What's new

ask Quan chi thread

reptar

Noob
Hmm.. I think I've been knocked out of that during a wake-up. Seems to be vulnerable during the phase that you're going through the ground. I should test it again, though.

Swoops

Noob
Has anyone tested what the effects/properties are on EX b,f 3? Thought it might give a health boost or drain some life from the opponent, but no such luck. I really want to know why I would use it >.<

EDIT: Totally figured it out, don't know why I didn't see it before. It drains super! Interesting...maybe a really good anti-breaker tool.

Yet another tidbit, one EX trance takes almost one full stock of meter. So if they started out with a full bar and you were to do three EX trances, they would be left with roughly 10% of their meter. Combos that drain meter sound like a lot of fun.

nageki

Noob
taking a meter away from someone is serious business in tournament play, do you guys know who was using quan chi in the pdp tournament?i heard about it but have yet to see it

Dulllyanna

You're going to shoot guns at me?
Are Quan-Chi's f1,2 or f1,2,1+2 safe on block and uninterruptable? I'm curious since asides from rune trap shit I think that's his best combo starter damage-wise.

Also, what's the rough timing on dash-cancelling trance? I can't seem to get it down.

nageki

Noob
Unless i was simply playing it wrong, he matches bad against both sub zero's, simply because he has a hard time getting in, skull is useless since it trades :(

KingKuma

Noob
Unless i was simply playing it wrong, he matches bad against both sub zero's, simply because he has a hard time getting in, skull is useless since it trades :(
Have you tried using the behind teleport more in the Sub-Zero match ups? Most Sub-Zero players control space by doing clone, then iceball. If you see them using those moves a lot you can predict the iceball and do a behind teleport. That should get you close enough to pressure with some of your strings.

I wouldn't really know though just some thoughts. I never got to redeem my code before PSN was shutdown :'(

Swoops

Noob
In projectile wars and general spacing I like to throw out trance instead of skull every so often. I'm almost positive it is the single best trade in the game. I've broken out of freeze and I've been teleported, yet I'm still able to get a full combo off. Start up isn't horrible, but I wonder what it can be punished by at longer ranges.

Oh, and if anyone wanted to know how quan can punish Kung lao's spin, I use small dash, f+1, 2 xx trance.

Semi

Noob
- Liu Kang's B3,1,2 is 100% safe on block. It's either +/-1~2 frames on block (or something of the sort) which is bad for us. It takes us back to the default jump/uppercut/poke situation.

- Without a doubt the worst matchup for the Quack (my lingo for "Quan Chi") is Kung Lao because you NEED to jump in and force your mixups... and unfortunately Kung Lao is a no fly zone.
It's very hard to punish a blocked spin. (ugh)
Low hats come out faster than skulls.
Sky drop is really risky because Lao gets a free spin if you drop behind him and Lao gets a free 1,2,1,2 followup if you drop in front. Lao's 1,2,1,2 is easily hit confirmable... so on block he builds nice meter 'n low hats you at the end then applies pressure. 1,2,1,2 on hit... well... no need to go there.
Lao can apply wakeups on knockdown because Quan Chi doesn't have anything to get him off.
Kung Lao is a really -really- bad match up... use Raiden instead.

(jeez... taking about the Kung Lao matchup makes my package shrink...)
okay okay... lets move on

- Another application for EX rune is after an anti-air uppercut. You have to delay the rune slightly to anticipate for tech rolls though.

- F1 anti-airs surprising well and can be cancelled in trance. This works against those people who only jump-punch. Kinda weird... try it out.

- The Sub-Zero matchup isn't bad. This is one of those rare matchups where you can almost mindlessly throw out max ranged trances in hopes of catching him when he ice clones. Sky drop from behind stops the clone abuse too. Remember Subby CAN'T drop a clone at extremely close range. So get in his face 'n jump over him. I've been told that Subby has an offense... but you know people 'n their stories! :p

- B3,1+2 / F1,2,1+2 / U3 are all great post-combo followups. Go easy on U3 seeing as you need to commit to trance.
Quan Chi is the only character that has a non-commitment low starter that's safe on block. Use it... abuse it... and when they start blocking low mix it up with U3 to get 'em salty.

- most people block with "muscle memory" rather than visual cues. Mixing up B3,1+2 and F1,2,1+2 works wonders.

- Make sure you uppercut EVERYONE outta the air. The Quack doesn't have a spin or a flip kick or anything that's quick to put fear in your opponent's heart when you're up close at a neutral state. Oddly enough your best option up close is to uppercut because:
1) it's his fastest option that does damage
2) it'll beat all high attacks (fast jabs) and grabs 100% of the time.
3) it'll piss your opponent off.

When your opponent is scared to use his faster jabs/attacks up close that's when you can start jumping over him and applying your mixups. (except for Kung Lao)

- I have very mixed views on D4 xx skull. Skull is pretty much safe on block 'n builds meter while being annoying at the same time.
BUT
if you're close enough to D4 'em you shoulda just jumped in on 'em instead seeing as the odds of you getting anti-aired are very unlikely at the range. (except for Kung Lao)

- EX trance is a must in competitive play because Quan Chi is SLOW. He has bad knees and throws punches like a girl. So when you're in close you gotta make it count. Getting a breaker in your face creates too much distance and he's too old for that shit. Get in the habit of monitoring your opponents meter.
It also makes your opponent frustrated... which is good.

- If the rune trap is patched out it's not a big deal. In competitive play you'll never sit on a full meter anyway. After an EX rune you have enough of an advantage to get a free jump on everyone which is plenty. (except Kung Lao... don't jump at this asshole)
If you don't need EX trances chances are you don't need the rune trap to win.
It does get people pretty twisted though...

Xstatic

Noob
So, I've been trying to find a semi-safe mix-up after hitting with the new telestomp, and I'd like to get some feedback on this set-up. After the telestomp, I'm doing either 212 or grab. The mix-up here is block or no block. 212 can't be crouched and on hit results in a stagger effect for more pressure. On block, it's does decent block damage, builds some meter and is safe (I think); however, cancelling the last hit with skull whiffs even if the opponent is blocking low... Weird.

I like the idea of this set-up as a safe alternative to b3/u3 mix-ups.

Lyuben

Sinestro's might!
My question: What is his best anti air? I have trouble with people who do jump ins all the time.

Xstatic

Noob
He has an amazing uppercut. I think it is 7 frames. It's not that great for cross-ups, though.

Quan Chi must have a 10 frame d1. It looks just as slow as Liu Kang's.

spongebob

ಠ__ಠ
Gonna start playing Quan chi im wondering how much advantage do you get off a blocked jump in punch? Not really Quan chi specific but it's because I'm wondering if you can end a combo with 11 EX-skull then you get a free jump in, im not even sure if you get advantage of a blocked jip though so don't know whether or not you could get any mixups after it. Also any1 know the frames on a jump in kick blocked low to the ground? Online I virtually always get a free throw attempt after one but that might just be bad players.

hey guys totally new to quan chi. What are Quans corner combos if he has any, and are what is his most effective BnB? I know of b 21 b 21 1 bf3 b3 12 uppercut which does 37 but not sure if its the highest with no meter. Also, what is the most effective way to get damage with the b3 21 starter?

hey guys totally new to quan chi. What are Quans corner combos if he has any, and are what is his most effective BnB? I know of b 21 b 21 1 bf3 b3 12 uppercut which does 37 but not sure if its the highest with no meter. Also, what is the most effective way to get damage with the b3 21 starter?
I've been doing:

b+3,1+2 > dash > b+2,1 > dash > b+1,1 xx Trance > dj.1/2,1,1 xx Sky Drop
b+3,3 xx Trance > dj.1/2,b+2,1 > dash > b+2,1 > dash > b+1,1 xx Ground Burst
u+3 xx Trance > dj.1/2,b+2,1 > dash > b+2,1 > dash > b+1,1 xx Ground Burst
f+1,2 xx Trance > dj.1/2,b+2,1 > dash > b+2,1 > dash > b+1,1 xx Ground Burst
b+2,1 > dash > b+2,1 > dash > b+1,1 xx Trance > dj.1/2,1,1 xx Sky Drop
(air-to-air) dj.1/2 > dash > f+1 xx Trance > dj.1/2,b+2,1 > b+1,1 xx Ground Burst
nj.1/2 > dash > b+2,1 > dash > b+1,1 xx Trance > dj.1/2,1,1 xx Sky Drop
Trance > dj.1/2,b+2,1 > dash > b+2,1 > dash > b+1,1 xx Ground Burst

If all you want is damage, or perhaps distance, you can replace the 1,1 xx Sky Drop enders with b+3,1+2 > dash > uppercut, but the pressure after Sky Drop is usually what I prefer. In the corner, same combos, but ending with Skull Ball instead of Ground Burst. If the opponent has enough meter to breaker, I often instead go for:

b+3,1+2 > EX Trance > dj.1/2,b+2,1 > dash > b+2,1 > dash > b+1,1 xx Ground Burst
b+2,1 > EX Trance > dj,1.2,b+2,1 > dash > b+2,1 > dash > b+1,1 xx Ground Burst

If they have too much meter to prevent breaker with EX Trance and I have enough meter and feel I can kill them with it, I cut the combo short and use Trance > EX Skull Ball > EX Ground Burst.

thanks a lot. im having trouble linking in a ground burst at the end of the b 21 b21 b1, 1 combo. am i missing something here?

Yeah, the last patch made it a bit hard to perform off certain starters... using the far Ground Burst off the starters that used Trance as a juggle hit shouldn't be a problem, but other starters -- f+1,2 and Trance, for example -- that don't use Trance as a juggle hit make it a bit difficult to connect... personally I find it easier for those two to hit b+1,1 when the opponent is low and connect a mid Ground Burst rrather than a far version afterward, but you could also replace the enders with dj.3/4 xx Sky Drop. Might be preferable actually, if you'd like to stay close to the opponent, but in the corner, b+1,1 xx Skull Ball shouldn't be a problem.

f+1,2 xx Trance > dj.1/2,b+2,1 > dash > b+2,1 > dj.3/4 xx Sky Drop
Trance > dj.1/2,b+2,1 > dash > b+2,1 > dj.3/4 xx Sky Drop

Can't do this if you've used Trance as a juggle hit though; you'd have to remove a b+2,1 to make it work.

PANDEMlC

El Psy Congroo
Can you set the rune trap up straight out of a trance or do you need the ex skull first?

Also, best block strings? I know the b2 + 1 and b3 1+2. Looking for things to poke people with or other strings that might be useful such as the up + 3

Good ways to combo into Xray, or is that a bad move with Quan Chi? Similar to using xray with Sektor or Cyrax.

spongebob

ಠ__ಠ
Can you set the rune trap up straight out of a trance or do you need the ex skull first?
You can get rune trap off of any close (maybe mid) ex rune that hits them grounded. In other words you can just run up to someone get your 21 blocked then runetrap.

Lyuben

Sinestro's might!
You can get rune trap off of any close (maybe mid) ex rune that hits them grounded. In other words you can just run up to someone get your 21 blocked then runetrap.
Is there a way to escape the rune trap?

Say someone does 2,1 runetrap on you. That would do around 12-14% if blocked. Which leads to the same set up again until crunchy is out of meter.

But cant you let the 2 hit you and breaker as the 1 hits you? That could be a way out?