What's new

ASUS VH236H LCD Monitor - The Best (the EVO monitor)

Gurpwnder

Saikyo Student
Just wondering, why is the 23 inch size so heavily emphasized? Does the picture quality degrade on larger/smaller monitors?
Also, are there any significant differences between the LCD, LCD/LED and LED versions of these monitors? (besides the backlighting)

Thanks.

DanCock

Cock Master!!
ok i just bought one.. i discovered that i have a issue with playing on these monitors. things seem laggy to me, but its clearly me.. so im going to get use to playing on these monitors.

Red Reaper

The Hyrax Whisperer
ok i just bought one.. i discovered that i have a issue with playing on these monitors. things seem laggy to me, but its clearly me.. so im going to get use to playing on these monitors.
Make sure it's on game mode and the PS3 is outputting at the korrect resolution.

I just got one a couple weeks ago and they are niiiiiiiice baby! 2ms response, and volume is alot better than what I was expecting. Also extremely lightweight. Good buy!

Just wondering, why is the 23 inch size so heavily emphasized? Does the picture quality degrade on larger/smaller monitors?
Also, are there any significant differences between the LCD, LCD/LED and LED versions of these monitors? (besides the backlighting)

Thanks.
I don't know of any significant differences but the 23" is what you will find at most tourneys so it's good to have to be used to. Last tourney I went to I don't think I held a combo the entire time because of the difference from my 32" to playing on that, HUGE difference in that particular case. But for me, use what the tourneys will be using and that way when I lose it's because the better man won, and not because "wtf why can't I catch him with f2 vicinity blast?!?"

KRYS9984

Noob
I just put together a new PC and decided to purchase a a screen that would also serve for gaming.

Fortunately, the local computer store (where I purchased my PC components) had the ASUS VH236H monitor new for $175.00 CAD with a $20.00 CAD mail in rebate. I didn't hesitate on the deal, I immediately called them and reserved one. I really love the fact that I got everything for a great price (locally) to avoided shipping delays; there's nothing worse than waiting for an item(s) purchased online.

This monitor is INCREDIBLE!

KRYS9984

Noob
Does anyne know how the rebate thing works. I just got my Asus and idk how to get the rebate. Please help.
Try this website DJ L Toro.

https://asus.4myrebate.com/?oc=ASU-11135

Just follow the steps, provide all the necessary information such as mailing in a copy of your invoice, the original tag from the box, etc..... and you should be set up with your rebate in a couple of months.

I used the same website to request my rebate when purchasing the ASUS VH236H last August. The only difference is that my requested was from Canada and your is from the U.S (this link is specifically for U.S resident who purchased in the month of October).

KRYS9984

Noob
Here are a couple images of my ASUS VH236H Monitor.

I use it as my main PC monitor but switch out to the Playstation 3 when needed.

KRYS9984

Noob
I'm thinking of getting the VW246H, I guess the only difference is the size of the screen

http://www.microbytes.com/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=&products_id=31953&osCsid=588923f66241a875879ca8afb8cc077f

KRYS9984

Did you keep the default settings?

I just looked at the specs and the only differences seem to be the screen size and a few minor differences in other aspects such as horizontal refresh rate, pixel pitch, etc..... but no big deal.

If you feel the extra $30.00 (actually $50.00 because the VH236H has a $20.00 mail in rebate) is worth spending for 1" in screen size, go for it.

I would ultimately recommend the smaller version because of its lower cost and reputation; It's the EVO standard for a reason.

As for settings,

It was pretty much plug and play for me; the default settings were very good but I will look into the other modes / settings for optimal results.

Ashenar

Just a slightly above average player.....
I have to admit I enjoy the monitor ever since I got it. I spent 100 dollars the local arcade I play at was selling one of there extras they had the owner knew I wanted to buy one sometime so he cut me a deal.

Johnny2d

Xbl: Johnny2Die
Are these still considered to be the best monitors? After realizing how awful the lag is on my lcd tv at home (it took getting bodied at my local tourney by lagless setups for the first time) I am looking to get the best setup possible.

This Asus 27" LED has 1MS response time. This should be even better than the ones in the original post here right? I'm just curious since this thread is a year old now. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236302

EdFig81

Original OBS mbr/VSM/G4S
Are these still considered to be the best monitors? After realizing how awful the lag is on my lcd tv at home (it took getting bodied at my local tourney by lagless setups for the first time) I am looking to get the best setup possible.

This Asus 27" LED has 1MS response time. This should be even better than the ones in the original post here right? I'm just curious since this thread is a year old now. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236302
Very good question. I am honestly looking for a new PC Monitor to buy that I can also use for my games. I want something bigger then the ASUS 23 inch everyone else uses. I would love to hear what everyone else thinks of this monitor .

MoFuzz

Noob
everyone should read this thread before posting questions here, it answers a;most all of the ones you can think of:

http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/sub-1-frame-hdtv-monitor-input-lag-database.145141/

And remember: response time does not equal input lag! A 1ms response time could have poor post-processing
Thank Christ, there is someone around here who actually knows what they're talking about.

People are so often misled into thinking that a low response time means low input latency. They are not the same thing at all.

The vast majority of monitors do not advertise their input lag numbers. You have to rely on forums and review websites.

Johnny2d

Xbl: Johnny2Die
Thank Christ, there is someone around here who actually knows what they're talking about.

People are so often misled into thinking that a low response time means low input latency. They are not the same thing at all.

The vast majority of monitors do not advertise their input lag numbers. You have to rely on forums and review websites.
That's exactly why I asked my question, to get advice from people that know more than me :)

Sent from M-Class Star Freighter USCSS Nostromo