What's new

ATTN INJUSTICE FANS: MLG looking to add a fighting game - We need your help!

Would you like to see Injustice be MLG

• Total voters

Icy Black Deep

Still training...
Wait, Evo has to talk and make deals with Nintendo for many months just for that one tournament . . . and now Nintendo is willing to make a deal with MLG?
Internet rumor is that Nintendo wanted Evo to pay for the rights to run the tournament and Evo didn't want to. Deep-pockets MLG probably doesn't have hang-ups like that.

VenomX-90

"On your Knees!"
Of course the FGC would like to see Injustice be MLG, but the sponsers or ppl who run MLG will probably ask you to KNEEL before them. So watch out what you are asking lol.

Cabronium

Stream monster: Qperg.
@AK Pig Of The Hut said something i really agreed with on the LBSH podcast the other night
"Why, because someone had the foresight to say hey this is actually might have some kind of really strong media market"
Injustice clearly has a media market because it is based on one. DC comics is a major corporation and has many fans that support and read their comics. There is high potential for this game to expand into getting more support. We just have to execute in how we present ourselves to MLG and sponsors. I don't know how to do that myself because i'm a 17 year old but i have the vision that it can be done.
Pig do you have anything to add onto this? If anyone has ideas please share!

Icy Black Deep

Still training...
Just getting to Pig and the MLG stuff -- timestamp is ~210 minutes in for those of you who don't want to sit through the whole podcast.
Edit: Cabronium tricked me about what thread this is. Comments work here too.

"It's not just about entrants" - @DarthArma
"Part of what it offers . . . [are] the personalities" - @AK Pig Of The Hut
Totally agree.

Everyone should watch this:
"He said 'Do they have personalities?' and I said, 'Yeah' and he said, 'Are they competitive and fired up?', and I said yes. And he said 'Is there a storyline that you can tell? Do some of them win or lose? Is there a Yankees and a Red Socks?' and I said, 'Absolutely' and he said, 'I don't really care about video games--that's what I care about.' And that's what makes it a spectator sport."

Last edited:

Cabronium

Just getting to Pig and the MLG stuff -- timestamp is ~210 minutes in for those of you who don't want to sit through the whole podcast.

Totally agree.

"He said 'Do they have personalities?' and I said, 'Yeah' and he said, 'Are they competitive and fired up?', and I said yes. And he said 'Is there a storyline that you can tell? Do some of them win or lose? Is there a Yankees and a Red Socks?' and I said, 'Absolutely' and he said, 'I don't really care about video games--that's what I care about.' And that's what makes it a spectator sport."
Does the injustice community not have rivalries or personalities? Do we not have plenty of competitive people?

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
@AK Pig Of The Hut said something i really agreed with on the LBSH podcast the other night
"Why, because someone had the foresight to say hey this is actually might have some kind of really strong media market"
Injustice clearly has a media market because it is based on one. DC comics is a major corporation and has many fans that support and read their comics. There is high potential for this game to expand into getting more support. We just have to execute in how we present ourselves to MLG and sponsors. I don't know how to do that myself because i'm a 17 year old but i have the vision that it can be done.
Pig do you have anything to add onto this? If anyone has ideas please share!

Totally agree.

I've got plans and currently in the organizing and structural phase

I'll update as I go but it's an undertaking

Compbros

Man of Tomorrow
I voted no. I love MK9, but I want fighting games to succeed with esports. That is not going to happen with Injustice. MLG needs a huge title to make this work for the long haul. USFIV for example. I know that's not the game, but until they get a Capcom game MLG will continue to drop fighters and pick it back up over and over.

...lbsh....its a smash game....

SFIV is the fighter pushed in ESGN and the division is already in trouble with talks of it being dropped because people simply aren't watching. I think this is a problem as it feels like the Capcom Community hates "esports" more than any other so including their game still isn't enough to get pass the stigma of esports. So to say "if you REALLY want the FGC to flourish in esports it needs Street Fighter" is a bit off considering it's showing not to work at this moment.

If something like this does happen, regardless of what game it is. SUPPORT IT. I think most would agree that MLG puts together great events, they have also built great relationships with sponsors and partners. Supporting them helps the FGC as a whole if they choose to pick up a fighting game again.

Icy Black Deep

Still training...
Does the injustice community not have rivalries or personalities? Do we not have plenty of competitive people?
We do. I just want to +1 the importance of that.
100 people playing the game can probably sustain competition, but to have something like MLG you need a hundred or a thousand times that [edit] watching.* To bring in money you need spectators, and spectators appreciate talent but they also like a story.

Hell, just look at the recent brouhaha over the missing stock report and the black-marker report. Even in this community of people who play the game pretty seriously people are after an entertaining story about the personalities. (I haven't seen anyone asking where the in-depth analysis of the top 8 matches is, for example.)

*Or maybe more. I'm not doing any math here.

Last edited:

Cabronium

We do. I just want to +1 the importance of that.
100 people playing the game can probably sustain competition, but to have something like MLG you need a hundred or a thousand times that.* To bring in money you need spectators, and spectators appreciate talent but they also like a story.

Hell, just look at the recent brouhaha over the missing stock report and the black-marker report. Even in this community of people who play the game pretty seriously people are after an entertaining story about the personalities. (I haven't seen anyone asking where the in-depth analysis of the top 8 matches is, for example.)

*Or maybe more. I'm not doing any math here.
You're right my friend. I think a game like injustice could really flourish in the MLG system. We have the backstory, we have the personalities, we have plenty of rivals. Plus from a person who doesn't play fighting games perspective it looks awesome to see familiar characters like batman and superman fight it out and that can attract more people to play. We just need the exposer and in the right way.

TotteryManx

cr. HP Master
SFIV is the fighter pushed in ESGN and the division is already in trouble with talks of it being dropped because people simply aren't watching. I think this is a problem as it feels like the Capcom Community hates "esports" more than any other so including their game still isn't enough to get pass the stigma of esports. So to say "if you REALLY want the FGC to flourish in esports it needs Street Fighter" is a bit off considering it's showing not to work at this moment.
I have no idea what esgn is. Maybe that should say something in itself.