What's new

Match-up Discussion Ares match up discussion 1.06

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Probably because he was black god knows with these admin <3
Thats almost as racist as going to the birth of an asian kid and saying that he looks like his mother, father, brother, sister, neighbour and everyone else

you really should skype with me and chongo. we got shit you know nothing about and noone else should otherwise wed be stoned out of TYM

Mr Aquaman

Armored Launcher
Administrator
Premium Supporter
@Mr Aquaman even though I body you, what do you feel the nw- ares mu is?
Prepatch i ran it daily with lulz and great NW players in my area who dorpped it after the patch, and I thought it was even then, but it was a young game and i had a leg up it felt. D1 still hurt as much as it does now, flying gracon didnt really change much, just something else to block rather than duck low for most mix ups. Id say its still even despite the changes. Ares zoning really hurts him, all your mb options i trade with meterless and interupt with de, and once im in if i catch nw off gaurd its easy pickings, you gotta have the reactions to stop ares. Still even to me personally

Mr Aquaman

Armored Launcher
Administrator
Premium Supporter
If you played GL would you want to zone or go in? What would be the optimal way of taking down ares
GL has a few full screen reads, you have to zone to get in, and once your in you should win. MB rocket is how orochi always changes the match. on block turbine in, on hit dash in and mix up or just wait, gl can punish all ares wu options but mb tele and that will lead to neutral positioning or you can check that option with a d1 to stop a mixup. Ares cant do a thing about b1, careful when you b1, 3 minigun cause ares can b1 check you out of lift or another b1.

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
To me, as someone just comparing tools, it seems like MB tele is a ridiculous advantage for Ares vs Zod. Any guaranteed trait can be MB teled to waste 2-3 secs, Zod balls can be TPd on reaction too. Ares seems to be superior to Zod in footsies due to 12f B1 against 15f phantom strike/13f F2.

Ares is a very interesting character. I need to look up some combos and setups and definitely play him as a second/tertiary with black adam.
I feel minimum 6-4 ZOD

ZOD plays ares close

The Gabriel

Mean Man
Nothing can be teleported on reaction...that is the cornerstone of why Ares is ass and why the meter burn is useless, as it should negated the start-up, not the recovery.

Mr Aquaman

Armored Launcher
Administrator
Premium Supporter
Thanks @EMPEROR_JUPITER for the set today. Glad we finally got to face eachother. Its a super funky MU but I still feel ares worst. MMH is just the death of shenanny's. Thanks for the brutal ass beating but it felt every match was super close, we need to talk about it and play more!

EMPEROR_JUPITER

Your ego betrays you.
Thanks @EMPEROR_JUPITER for the set today. Glad we finally got to face eachother. Its a super funky MU but I still feel ares worst. MMH is just the death of shenanny's. Thanks for the brutal ass beating but it felt every match was super close, we need to talk about it and play more!
anytime man, great set today sorry i had to go so early. i somewhat know the MU but i feel there is much to learn! i had no idea ares had a strong corner game, and i would agree its tough for ares, but it is very fun MU to play! and our set was close lol, i usually just snuck a teleport in for the win of each match

Mr Aquaman

Armored Launcher
Administrator
Premium Supporter
anytime man, great set today sorry i had to go so early. i somewhat know the MU but i feel there is much to learn! i had no idea ares had a strong corner game, and i would agree its tough for ares, but it is very fun MU to play! and our set was close lol, i usually just snuck a teleport in for the win of each match
yeah ares can really make lifebars dissapear in the corner :]

InFlames

dead
You still MIA on PSN?

InFlames

dead
So what do you guys think matchups are now with the new resets?

Cyborg is a clear 7-3 now, no doubt about that. DS probably 5-5 along with Sinestro. BA I can see being 4-6.

4x4lo8o

Noob
So what do you guys think matchups are now with the new resets?

Cyborg is a clear 7-3 now, no doubt about that. DS probably 5-5 along with Sinestro. BA I can see being 4-6.
I haven't had a chance to mess with the resets yet, but I've been talking to King Hippo and he's not convinced that it's guaranteed or viable against Deathstroke. I'll figure it out and run more offline sets with him soon

Presuming they are actually guaranteed though, the biggest issue I see with them is that you have to land a 3d2 or a Godsmack first. There's not really any reason for most characters to ever get hit with a raw godsmack so most of the time this is going to be started off of a 3d2. That's not exactly easy or free to land either.

Against Deathstroke it's probably really good. You get a 3d2 if you teleport a gunshot and that's often what you were trying to do anyway. Before I had the match up as a potential 3-7 and I agree that this probably swings it close to 5-5.

I don't know about the other match ups. I don't have any Cyborg experience so my opinion isn't worth anything, but I honestly still think that match up is 5-5. I feel like this barely helps with the BA match up, it's probably still 3-7. Sinestro could go either way. It might make the match up in Ares favor or it might still be in Sinestros favor just because it's hard to land the kind of hit you need.

orochiDragon

PSN OROCHI-dragon / Archangel-44
The MMH match up is the worst for me. I seem to get teleport punched on reaction to every special, plus I can never really impose much of a mixup game on him. The worst part is, I have trouble with the scrubby ones too... If I could ever get clean hits I feel I could really do some damage, but that's a big if.

BlackViper415

TYM's Head Herpetologist
Does anyone know how to deal with Lex? I got ANNIHILATED by a good Lex Luthor the other day. Maybe it's just because I don't know the matchup, but I feel like Ares can't do anything in that matchup. I can't find a conceivable way to beat that stupid trait. Everything Ares has is just to slow to deal with it.

orochiDragon

Does anyone know how to deal with Lex? I got ANNIHILATED by a good Lex Luthor the other day. Maybe it's just because I don't know the matchup, but I feel like Ares can't do anything in that matchup. I can't find a conceivable way to beat that stupid trait. Everything Ares has is just to slow to deal with it.
I have the same problem! That armor is just too good when you have no multi hit moves.

4x4lo8o

Noob
I have the same problem! That armor is just too good when you have no multi hit moves.
@Mr Aquaman You're being summoned

Mr Aquaman

Armored Launcher
Administrator
Premium Supporter
@Mr Aquaman You're being summoned
This one will require a very lonog write up, after work ill post up. It's a messed up MU, ares really struggles vs trait, its basuically ending every combo to put him full screen then zone your ass off and hope you hit him dashing in with trait. His big hitbox ares can do some nasty cross ups though. Me and rev think its even, but it may be a bad mu. Will go into detail soon!

orochiDragon

quote="4x4lo8o, post: 1450046, member: 10988"]@Mr Aquaman You're being summoned[/quote]
This one will require a very lonog write up, after work ill post up. It's a messed up MU, ares really struggles vs trait, its basuically ending every combo to put him full screen then zone your ass off and hope you hit him dashing in with trait. His big hitbox ares can do some nasty cross ups though. Me and rev think its even, but it may be a bad mu. Will go into detail soon!
Dude you are the shit. Thanks for all the help. When I get a cc, ima show the the fruits of my labor. Hopefully I can get videos of my invisibility set-ups in match.