5 less recovery frames

Straight Fireball: 5 less recovery frames

EX Straight Fireball: Hits mid (instead of high)

This variation is supposed to be a zoning variation, but it doesn't zone out anybody lol. At this moment in time there is absolutely no reason whatsoever to use Tigrar Fury over Kuatan Warrior, so it would be nice if Goro could actually zone people out. Then Tigrar Fury would actually have a purpose. His EX fire ball shoots 3 high fireballs that go right over your opponent's head, if they crouch then you just wasted a bar of meter for nothing. Also all of Goro's projectiles are terrible on recovery, you're not zoning out any competent player with those fireballs I promise. We should try our best to make every variation in the game have a purpose, every variation in the game should be able to be used competitively for some reason. As of right now Tigrar Fury has 0 use in competitive tournaments.

Kuatan Warrior

Chest Lunge: 10 recovery frames on whiff (down from 34)

EX Chest Lunge: 1 frame recovery

Goro's mobility is atrocious, easily the worst in the game. His mobility is in a tier of it's own way at the bottom of the cast. If this attack had less recovery frames whiff, it would still be unsafe as hell but at least Goro might be able to use it from full screen to close the gap between him and his opponent a little bit faster.

Conclusion

So these are my Goro buff suggestions, what do you guys think? Let me know if you agree or disagree with these, or if you have different buff suggestions feel free to list them below. I know many of you are looking at this page like "man these are way too many buffs, are you sure?" And my answer would be 100% YES. Goro needs these. Honestly in my opinion, even if Goro received every single buff I listed on this page, he still wouldn't even be a top 10 character. But he would finally be able to hold his own against most of the cast, and not lose to every single character in the game anymore. Which was my goal :D I want every character in the game to be viable, but I don't know enough about the other low tier characters like Jaqui, Takeda, Jason etc. to make buff lists for them as well. I know enough about Goro playing 100's of matches with him against all the players at Yomi, and I'm sure they would all agree with me that Goro needs these buffs too. These are the changes that need to happen if you want to tune into a stream at a tournament, and actually see Goro players making top 16 and whatnot.

Last edited:

juicepouch

blink-182 enthusiast
I think regular spin in fangs should pop up while we're at it to increase his damage, considering that's his wolverine style slashing variation. That way he could get more dammy than KW does, which would give it a utility worth losing fireballs or ground pounds for

ARMOR

Khaos God
Premium Supporter
So people have talked about this ever since the game was released, but it hasn't been changed yet. Goro is the worst character in the game by far, he loses to every other character in the game. I honestly can't think of a 5-5 matchup that he has. He loses 7-3 or worse to at least 5 characters (Tanya, Predator, Kung Lao, Kitana, Quan Chi, maybe more) and the buffs that they gave him in the past only benefited the strengths he already had, they never really buffed Goro in the categories he actually needs. I would love for every character in the game to be viable and have a chance of winning a tournament, that's the sign of a good fighting game. It sucks when there are characters that are so bad it's basically impossible to use them in competitive play, so you never get to see them used in tournament. So without further ado, I present my Goro buffs that I believe would make him mid tier or possibly high-mid.

UNIVERSAL

Telestomp: The hitbox on this move needs to be fixed so that it has much more priority

As it is now, people can just neutral jump punch it even if he lands on top of your head. Don't believe me? Take Goro and Quan Chi into training mode, press down up with Goro, then press jump 2 with Quan Chi. Even though Goro lands on top of Quan Chi, Goro will get dunked by the NJP for a full combo and Quan Chi won't be effected by the Telestomp whatsoever. WHAT THE....

B12U1: Fixed hitbox so third hit doesn't whiff all the time

Ok so there are times I hit somebody with a jump in punch, and input B12U1. The first two hits B12 will hit, but then the third hit U1 will whiff. Even on punishes, if my opponent does an unsafe move and I go to punish with this string, the first two hits will work and the last one will whiff. This is unfortunate because B12U1 is Goro's only reliable source of meterless damage, without this string he can only launch opponents for combos with EX punchwalk. The range of the third attack in this string should be increased so that if the first two hits connect, the third one should always connect as well.

U1/U2: Changed to 8 frame start up (down from 14)

This move cannot be used in the neutral game at all, it can only connect on your opponent if they are literally standing right next to you touching you. So buffing this move would really only buff Goro's anti air game, which is absolutely necessary. Goro has some of the worst anti airs in the game right now, the whole cast basically jumps in on him for free and gets free pressure/mixups. This attack is usually only good for stopping crossovers anyways, it doesn't have much of hitbox in front so it doesn't stop people from jumping at you from afar.

D2: Changed to 9 frame start up (down from 11)

Like stated previously, Goro lacks a consistent anti air. U1/U2 is usually only good for stopping crossovers, so D2 needs to be able to stop people jumping at you from the front. Buffing this attack would help against characters like Kung Lao/Sonya/Kung Jin who jump at you from afar with long ranged jump ins, so they don't just get free attempts at pressure/mixups on Goro whenever they please.

Shokan Grab: Needs longer range

As it is, when you do D1 on block canceled into Shokan Grab for the tick throw, sometimes Goro's opponent blocks the D1 but the Shokan Grab whiffs. Not only does Goro miss out on damage and a setup for guessing right, but if the opponent is on point they can whiff punish the Shokan Grab with a full combo. That's no fun. If Goro's tick throws are limited, at least make them work.

Punchwalk: On block there are 3 hits, Goro should be able to cancel at least 2 of them into Shokan Grab.

I know you guys are gonna act like this sounds crazy, but it's really not. It's no different then Erron Black doing 21122 and canceling like 3 different hits of it into his command grab. Goro needs this to be good up close. Goro as a character right now needs to get on his opponent, his full screen options and ranged options all suck. So if you're going to make Goro suck ass at a distance, at least make him scary when he's in your face. His up close game isn't even top 10 in the game, while his ranged game is among the worst. It's so hard for Goro to get in on many characters in this game, he deserves some kind of reward for when he finally gets in. Think about it; if you guess Goro is going to cancel one of his punches of punchwalk into command grab so you jump, but Goro actually didn't cancel the punchwalk, what's the worst that can happen to you? You lose like 5% damage and get sent full screen, that's really not that bad.

Tigrar Fury

Low Fireball: +1 on block (up from -1) and 5 less recovery frames

Straight Fireball: 5 less recovery frames

EX Straight Fireball: Hits mid (instead of high)

This variation is supposed to be a zoning variation, but it doesn't zone out anybody lol. At this moment in time there is absolutely no reason whatsoever to use Tigrar Fury over Kuatan Warrior, so it would be nice if Goro could actually zone people out. Then Tigrar Fury would actually have a purpose. His EX fire ball shoots 3 high fireballs that go right over your opponent's head, if they crouch then you just wasted a bar of meter for nothing. Also all of Goro's projectiles are terrible on recovery, you're not zoning out any competent player with those fireballs I promise. We should try our best to make every variation in the game have a purpose, every variation in the game should be able to be used competitively for some reason. As of right now Tigrar Fury has 0 use in competitive tournaments.

Kuatan Warrior

Chest Lunge: 10 recovery frames on whiff (down from 34)

Goro's mobility is atrocious, easily the worst in the game. His mobility is in a tier of it's own way at the bottom of the cast. If this attack had less recovery frames whiff, it would still be unsafe as hell but at least Goro might be able to use it from full screen to close the gap between him and his opponent a little bit faster.

Conclusion

So these are my Goro buff suggestions, what do you guys think? Let me know if you agree or disagree with these, or if you have different buff suggestions feel free to list them below. I know many of you are looking at this page like "man these are way too many buffs, are you sure?" And my answer would be 100% YES. Goro needs these. Honestly in my opinion, even if Goro received every single buff I listed on this page, he still wouldn't even be a top 10 character. But he would finally be able to hold his own against most of the cast, and not lose to every single character in the game anymore. Which was my goal :D I want every character in the game to be viable, but I don't know enough about the other low tier characters like Jaqui, Takeda, Jason etc. to make buff lists for them as well. I know enough about Goro playing 100's of matches with him against all the players at Yomi, and I'm sure they would all agree with me that Goro needs these buffs too. These are the changes that need to happen if you want to tune into a stream at a tournament, and actually see Goro players making top 16 and whatnot.
He needs this but what if he turns into bane?

ForeverKing

you mean b12u2, by the by

I'm all for all of these at this point, but mostly b12u2 and an AA buff. I think those would truly shore up his holes and then he'd just be weak and rounded

the rest would be a great luxury
See but the thing is, I don't want him to still suck but just not suck as bad. I want him to actually stop sucking lol and be a decent mid tier character. If he only receives a few buffs he will still be low tier, he needs many buffs to have a chance of winning tournament

juicepouch

blink-182 enthusiast
See but the thing is, I don't want him to still suck but just not suck as bad. I want him to actually stop sucking lol and be a decent mid tier character. If he only receives a few buffs he will still be low tier, he needs many buffs to have a chance of winning tournament
I agree, I'm just prioritizing buffs lol

Like, if we could only get say 4, I want AA and b12u2 to work first. Otherwise he'd still suck just as bad

ForeverKing

I agree, I'm just prioritizing buffs lol

Like, if we could only get say 4, I want AA and b12u2 to work first. Otherwise he'd still suck just as bad
I agree 100%. Those buffs are the main priority. If we only could choose a few it'd be those. But hopefully we get more then that so we can actually see some Goros make top 8 lol

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
I don't play Goro, and I'm not sure you'd need all those buffs, but you surely need a lot of them from what I've heard and seen.

Then again, I've also heard a few people say he's fine so maybe he doesn't need anything at all. Maybe all you Goro main's need to commit to the character and level up.

Wait a minute, where is this theme eerily similar?

#BuffGoro

gam224

The world's least hype player
You can just jump fans and he has no chance. Awful matchup for goro and I dont even play goro.
I'm not saying this is a good match up, I am simply giving a tip to the goros of the TYM because he has it pretty bad.

FinalBoss_FGC

Day -4MONTHS Dual Jin main
The 3 punch walk hits I'm kinda iffy about.

Because MB punch walk has infinite armor...so you have to block it and that means they'd get a free grab or get knocked up for full combo...and with regular punchwalk, you can't take the last hit and punish the grab...once it hits once, you're eating the full punch walk. So block and get grabbed or don't block and eat decent damage.

Everything else, I agree for the most part.

juicepouch

blink-182 enthusiast
I don't play Goro, and I'm not sure you'd need all those buffs, but you surely need a lot of them from what I've heard and seen.

Then again, I've also heard a few people say he's fine so maybe he doesn't need anything at all. Maybe all you Goro main's need to commit to the character and level up.

Wait a minute, where is this theme eerily similar?

#BuffGoro
saltshaker remember the thread i made about the correlation between crying and getting your character buffed? Then I got blown up for it lol

Status
Not open for further replies.