What's new

Borderlands The Pre Sequel Discussion Thread

E

Eldriken

I've had it since yesterday.

All I can say is this: NISHA IS SOOOOOO FUN.

This bitch is gonna be MAD OP at later levels.

Just got my first couple hours in with Wilhelm. My co-op buddy is playing Nisha.

Level 6 right now. I like how the game gives you the first ability sooner. At level 3 as opposed to level 5- game gets started MUCH quicker, and the intro isn't boring like it was in the previous game.

Wilhelm's ability is really fun, especially flexible because you no longer have that "Will I be wasting my ability if I only use it to take down these few guys?" issue, because he can recall his drones early and get refunded 50% of their remaining active time. Instantly makes it more strategic because you can call out your drones for sustained fighting, or just because you need a quick heal and distraction for the enemy.

Right now I'm gearing my skill tree towards making Wolf awesome. It looks like a good strategy would be to get the target-lock ability for Wolf, so you can weaken an enemy, and then call in Wolf to have him finish off a weakened enemy quicker, which gets his buff ability faster (more enemies he kills = longer duration, more damage). So ideally I'd be running a strategy where I spread out damage but never actually finishing off the weaker lunatics- then having a buffed-up Wolf attack the stronger badasses.

Writing is hilarious. Jack is awesome. Oxygen mechanics are great. No complaints so far, looking to be another great Borderlands game.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
Yeah needless to say, if you liked the past 2 borderlands youll love this one. Only got to play an hour but it was just as fun as I thought it would be. The new low gravity stuff is awesome and adds a different element to the overall combat and movement system. I chose Claptrap because I find him hilarious and I was not at all disappointed. I only played for an hour but my action skill consisted of having a flying claptrap attack enemies(Like Maya and Mordecais bird), having a mini claptrap shooting rockets, getting my gun taken away in exchange for a chainsaw(more fun then it sounds) and being able to dual wield guns for an extended period of time. If you can stand claptraps voice and mannerisms I would highly suggest playing him, makes the game even more fun IMO.

Johnny Based Cage

The Shangest of Tsungs
I'm planning on going down Dreadnought and Cyber Commando with Wilhelm and taking all the skills that buff him upon activation/deactivation of his action skill, the idea being to call and recall Wolf & Saint as frequently as possible to hulk out on dem stat boosts all day erry day.

E

Eldriken

Nisha's character ability gives her autoaim, faster reload, more damage and a faster fire rate. Its cooldown is a piddly 16 seconds and one of the first abilities in her middle tree allows you to increase its duration for every kill. While it's only .5 seconds when you put 5/5 in the skill, it will surely add up, especially as you get more abilities that increase damage and all that.

Her final talent in that tree lets her make a COPY of her currently equipped pistol and dual-wield it while her character ability is activated. Now, imagine you have this godlike Legendary pistol or something and then you get two of them? SHEEEEEIT.

I need to look at the rest of her tree to see what else she has.

Anbu

AnbuSasukePro/KHAOTIC_ANBUx
I'm waiting on the game to get done downloading but I will post my opinions on Athena when it does.

Zoidberg747

I forgot to add if anyone wants to play on the 360, my GT is same on here. Im pretty busy during the week but have relatively free weekends.

Fair warning, Claptraps action skill sometimes affects the whole party not just him. So if you dont want weird and awesome stuff happening in the middle of a boss fight, tell me and Ill play someone else.

Zoidberg747

For anyone who wants to know what Claptrap's action skills are:

Torgue Fiesta: Everyone on your team has grenades shoot out of their body in all directions. Hurts friend or foe. Does not use up any of your actual grenades. Must be unlocked through boomtrap skill tree.

Funzerker: Claptrap and Teammates dual wield whatever weapon they are currently carrying. Also increases fire rate and bullet regeneration(you dont waste ammo).

Gun Wizard: You and your teammates gain super fast fire rate and reload speed. Must be unlocked through I love you guys! skill tree.

Rainbow Lasers: You shoot out lasers of all element types that obliterate anything that is close to you. Must be unlocked through Fragmented Fragtrap skill tree.

Shhhhh trap: You turn invisible and deploy a hologram. You stay invisible no matter what and the enemies will not know where you are even if you shoot at them.

One Shot Wonder: Every shot empties every bullet from your clip. Must be unlocked through Fragmented Fragtrap skill tree.

Clap-in-the-box: Digistruct a bomb that you run around with and explode to kill enemies within a large radius. Must be unlocked through I love you guys! skill tree.

Rubber Ducky: You and your team have rubber ducky suits on and bounce around, still being able to shoot. Is extremely effective with good use of the slam mechanic, and is also hilarious. Reflects bullets too, making you practically invincible.

Miniontrap: Deploys mini claptrap(turret) that shoots rockets.

Pirate ship mode: Claptrap turns into a pirate ship and shoots cannonballs everywhere for hella explosive damage. Must be unlocked through the boom trap skill tree.

Mechromagician: Weapon buffs that cause you to lose accuracy. Also regens health.

Blightbot: Summons a mini claptrap that flies around inflicting fire damage on all nearby opponents.

Meat Unicycle: Takes away your guns and replaces them with a chainsaw. You can only melee when this is activated, but is actually extremely effective provided you arent far away from your enemy and/or in a boss battle.

If anyone wants more info(cooldown, situations the skill tends to appear etc.) feel free to let me know, I just got tired of typing.

VENDING MACHINES ARE ACTUALLY USEFUL NOW!!

Oh my god. I can't tell you how relieved I am that this works better than in Borderlands 2.

Don't get me wrong, borderlands 2 had a great loot system, and you were always getting a steady stream of new and interestingly unique guns. The problem was, vending machines played absolutely no role in this. The best way to buy decent guns were the Moxxi machines, which were completely random and took away the fun of going to a vending machine and picking from an array of multiple, useful weapons.

It's still early in the game for me. I'm playing slowly only when my co-op buddy is available, but my impressions so far are that vending machines now scale properly and more frequently to our level, and are less likely to waste "deal of the day" slots on vehicle skins.

So, for some reason I can't get past the Meriff's Office load screen. It's not frozen or anything, but it's been loading for literally 30 minutes so far. Anyone else having this issue?

NorCalSamurai

Bacon Lettuce Tomato
Playing Nisha, got to level 15 last night. As much as I love this game just for being Borderlands, I've noticed a few lazy design choices. It kinda seems like they got the map and classes done, and then when it got handed over to the quest design team, they just kinda said fuck it. Missions so far have been cookie cutter and boring outside the main quest, and don't give rewards anywhere near what I've been accustomed to, even in terms of XP. I'm still having quite a bit of fun with the game, but Borderlands 2 this is not.

The only real problem I have is that the story was to short imo, and that Athena's phalanx skill tree is basically god mode. Increased gun damage with aspis out, increased aspis time, a free revive for your friends and prepare for glory which protects teammates with glass cannon builds and increases gun damage further? Yes please. Even on true vault hunter mode I havent fallen below 50 percent health yet. Put one point in maelstrom also and you instantly have insane DPS on bosses while not being able to be touched by them. Shits OP.

Rickyraws

This mean you don't like me?
Borderlands has a special place in my heart. I've spoken (and played) with countless members of the development team way back before Borderlands 1 went gold. In fact, a Scooby Doo reference in the first DLC was inspired by yours truly.

Played with Mr. Mikey Neumann, the creative director of Borderlands one (There's a Kotaku article back in I think '09 with him where you can actually see my name in his to do list note pad of people to play when the game came out)

Spoke with David Eddings (Claptrap) numerous times, and actually stream monsterd it up with him when the game broke the street date.

But then again, me and 2K kinda have a history. Had development conversations with the development team of Bioshock 2. May be part of the reason why I really enjoyed that game more than the others. You appreciate what you experience when you learn what happened behind the scenes and the people involved. 2K Boston, 2K Marin, you name it. It's not easy being Hollywood :coffee:

They need to make a PS4 Goty edition pronto.

Yoaks

A spaceman
Finished my first play through with Athena and I'm thoroughly enjoying her! Her melee tree is awesome once you get to her Blood Rush skill in her Xiphos Skill Tree. Shes basically Zer0 and Krieg in one! And I'm only on lvl 29 lol. Gonna get back on after the FSU and ND game.

Zoidberg747

I have to say the final boss is one of the best boss designs they have had in a while. Was interesting and from what I could tell there was no way to cheese him.

That being said I wrecked him in under 2 minutes. Pirate ship mode 1, Final boss 0

I spoke too soon lol. Now its even better.