What's new

Beliefs, Non-Beliefs, Worldviews and Philosophy v2.0

Error

DF2+R2
I still think Atheism is ultimately pointless. Their only common and universal belief is that they do not believe in the existence of a deity. Ok... Well that's a super interesting, imaginative, useful and constructive point of view! Not. It's like saying you don't like MK in a MK board. Who cares, good for you? Do you want a cookie? What's your purpose? Are you trying to convince MK players that MK sucks? No? Then why do you exist? And why do you feel the need to keep telling MK players that you don't like MK?
Your example doesn't really make sense, the world isn't an MK board and religion isn't the default belief.

This. And I agree, Jesus was a great philosopher who taught kindness and love. As an atheist I don't hate Jesus, I just don't think he did supernatural stuff.

Your example doesn't really make sense, the world isn't an MK board
Is it not? :DOGE

People are living GIFs. Cops abuse their powers. Canadians play righteous police. Pigs get banned/censored for showing a penis on TV. Teens lose their shit over nude stills. There are gruesome fatalities everywhere. 800000 to a million people commit hara-kiri every year. Think about it, I'm sure everything will start to make sense eventually..

It could be argued that we are in fact living in a living MK board. But we should first define what is a "board" and what is "MK". :16Bit

Flagg

Noob
This. And I agree, Jesus was a great philosopher who taught kindness and love. As an atheist I don't hate Jesus, I just don't think he did supernatural stuff.
Bingo.

I fully believe Jesus existed, and wanted nothing more than for his fellow man to get along side by side. Walking on water? Feeding 5000 people with a loaf of bread. No. Did not happen.

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
I'm 100% agnostic even if I believe the chances of an intelligible designer not existing is almost 0%.

I still think Atheism is ultimately pointless. Their only common and universal belief is that they do not believe in the existence of a deity.
1. If you don't believe in a god you are an atheist, whether you like the word or not. Agnostic just means you don't profess to have any kind of certainty, the same way most atheists are (including myself). Theism/atheism is the belief/non-belief, gnostic/agnostic is the profession of certainty or knowledge, or lack thereof. I know a lot of people don't like identifying as atheist for the stigma it brings, but that's what it truly means.

2. It's not a belief though, it's a lack of belief. I don't think it's fair that people consider atheism to be a belief system. It's as much of that as "off" is a TV channel. It's not a belief in a negative, it's a lack of belief in a positive. Yeah, a TV being off is a pointless TV and there's nothing to watch on it. But that's missing the point if we don't care about watching TV.

NoobHunter420

Scrub God Lord
let's assume that the bible is a lie and there is no such thing as god.
how can anyone explain to me why and how the fuck do some people start speaking in a tongue that they don't know when they worship "god".
I seem that shit first hand and is so fucking scary( especially when you are 10).
what about the collapsing and shit

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
how can anyone explain to me why and how the fuck do some people start speaking in a tongue that they don't know when they worship "god".
I seem that shit first hand and is so fucking scary( especially when you are 10).
Because they're speaking incoherently and letting whatever syllables come out come out lol. That's something that exists in many religions, not just Christianity.

NoobHunter420

Scrub God Lord
Because they're speaking incoherently and letting whatever syllables come out come out lol. That's something that exists in many religions, not just Christianity.
That is far from incoherent IMO, there always seem to be some sort of structure to the nonsense.
most of them don't remember that they said

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
5 year olds do the same thing at the store when they don't get the toy they want.

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
That is far from incoherent IMO, there always seem to be some sort of structure to the nonsense.
It's coherent in the sense that they're using sounds that sound like they're saying something, but it's not. Anyone can do it and sound like they're doing it, especially when motivated to do so in a social setting where everyone else is. And yeah, if you spoke incoherent jibberish for 2 minutes you probably wouldn't remember what you said either lol.

Studies have been done on it, and the interesting part of it is that in every culture that takes part in this, the syllables that come out are sounds that exist within the speaker's native language. Therefore there is no new or foreign language speaking through them, they're just yelling jibberish.

1. If you don't believe in a god you are an atheist, whether you like the word or not. Agnostic just means you don't profess to have any kind of certainty, the same way most atheists are (including myself). Theism/atheism is the belief/non-belief, gnostic/agnostic is the profession of certainty or knowledge, or lack thereof. I know a lot of people don't like identifying as atheist for the stigma it brings, but that's what it truly means.
Agnostics can believe or not believe in a designer. They simply believe it is impossible to completely prove or unprove metaphysical concepts since they reside outside of human senses and outside of science's capacity. It isn't in contradiction with spiritual belief and isn't a sign of metaphysical/spiritual disinterest. It is only in contradiction with the certainty of most religious beliefs.

In contrast, an atheist cannot possibly believe in a god.

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
Agnostics can believe or not believe in a designer. They simply believe it is impossible to completely prove or unprove metaphysical concepts since they reside outside of human senses and outside of science's capacity. It isn't in contradiction with spiritual belief and isn't a sign of metaphysical/spiritual disinterest. It is only in contradiction with the certainty of most religious beliefs.

Agnosticism is a meaningless term. There are an infinite number of propositions that you can't disprove. That doesn't make it reasonable to take a neutral position.

"There exist...3 supreme forces beyond the universe..made of cheese, in the form of unicorns. We can not comprehend them completely, but we must do our best to know them and live as they wish."

"Well, I can't DISPROVE your belief, so I guess I'm agnostic!"

Nonsense. Tell me this, and I will proudly declare myself an A-Unicheesist. Because there's no reason to believe that it's true just because I can't disprove a baseless assertion.

NoobHunter420

Scrub God Lord
is it just me or non-beliver happen to have be in fields of science/technology.
the closer you are to science the less you believe in god.
I consider myself agnostic cuz nobody can prove me shit.
I wonder if a billion years from now people will study all the history of religions/gods and laugh at us.
5 year olds do the same thing at the store when they don't get the toy they want.
just l0l

Sage Leviathan

I'm platinum mad!
There could definitely be some validity to that.

That said, I believe the greatest contributor to my current atheistic beliefs was my interest in poetry. It forced me to be much more open-minded.

haketh

Noob
And you're missing the point that being LGBT is not a choice, you don't choose to be LGBT & you can't change it or stop. You have a very fucked up & limited idea of what it means to be homosexual if you think you're not born LGBT or you can change what you are.

I consider myself agnostic cuz nobody can prove me shit.
I wonder if a billion years from now people will study all the history of religions/gods and laugh at us.
While its true that nearly 95 percent of scientists today are athiest/agnostic, that has more to do with the modern trend of more and more people being non-religious and secular and not just scientists. Some of the greatest freethinkers of the 19th and 20th century were Christian or held some belief of a higher power.
Also, in a billion years our nano-insect overlords will not permit laughter, as it strengthens resolve and encourages the rest of the brood.

rev0lver

Come On Die Young

Yeah, you can be an agnostic atheist or an agnostic theist. You can't be an atheistic theist. But most people who consider themselves "agnostic" don't currently hold a belief in a god or follow a religion, and are therefore atheist.

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
I honestly don't know who would be willing to give up boobs just to turn gay. However, you might be right. Circumstances can affect people sometimes.
You can't give up something you never liked in the first place. I don't think Revolver ever decided "I think I'm done liking boobs."

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
When is that true? When is a gay person not born gay?
No, @Cal-EL is right, in a couple ways.

For one thing, "gay" is an identity, not necessarily something you're born with. Someone with homosexual feelings may identify as "straight", and it doesn't make them any less straight than someone else if they only have relations with the opposite sex despite their feelings. We choose our identities but don't chose our feelings, which is another point -

We don't know for certain what causes someone to be gay. It's not really an argument whether someone "chooses" to like men or not, but there might be a lot of factors that aren't necessarily biological. Most of the evidence points to it not being JUST biological, but a combination of many factors (that we don't know for sure yet) beginning with a biological predisposition. These factors are also probably not the same for everyone. It's not anyone's fault that they're gay, but some people might have gone a different path to homosexual tendencies than others.

Agnosticism is a meaningless term. There are an infinite number of propositions that you can't disprove. That doesn't make it reasonable to take a neutral position.

"There exist...3 supreme forces beyond the universe..made of cheese, in the form of unicorns. We can not comprehend them completely, but we must do our best to know them and live as they wish."

"Well, I can't DISPROVE your belief, so I guess I'm agnostic!"

Nonsense. Tell me this, and I will proudly declare myself an A-Unicheesist. Because there's no reason to believe that it's true just because I can't disprove a baseless assertion.
Does Unicheesism exist? It does now because you imagined it. :joker: You just created a universe of people who believe in unicheesing. Maybe everything exists in imagination land? What if those very cheese unicorns decide to cross-over our universe? Has your wild imagination just doomed us all? MAAAAYYYYBEEE.

You can believe in things without being 100% sure of them. Proof: Your life goals, dreams and your self-esteem. You might fail at something, but you sure won't succeed if you don't believe in yourself. Even if deep down inside you can't know for sure if you will succeed or not you still gotta believe in what appears to be realistically or statistically impossible.

HellblazerHawkman

Confused Thanagarian
As a guy who spent a lot of time with spooky shit, that's the kind of stuff that fogs up the legitimate stuff. Like 95% of pastors don't have the training to deal with the supernatural, incidentally.