What's new

AUSTRALIAN TOURNAMENT RESULTS - iFat | Gilbagz Wins YSB #41!

Nuovo_Cabjoy

G O R O B O Y S
York Street Battles has long been THE monthly event for Sydney's FGC. We've been lucky enough to hit 20+ entrants for MKX for most months since the games release, and this month was no exception! Once again we had Castiel fly down from Queensland to get his last chance to practice prior to next fortnight's major, Battle Arena Melbourne 8. We also had Ghost Police come all the way from Canberra (but if we're being honest, he's one of the Sydney crew by now).

Coming off the back of Wollongong's first major last month, Expand Gong, iFat|Gilbagz went into YSB #41 with a target on his back. Placing at this month's YSB was extra important, with seeding points for BAM8 on the line. With an early bracket loss to Wazminator, iFat|Gilbagz's chances were looking a little grim but he persevered! Climbing through losers bracket in top 8, all the way to GF where he stole the victory from Saggat83 with a clean 3-0, 3-1. Saggat83 for the last however many events has placed consistently in top 3, showing he's a force to be reckoned with, while I rejoined top 3 for a second month with my return to the lord of Woolay himself, Quan Chi. We had some absolutely incredible sets this weekend, so please please check them out. For any of you Cryomancer non-believers, I think you'll get a pleasant surprise if you sit back and enjoy @Gilbagz's matches. Catch the results after the break:

From left to right: Saggat83 (2nd place), iFat|Gilbagz (1st place), Cabjoy (3rd place)

Top 8 Results:

1. [NSW] iFat | Gilbagz (Cryomancer Sub Zero)
2. [NSW] Saggat83 (Tempest and Buzz Saw Kung Lao, Mournful Kitana)
3. [NSW] Cabjoy (All Quan Chi's, Blood God Kotal Kahn)
4. [NSW] Wazminator (Swarm Queen/Brood Mother D'vorah)
5. [QLD] Castiel (Demolition Sonya, Piercing Mileena)
5. [NSW] Spruce Moose (Pumped Up Jax)
7. [ACT] Ghost Police (Sektor)
7. [NSW] Friendo (Impostor Shinnok, Shaolin Kung Jin)

Match log: http://challonge.com/Ysb41mkx

Top 8 Archive (will update with YT link when available):

Top 8 starts at 02:05:10
https://www.twitch.tv/ozhadou/v/63668082

Small problem with stream, so here's the rest of the GF:
https://www.twitch.tv/ozhadou/v/63692023

@n-megabytes

Attachments

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
Jesus, you vs Waz was mental! From Waz blocking the hard to blockable in the second game to you jumping over his ex ovipositors at the end of the 3rd game...man *pats head with towel*

If there's one matchup I'd like to have seen that didn't happen it would be Castiel vs Gilbagz, because Castiel is reeeeeeaaaallllllyyy good at using the grenades to stop people moving or catching their moves/mistakes while Gilbagz is SUPER relentless rushdown.

Also Friendo's instant air teleports are disgusting. THE DIRT. And I hope Waz optimizes his Brood Mother some more because it was looking pretty nasty.

However, the real winner is the stream. Even though it lost a few times it still managed to make it to grand finals ;)

Nuovo_Cabjoy

G O R O B O Y S
Jesus, you vs Waz was mental! From Waz blocking the hard to blockable in the second game to you jumping over his ex ovipositors at the end of the 3rd game...man *pats head with towel*

If there's one matchup I'd like to have seen that didn't happen it would be Castiel vs Gilbagz, because Castiel is reeeeeeaaaallllllyyy good at using the grenades to stop people moving or catching their moves/mistakes while Gilbagz is SUPER relentless rushdown.

Also Friendo's instant air teleports are disgusting. THE DIRT. And I hope Waz optimizes his Brood Mother some more because it was looking pretty nasty.

However, the real winner is the stream. Even though it lost a few times it still managed to make it to grand finals ;)
Thanks for checking it out! I was a bit bummed in a couple of scenarios against Waxminator (two or three raw trances, which were all supposed to be b1 trance), but overall I just had to keep him out. Wazminator is already an absolute beast in casuals, doesn't drop anything and makes awesome reads. He just needs to get used to tournament settings a bit more. Same with Castiel. I'm expecting big things from these two once they get some more tournament exp.

Nuovo_Cabjoy

G O R O B O Y S

And yeah Friendo's ia tele's are insane, he uses both the dpad and the analogue stick to get em as low as possible. Unfortunately he ate a few too many divekicks but I'm sure he'll be back next tournament playing even better than he did here.

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
Thanks for checking it out! I was a bit bummed in a couple of scenarios against Waxminator (two or three raw trances, which were all supposed to be b1 trance), but overall I just had to keep him out. Wazminator is already an absolute beast in casuals, doesn't drop anything and makes awesome reads. He just needs to get used to tournament settings a bit more. Same with Castiel. I'm expecting big things from these two once they get some more tournament exp.
And yeah Friendo's ia tele's are insane, he uses both the dpad and the analogue stick to get em as low as possible. Unfortunately he ate a few too many divekicks but I'm sure he'll be back next tournament playing even better than he did here.
Of course! Your whiff punishing B1~trances were great although I could tell you got some input errors but it happens. I heard someone saying about Friendo using the thumbstick, I've seen people do it occasionally but he does it so consistently it's cool to watch. I'll try and catch more of your tournaments if I can but I have a lot of other stuff to catch up on as well haha! Plus I also have like 4 more weeks of footage from our local to edit up and upload but there'll be a thread for that soon enough :D Keep it up! Hopefully you guys will get some ESL attention!

God Confirm

We're all from Earthrealm. If not, cool pic brah.
@God Confirm where the fuc were u?
getting aced by Castiel online :p

no seriously he was tough as when I played against him a few weeks ago, I'm gonna bring it to him next time I see him tho :D

My PS+ is down till I move house, but I'm looking to travel to attend one of the Sydney boys tourneys in a month or so

and congrats to Gilbagz!

getting aced by Castiel online :p

no seriously he was tough as when I played against him a few weeks ago, I'm gonna bring it to him next time I see him tho :D

My PS+ is down till I move house, but I'm looking to travel to attend one of the Sydney boys tourneys in a month or so

and congrats to Gilbagz!
Yooo, whats your PSN?

wish I could play all you guys again... but the PS4 is broken and apparently it can't be fixed :( good stuff by everyone at the tourny :)