What's new

BnB's - Online vs Offline

Plop

Noob
With the inclusion of the run mechanic and the inability to cancel dashes in MKX, I feel combos require higher execution to pull off in this game than they did in MK9. Don't get me wrong, they're not Third Strike hard. They're certainly doable, but they are a bit tricker. Especially online.

So, this combined with the questionable net code has got me wondering..

Is there a character that you wanted to pick up, but haven't because you felt you can't pull off their BnB's online?

For me, this is Nimble Reptile and Marksman Erron. It's also the reason I main Cybernetic instead of Cutthroat.

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
Day one I tried Sub Zero and couldnt do any of his run cancel combos online...dropped him. Came back weeks later after getting a better feel for run cancel combos and was able to do all of his online at that point.

With a decent connection, you should be able to pull off almost all the run cancel combos.

Audit

Falls down too much
The run cancel is really lenient online for the most part. I play a little Johnny Cage Stunt Double and I can do f3,bf1xxrc,f3bf1xxrc,f3,bd3 almost 100% of the time in even the laggiest of rooms. Well, the run cancel parts anyway, JC has his own issues with nut punch online in MKX ;). It's all the other stuff that sucks online like AA, punishing, whiff punishing, etc.

Now would I have a better BnB run cancel combo for Online if it was better? Probably.

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
I honestly don't see why some find it hard to Run Cancel. How much is it different than a regular dash cancel? 1 button. Is it really that hard to add the block button with the dash?

Like ie. 12 RC 124 with Sonya feels exactly like doing a 11 DC 112 with her in MK9.

kivatt

Kono Dio Da
The run cancel is really lenient online for the most part. I play a little Johnny Cage Stunt Double and I can do f3,bf1xxrc,f3bf1xxrc,f3,bd3 almost 100% of the time in even the laggiest of rooms. Well, the run cancel parts anyway, JC has his own issues with nut punch online in MKX ;). It's all the other stuff that sucks online like AA, punishing, whiff punishing, etc.

Now would I have a better BnB run cancel combo for Online if it was better? Probably.
Lucky, I only got it off once.

I can't even do my Scorpion bnb 214 tele 214 extele online. Every time it drops I die a little inside.
Online is why I stopped using Jacqui, can't do run combos online

I honestly don't see why some find it hard to Run Cancel. How much is it different than a regular dash cancel? 1 button. Is it really that hard to add the block button with the dash?

Like ie. 12 RC 124 with Sonya feels exactly like doing a 11 DC 112 with her in MK9.
It's get hard for me in an actual match, because I usually jump the gun, and think about what comes after instead of doing it.

Plop

Noob

I think it varies with the character. Characters with faster runs are easier to do run cancel combos with, I find.

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
I think it varies with the character. Characters with faster runs are easier to do run cancel combos with, I find.
Reptile has a slow Run and it's still pretty easy to do things like NJP, RC 21 RC F412 xx Slide. You can really just treat it as a normal dash cancel just press block at the same time.

Plop

Noob
Reptile has a slow Run and it's still pretty easy to do things like NJP, RC 21 RC F412 xx Slide. You can really just treat it as a normal dash cancel just press block at the same time.
Yeah I can do that lol. I don't strugglr with run cancels in general, I just think some of them are tricky to do online so I don't bother

MadPropz101

"I still got it...but not much of it"
When playing against people with a good connection, i don't see any difference in performing combos, can't believe so many people are having issues. Here is a guide on how to play online efficiently:
1. Have a solid, wired connection.
2. Play other people with a wired connection.
3. If you are on PC or XB1, do not play ranked or any mode that connects you with random people. Only go to rooms specific to your region. I find this to be a huge problem on XB1 since there are no European rooms, the only benefit here is ESL, otherwise go for the Ps4.
4. Do not play a match with someone when you have a connection below 3 bars between each other.

Shaazzyam

undefeated online evo champion
i don't think i've ever completed a combo with erron online

4. Do not play a match with someone when you have a connection below 3 bars between each other.
ping isn't always accurate. i've had 4 bar connection with people in my state that are worse than 3/2 bars half the country away.

Blade4693

VIVIVI
Combos in general can be tricky online because sometimes there is a really noticeable input delay. After a few matches I can usually get used to it, but it kind of sucks having to pretty much relearn the timing lol when the game first launched I got down some long strings with Ninjutsu Scorpion, went online expecting to nail them every time since I could offline, and the exact opposite happened lol

Then I stopped accepting challenges from people with bad PING or w.e and that seemed to help a good amount, then the difference is barley noticeable or straight up non existent.

Drew Grimey

Wired players in CA, add me on PSN @ DrewGrimey
When playing against people with a good connection, i don't see any difference in performing combos, can't believe so many people are having issues. Here is a guide on how to play online efficiently:
1. Have a solid, wired connection.
2. Play other people with a wired connection.
3. If you are on PC or XB1, do not play ranked or any mode that connects you with random people. Only go to rooms specific to your region. I find this to be a huge problem on XB1 since there are no European rooms, the only benefit here is ESL, otherwise go for the Ps4.
People that play both online MKX and offline MKX tend to notice the lag much more than those that primarily play online. Everytime I have an offline session with my friends, then I come back to MKX and try to play online, it's like a night and day difference. Even with 4 bars and wired connection, there is a noticeable input lag.

Maybe you're one of those people that can preform a difficult combo during a horrible lag spike (I've seen it done). But to say that there is no difference or that the online is fine is crazy. Unless you only play NRS fighting games online, then yeah, I guess by compassion, mkx online is fine

MadPropz101

"I still got it...but not much of it"
People that play both online MKX and offline MKX tend to notice the lag much more than those that primarily play online. Everytime I have an offline session with my friends, then I come back to MKX and try to play online, it's like a night and day difference. Even with 4 bars and wired connection, there is a noticeable input lag.

Maybe you're one of those people that can preform a difficult combo during a horrible lag spike (I've seen it done). But to say that there is no difference or that the online is fine is crazy. Unless you only play NRS fighting games online, then yeah, I guess by compassion, mkx online is fine
I play offline as well, and no i don't just play NRS games, i play Killer Instinct as well.

WakeUp DP

GT MK OshTekk.
Idk if its just me but Quan feels mid execution. Obviously not KOF execution but still harder than most chars I play!

Deadly Torcher

King Dingaling
Can't use Quan (Close or far rune strikes don't come out).

Raiden, his LBC is tough offline & online I won't even bother to pick him.

Basically any1 that requires quick inputs after a FBC, I have trouble using online.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
This x100. The online is garbage.

Even with "amazingly great online" by MKX standard it's still mediocre. My execution has always been one of my strengths and using Cutthroat online is such a chore that I don't even consider it anymore. I also play FA Jacqui and Spec Ops Cassie, and find some of Cassie's combos impossible to do online, like her highest corner BnB or the 212 after cartwheel on males, but 9/10 times offline I'll hit it.

I play a ton more offline than I do online, and I've never once played a match/set where I felt I played even 85% of my level because I'll never be able to fully adjust to the input delay. It feels even worse when you come from playing a couple of offline hours and hop online. Online to me is just for the needed MU exp against characters and good online players. Nothing more. I've begun to play it less and less to where I play online maybe twice a week now.

Online is bush.

LEGI0N47

I like to play bad characters
I'm not as worried about getting my combos, though I do change them for online. Maybe that would be different if I was still in the US. What irks me endlessly is -20 specials that are safe online.

But as far as your original question I thought Cassie would be fun, I like the brawler style. Also same withUnbreakable sub. I can't do a large portion of their optimal combos online. I only use them to play with a couple friends messing around. But I'd be super pissed if they where my main, he's bad enough.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
What irks me endlessly is -20 specials that are safe online.
Also this. Perfect example. I despise fighting Erron Black. Offline I'd call it a disadvantage MU, online I'd call it 2-8.

-Offline with good blocking if Erron doesn't hit confirm sand gust you can full combo punish with 112 every single time.

-Online with good blocking if Erron doesn't hit confirm sand gust you can mash 112 as fast as you can and he will recover in time to block it, making the unsafe sand gust fully safe 9.5 out of 10 times.

Ugh, just talking about this makes me want to ban myself from online. Lol

WakeUp DP

GT MK OshTekk.
Its you. Quan is easy as shit to use lol. Probably a 3/10 in terms of difficulty.
Ok I'll keep practicing then.

I'm having a hard time landing B32 EH BD1 +7 on block and it juggles. I can't get it consistently while I'm fighting a person

ofc its not a big deal on training mode just do db1 then b1+blk.

jaepeso170

I Have A Plan...Attack
A lot of my teleport combos with Takeda just dont come out online, but offline i can pull off every combo with my eyes closed SMH