What's new

Black Adam General Discussion Thread

shinobispectre

Heart of A Champion, Skill of a Noob :P
Wanting to get better with Martian plus ran out of time to work on him.

I'm trying again cause this character is cool, lot of good memories surrounding him and maybe I'll find a legit secondary I'm proud of in Adam lol.
Cool! Go for it! I think Black Adam is in the same spot a lot of characters like Makoto from BlazBlue or the Twins from SF4 are. After they were arguably "balanced" the bandwagon sort of died down for the character(s). I think people started to struggle against the uber tier characters with a "normalized" Black Adam and dropped him in favor of other characters. Not true for all, just my opinion. I try to keep Black Adam as a secondary but i just always end up playing Shazam more haha. Definitely always practice this character though. His damage is brutal and a fundamentally strong player (not me...yet) makes him seems broke at times. No reason why and the game seems to have stabilized enough where there is more opportunity to pickup characters without fear of radical changes.

Espio

Kokomo
Cool! Go for it! I think Black Adam is in the same spot a lot of characters like Makoto from BlazBlue or the Twins from SF4 are. After they were arguably "balanced" the bandwagon sort of died down for the character(s). I think people started to struggle against the uber tier characters with a "normalized" Black Adam and dropped him in favor of other characters. Not true for all, just my opinion. I try to keep Black Adam as a secondary but i just always end up playing Shazam more haha. Definitely always practice this character though. His damage is brutal and a fundamentally strong player (not me...yet) makes him seems broke at times. No reason why and the game seems to have stabilized enough where there is more opportunity to pickup characters without fear of radical changes.
Yeah, everyone can breath a heavy sigh of relief lol. Superman and Black Adam both seem just fine and capable of dealing with anybody still and the added benefit is that I feel like they got much more interesting as a result. They might have a couple losing match ups here and there, but I find characters like that much more engaging overall.

His footsies are great, gives you a lot of leeway reminds me of Raven movement wise and makes me wish everyone had such awesome walk speeds and strings that are more conducive to whiff punishing and solid spacing.

Also reminds me of Hawkgirl, she has mostly overhead mix ups in her strings with minimal low options.

shinobispectre

Yeah, everyone can breath a heavy sigh of relief lol. Superman and Black Adam both seem just fine and capable of dealing with anybody still and the added benefit is that I feel like they got much more interesting as a result. They might have a couple losing match ups here and there, but I find characters like that much more engaging overall.

His footsies are great, gives you a lot of leeway reminds me of Raven movement wise and makes me wish everyone had such awesome walk speeds and strings that are more conducive to whiff punishing and solid spacing.

Also reminds me of Hawkgirl, she has mostly overhead mix ups in her strings with minimal low options.
Yeah if Hawkgirl's low option shut you down full screen and even more so meter burned... -_- Haha not hating but when I have to face Black Adam that lightning strike with d1 palpatine afterwards the most frustrating haha. If he does have a weakness though upper left portion of the screen seems to be his weak area of covering...

Side note what do people use bomb for? If ever?

IrishMantis

Most humble shit talker ever!!!
Side note what do people use bomb for? If ever?
Corner set ups, do 112 black magic, throw a close bomb,
then you can do a mix off back 2, down 3, Low Lightning, MB F3, D1 zap to keep them in check,
you even have time do b2,T,D3 or B2,T B2 for a double mix

your safe doing down 3 the bomb will frame trap them plus if the try to punish kaboom combo time, repeat

shinobispectre

Corner set ups, do 112 black magic, throw a close bomb,
then you can do a mix off back 2, down 3, Low Lightning, MB F3, D1 zap to keep them in check,
you even have time do b2,T,D3 or B2,T B2 for a double mix

your safe doing down 3 the bomb will frame trap them plus if the try to punish kaboom combo time, repeat
Are Vulcan's bomb setups viable? Is there any worth doing bomb midscreen? Setting something after b2,3,2 perhaps?

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
I am also looking to pick up Black Adam, possibly as a new main.

I see a lot of good info here and I think this character is fine.

Jaku2011

Filled with determination
The bomb seems useful for annoying characters like Lex trying to get in just lay it at your feet.

shinobispectre

New 52 Black Adam is totally worth the price of a PS4. Plus the netcode is better.
To be fair there are not many people with PS4's let alone Injustice. That could attribute to better net code. :p Also the demographic of early adopters for PS4 may also correlate with better internet... I do agree new 52 black adam well worth it :p

To be fair there are not many people with PS4's let alone Injustice. That could attribute to better net code. :p Also the demographic of early adopters for PS4 may also correlate with better internet... I do agree new 52 black adam well worth it :p
Actually there are a fair number of people playing it. Somehow, more are accepting invites on the PS4 than on the PS3 version. (Maybe its because they haven't played me before?) I just played a set vs a really good Shazam player last night who used the new 52 costume just like me and my Black Adam. We fought in metropolis and it felt like a 5-5 matchup. That shit was tight and reminds me of what makes injustice fun. that shit was cannon, bro.

shinobispectre

Actually there are a fair number of people playing it. Somehow, more are accepting invites on the PS4 than on the PS3 version. (Maybe its because they haven't played me before?) I just played a set vs a really good Shazam player last night who used the new 52 costume just like me and my Black Adam. We fought in metropolis and it felt like a 5-5 matchup. That shit was tight and reminds me of what makes injustice fun. that shit was cannon, bro.
I swear if I had the money I would buy a PS4 right now because of this story. haha man that is awesome! The accepting invites things is interesting too. I hardly pay attention but are there any actual differences in the PS4 version of injustice? Different modes or designs?

I swear if I had the money I would buy a PS4 right now because of this story. haha man that is awesome! The accepting invites things is interesting too. I hardly pay attention but are there any actual differences in the PS4 version of injustice? Different modes or designs?
Eh i cant really notice any difference in graphics. It does seem smoother and has faster start up than the PS3 version.
Other than the New 52 Black Adam costume it doesn't really have anything special.
I'd say the connections between players seem better and more people are accepting invites, so that's nice.

NB Semi Evil Ryu

Former Sub-Zero of the Midwest (2011 - 2015)
So I'm starting to get back into Black Adam. But the first time that I was playing him, I would just do all of my neutral hit confirming with B23.

I would like to start opening up with a quick string and then cancel into trait and confirm from there. But I don't know what's the best bnb, in that regard. For example, one thing that I was doing this morning on hit was: 1,1, trait, B23, 1,1, MB black magic, B23 U1+3.

Is there something better that I could be doing, in regards to hit confirming with trait?

So I'm starting to get back into Black Adam. But the first time that I was playing him, I would just do all of my neutral hit confirming with B23.

I would like to start opening up with a quick string and then cancel into trait and confirm from there. But I don't know what's the best bnb, in that regard. For example, one thing that I was doing this morning on hit was: 1,1, trait, B23, 1,1, MB black magic, B23 U1+3.

Is there something better that I could be doing, in regards to hit confirming with trait?
off of just 11 string? i prefer to use 22 B1 J1xxDK B23 U1+3 in my most of my combos

So I'd do 11xxtrait 22B1 J1xxDK B23 U1+3 for a fast punish. Its easier for me to hit.

In the neutral i prefer B2xxtrait as my primary neutral footsie tool. It's harder for your opponent to wiff punish than B23
and you have more options on block (if you have trait available). And when they start respecting B2 then it opens up more of BA's close range game. like 11xxtraitthrow or Down1xxtraitthrow

Off of B2xxtrait if you know for sure they are going to block then just do B2xxtraitgrab if they are closeish to you
(if your opponent is blocking the very tip of the B2 then the grab will wiff).

If you are not sure if they are going to block the B2xxtrait then just do 22 and hit confirm into B1

And if you see them block the B2xxtrait 22 end with 3 for advantage and continue pressure or just leave it at 22 and
and play mind games since you are safe. You have alot of pressure options.

I hope that helped

Last edited:

NB Semi Evil Ryu

Former Sub-Zero of the Midwest (2011 - 2015)
off of just 11 string? i prefer to use 22 B1 J1xxDK B23 U1+3 in my most of my combos

So I'd do 11xxtrait 22B1 J1xxDK B23 U1+3 for a fast punish. It easier for me to hit.

In the neutral i prefer B2xxtrait as my primary neutral footsie tool. It's harder for your opponent to wiff punish than B23
and you have many more options on block (if you have trait available). And when they start respecting B2 then it opens up more of BA's close range game. like 11xxtraitthrow or Down1xxtraitthrow

Off of B2xxtrait if you know for sure they are going to block then just do B2xxtraitgrab if they are closeish to you
(if your opponent is blocking the very tip of the B2 then the grab will wiff).

If you are not sure if they are going to block the B2xxtrait then just do 22 and hit confirm into B1

And if you see them block the B2xxtrait 22 end with 3 for advantage and continue pressure or just leave it at 22 and
and play mind games since you are safe. You have alot of pressure options.

I rambled, but I hope that helped
This was actually a great write-up and should help me tons. Thanks!

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
I've noticed Rico Suave doing b2~trait into f3 and I was wondering what the reasoning is. I've seen him miss way more combos than he's picked up from it and think why does he bother when when just doing another string to confirm into a combo or keep block advantage anyway? Any Bladam players know?

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™
I've noticed Rico Suave doing b2~trait into f3 and I was wondering what the reasoning is. I've seen him miss way more combos than he's picked up from it and think why does he bother when when just doing another string to confirm into a combo or keep block advantage anyway? Any Bladam players know?
he's trying to bait throw techs

XxSYNDROISxX

For the Shokan since Mk3
I play half the cast but i main Shazam and i want get just as good with a second i am looking at black Adam is he a good character to cover the angles shazam lacks, i have never really messed with him but i have fought plenty but never played
What I want to know how is he since the last patch is he still viable or not worth the time