What's new

General/Other Best of 13 Randoms MK2 Tournament?

mortal_jason

Kitana's Bodyguard
Anyone interested in a Best of 13 Randoms MK2 tournament?
It could be done over the course of a few weeks, so that you aren't committing to too much.
Just like 1 tournament match a week... eventually we'd get to the finals.
I could get my sister to play as well. She really likes beating up on you guys :)

We need at least 8 people.

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
I hate to be the reality check here but...

You realize that this would have to be done on OGMK2, whose servers are immaculately bad these days, since both players cannot random on MKAK? Not to mention, OGMK2 isn't available on the PSN Store anymore and the odds of finding eight people who still have it and are willing to random select in the current era... good luck is all I'm going to say. We're in the dark ages right now and only two things will turn it around...
#1 - The UMK2 rom hack, whenever it gets released
#2 - A re-release of the classic games with better gameplay on current gen systems (not going to happen anytime in the near future since MKAK came out only 3 years ago.)

Also, the UMK2 hack, at least seems, to be about finished. When it gets released to the public we can probably start doing something with that. Unfortunately this means the community will, as I predicted, be shifting from console to Kaillera, so y'all best be getting your PCs ready to go.

Last edited:

EdFig81

Original OBS mbr/VSM/G4S
I would be down for something like this on mame/ogmk2 for ps3/xbox. I want that UMK2 mod/rom bad heh

mortal_jason

Kitana's Bodyguard
I hate to be the reality check here but...

You realize that this would have to be done on OGMK2, whose servers are immaculately bad these days, since both players cannot random on MKAK? Not to mention, OGMK2 isn't available on the PSN Store anymore and the odds of finding eight people who still have it and are willing to random select in the current era... good luck is all I'm going to say. We're in the dark ages right now and only two things will turn it around...
#1 - The UMK2 rom hack, whenever it gets released
#2 - A re-release of the classic games with better gameplay on current gen systems (not going to happen anytime in the near future since MKAK came out only 3 years ago.)

Also, the UMK2 hack, at least seems, to be about finished. When it gets released to the public we can probably start doing something with that. Unfortunately this means the community will, as I predicted, be shifting from console to Kaillera, so y'all best be getting your PCs ready to go.
Kaillera lags worse than MKAK, I don't even bother with it anymore.
Also, unless the UMK2 hack nerfed Mileena, it is pretty much a joke.
Making her roll have to be low blocked, and easier to combo with, is definitely not nerfing her...
Any word on whether that has been changed?

Anyway, we CAN have a Randoms tournament on MKAK even though Player 2 can't Random.
This would be done by P2 always selecting the character that P1 got on Random in the previous match.
When I play guys online and we want to random, this is the method we use.
1st match would be just a warm-up, and to determine who P2 would be using in the 1st actual tournament match.
I hope that makes sense.

Finding 8 people just to play any kind of MK2 tournament will be difficult.
Couldn't even find 8 when there was a $500 prize LOL.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
Also, unless the UMK2 hack nerfed Mileena, it is pretty much a joke.
Making her roll have to be low blocked, and easier to combo with, is definitely not nerfing her...
Any word on whether that has been changed?
The last version I played Mileena's special damage is heavily reduced, her telekick can be punished and avoided easily, her roll and telekick on block recover closer to you so you get much bigger combos to punish her with, her air sais are slow and take longer to charge plus she falls slower so projectiles or moves that lower your hitbox punish her for using them... yes her roll is a low, but once it hits or whiffs she cannot use it for a few seconds. She takes a brain to use now and not just spam sai spam roll spam spam spam. I think that being able to combo off of the roll midscreen on every character is a must now that she is so heavily nerfed... how else will she get damage?

After playing UMK2... playing OG MK2 is a joke.

mortal_jason

Kitana's Bodyguard
The last version I played Mileena's special damage is heavily reduced, her telekick can be punished and avoided easily, her roll and telekick on block recover closer to you so you get much bigger combos to punish her with, her air sais are slow and take longer to charge plus she falls slower so projectiles or moves that lower your hitbox punish her for using them... yes her roll is a low, but once it hits or whiffs she cannot use it for a few seconds. She takes a brain to use now and not just spam sai spam roll spam spam spam. I think that being able to combo off of the roll midscreen on every character is a must now that she is so heavily nerfed... how else will she get damage?

She will still get damage by having-

1: An awesome projectile
2: A super fast Roll
3: Arguably the best sweep, uppercut, and jab in the game

The fact REO rolled (ha) through the competition just by spamming and rolling showed that she needed to be nerfed further.
Believe me, I'm not alone when I say that. My sentiment was echoed by everyone I talked to about it.

OG MK2 is only a joke thanks to Sony or whomever is responsible for letting the servers go to pot.

mortal_jason

Kitana's Bodyguard

I can destroy anyone short of elite players, just by using basic moves with Mileena.
That shows how powerful she is.