What's new

Beliefs, Non-Beliefs, Worldviews and Philosophy v2.0

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
You can believe in things without being 100% sure of them. Proof: Your life goals, dreams and your self-esteem. You might fail at something, but you sure won't succeed if you don't believe in yourself. Even if deep down inside you can't know for sure if you will succeed or not you still gotta believe in what appears to be realistically or statistically impossible.
Of course you can believe in those things. But it's a false equating between physical existence and concepts. Goals, values, ideals, these are simply concepts and attitudes. Gods are an actual question of existence. Saying "I believe in friendship" and "I believe in Goblins" are two totally different realms of belief.

Rodrigue

Spongerod
You can't give up something you never liked in the first place. I don't think Revolver ever decided "I think I'm done liking boobs."
That's exactly my point Mayo but according to Cal, not all gay people are born gay. So I just asked him which straight guy would willingly give up boobs to turn gay lmao

The Highlander

There can be only one
I respect everyone's beliefs insofar as they don't impede on my freedoms and they don't force themselves into science class.
I wasn't taught creationism but my school was expressly forbidden from teaching anything about evolution. Our biology textbook had about a paragraph mentioning it but it was never brought up in the classroom. And this was at least until 2010, idk if it's changed but probably not
The most salient point of the whole debate right here. When I moved to America I was in complete disbelief that my biology teacher had to state that we were going to cover evolution and that if anyone was offended they could leave! This is incredibly tame too, other parts of America clearly have it much worse. This type of shit never happens in Scotland. You can believe what you want, but the second it starts interfering with my education I have a massive problem with it.

BRUTALITY

Banned
i think that this reality isnt the final form of reality, i think its closer to simulation or illusion. i think when we die it is over. i think believing that we are it, here and now, and we are lucky enough to be concious in the present, is too much a coincidence to be natural. i think this existence is supernatural like part of a computer. i think panspermia is the likeliest cause of life on earth but at the same time dont necessarily believe aliens do exist because i cant get past the thought that this is a simulation and doesnt necessitate the need for the existence of other life at this moment

Error

DF2+R2
The Brian Banks story comes to mind: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/24/brian-banks-ca-football-p_n_1543992.html

They have every right to sue. Men are unfairly viewed as guilty of sex crimes before the lab results are even dry, but anytime a hot teacher has sex with a 14 year old boy, he's called an idiot for snitching. The double standard is ridiculous. If you truly believe rape and pedophilia are disgusting, then you should be equally outraged by a beautiful 30 year old woman having sex with a teenage boy.
It's also disturbing how only one side can claim drunkenness as a defense. Why does the onus of responsibility, when both parties are drunk, always fall on the male?

And now these vague laws of affirmative consent are being put into place, where consent can be withdrawn at any moment, which could mean even after the fact. I saw a post earlier describing how this could be exploited and it's very scary.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/09/11/us/california-bill-sets-sights-on-curbing-campus-sex-assaults.html?_r=0&referrer=

KIllaByte

PSN: playakid700. Local name: BFGC MonkeyBizness
No no no, you got it all wrong. I've done this thread a great service by effectively separating worthless intolerant atheists from inoffensive atheists. My opinion or your opinion doesn't matter here. What's important is that we will know who the scumbag atheists are. :)

See people can't say they respect other people beliefs then start arguing with them for 2 pages about why they feel they are wrong or stupid for believing in "fairytales" or believing in something metaphysical. Any time an atheist tries to question someone else's belief and/or asks them to provide scientific proof to back up their belief they fall into the "worthless" category and prove they in fact do not respect other people's beliefs since they are actively trying to discredit, ridicule and devalue those beliefs.

If most atheists just sat in their corner with their own little insignificant belief then I would have no reason to hate them. But it's the fact that too many of them are trying to impose their views to the believers that truly makes them the scum of the earth. I'm 100% agnostic even if I believe the chances of an intelligible designer not existing is almost 0%. But for example my mom is religious and I hate it when my atheist brother or someone else tries to convince her that the bible she reads and her god is full of shit. I mean it's ok if you don't personally share their belief but why try to take away something that makes them happy and gives them hope? My mom doesn't play video games and doesn't take drugs so religion and god is like her passion and it's her way to find inner peace, comfort and just feel good in general. Spitting on her belief is spitting on her entire life. Why is it your business that some people believe in these things? Just let them and keep thinking you are intellectually superior.

I still think Atheism is ultimately pointless. Their only common and universal belief is that they do not believe in the existence of a deity. Ok... Well that's a super interesting, imaginative, useful and constructive point of view! Not. It's like saying you don't like MK in a MK board. Who cares, good for you? Do you want a cookie? What's your purpose? Are you trying to convince MK players that MK sucks? No? Then why do you exist? And why do you feel the need to keep telling MK players that you don't like MK?

However it's important to note that I only hate Explicit and Aggressive Atheists. Any other kind of Atheism might as well be considered Agnostic or "inoffensive".

Also, I completely understand that religion is more important in the US which makes atheists a prouder minority (between 4-8%) while they are becoming a majority in Canada. Here a lot of people will look at you weird for being anything other than atheist. Which also explains why there is a growing hate towards Explicit/Aggressive atheists since they are becoming more and more "convinced", condescending towards Christians and racist towards immigrants, especially Arabs/Muslims. These types of atheists are convinced that they know better than everyone else (because they have science on their side) and they firmly believe that the world would be better without any religion or without religious people. They are becoming more and more extremist so people who believe in equality are fighting back against ignorance, xenophobia and intolerance. Laic/Secular Agnostics refuse to let their multicultural nation or country be defined by intolerance/atheism of any kind.

You guys simply haven't experienced Atheism at its strongest and final form. It's absolutely disgusting, unhealthy and might as well be considered a terrorist/hate group at that point.
So, you're using intolerance in order to find out who the other intolerant folks are?
What gives you that authority? Is it because you get to magically think that the life of an atheist is somehow insignificant, and that their world view is somehow insignificant?
Spirituality is a natural propensity of the human mind, dude.
I exist because Biology, Astronomy, and Geological sciences aligned in the most goddamn amazing coincedences ever over billions of years of time, and that allows me to breathe, see, think, talk, laugh, and appreciate. What more could I want?
"yolo lifestyle"
Yeah dude, I rape all I want.
And that number is zero, because I'm actually a reasonable human being, along with most of the rest of everybody, because humans are naturally pretty cool. Only when negatively influenced, or forced to survive, is a beast unleashed.
it seems that most of the Atheists you're referring to are the edgy seventh grader Atheists who actually do need to validate themselves somehow-- but you're not being too different from them in incorrectly validating your perceived hatred.
All you have to do is not be presumpuous. Stay in awe of the world / worlds. There's always more to know. You don't need to be so confident in your aggressive claims. Maybe say your stuff as questions for us next time, and not everybody will respond negatively to you.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
And you're missing the point that being LGBT is not a choice, you don't choose to be LGBT & you can't change it or stop. You have a very fucked up & limited idea of what it means to be homosexual if you think you're not born LGBT or you can change what you are.
This my friend is 100% untrue -- while it's convenient for people to try to reduce human beings to a simple black vs. white, the truth is that there are people that have feelings all the way along the spectrum (and there is a spectrum, not a switch or a toggle). For example, you could have a guy that likes girls -- but also discovered feelings toward one particular guy at one time. Those feelings might last forever, might turn into liking other guys, or might not translate to liking any other guys, ever. Or they just might go away. There are also probably people that have liked one thing, until they tried something else, and then they ended up liking that. There are people who have probably made the change in either direction.

You can't tell me that I'm born liking what I like, and it's just genetics and it'll never change. When I was a kid I hated the taste of certain foods. As an adult my preferences are different. Sometimes that's due to forcing yourself (what they call "an acquired taste", which you eventually do begin to like), and sometimes it's just because people change.

I've known people who were nice people and grew to be not so nice; people who were mean in grade school and became very nice people. Nothing is set in stone other than your anatomy.

We're complex; our preferences and emotions cannot be reduced to a simple "Forever A" or "Forever B". It's silly to try to make light of the power of the human brain. We are all detailed, individual people, and that's part of what makes the world beautiful.

Last edited:

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
A vote is not imposing your beliefs, you're basically being asked your opinion by means of ballot. The popular opinion gets the nod.
In my country, indigenous Australians were not allowed to vote. A referendum was conducted in 1967 on whether or not they should be given the vote. If I voted against that, would that be morally ok? Would I not be forcing my bigotry and hatred onto others? I'd be imposing my belief that they don't deserve the same rights and privileges as the rest of the members of society.

To be honest, I wouldn't vote because it's none of my damn business. Whether I disagree or not, it's not my place to ruin someone's life and take that happy moment away from them.
I always forget you don't have to vote. I can respect not voting, but I could not respect someone encouraging others to vote against it or actually voting against it themselves.

DevilMaySpy

Mama's Little Bumgorf
It's also disturbing how only one side can claim drunkenness as a defense. Why does the onus of responsibility, when both parties are drunk, always fall on the male?

And now these vague laws of affirmative consent are being put into place, where consent can be withdrawn at any moment, which could mean even after the fact. I saw a post earlier describing how this could be exploited and it's very scary.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/09/11/us/california-bill-sets-sights-on-curbing-campus-sex-assaults.html?_r=0&referrer=
It's unbelievably stupid. A man is at fault for being drunk, but a woman is absolved of all responsibility. Where's the logic in that? The man has to insert his penis, so he knows what he's doing?

CCVengeance

The one guy hoping for Kai
Is this thread the reason I've been getting religious adds on this site?
Come on, guys I dont want to see click and convert next to the chubby gay dating add.

If religion really did exist how come there aren't any prophets and shit coming in the modern age? Where humans are derpy.

HellblazerHawkman

Confused Thanagarian
If religion really did exist how come there aren't any prophets and shit coming in the modern age? Where humans are derpy.
I think this also plays into the modern age. 2000 years ago, dude on the street yells some crazy prophecy that happens to come true, he's a prophet. Same thing now? Crazy guy got lucky. There was something I watched on the History channel (lolz) a few years back about a guy who made some REALLY accurate predictions using some weird mathematical formula (predicted the date of the big recession we just had if I remember right) and he didn't get much notice. To that end, I think we have way more actual crazies who make that guy look crazy because there is no ruling church who'll burn you alive for trying to prophesize anymore

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
Religions, politics, gay/ not gay.
Can't we just embrace life and mind our own business?
Yes I'd love it if people stopped looking at me with disgust when I'm with my boyfriend in public (not kissing or feeling each other up, just holding hands). I'd love it if people didn't actively campaign against equal rights for me.

Saying people should mind their own business is all very well and good, but when religion and religious organisations work to deny people rights and spread misinformation that's when I take issue and will not sit quietly and accept it.

juicepouch

blink-182 enthusiast
That's a good question. If the ideal is equality why are we infantilizing women by allowing them to be absconded of responsibility for being drunk but not men? This doesn't seem to me to be something that feminists would be in favor of, unless I'm missing something (which I probably am)

----------------------------------

As for religion, sexuality, and most other issues:

If you're nice to me I don't care what you believe in really. We could all skip over some red tape and just try to be more decent to one another, I believe.