What's new

Match-up Discussion Ares match up discussion 1.06

4x4lo8o

Noob
Why not just staff spin the godsmack? Or just mb B3
A neutral jump is probably the best option most of the time, because it's meterless, doesn't take any damage, and leads to a full combo(unless NW gets significantly more off a b3 than he can off a jump in, I'm not completely sure). But if jumping it is difficult staff spin, mb b3, flying grayson, and dashing(forward or back both work because you're generally dashing out of the way rather than using invincibility frames to avoid it, but it depends on timing and spacing) are all options that can be used on reaction.
Because of that I think the idea that Godsmack is a problem for NW is a bill of goods, but that does seem to be the first thing anyone mentions when they talk about this match up(especially now that Ares can't duck MB Staff Spin anymore) which is probably why Chongo specifically asked for info other than Godsmack

Red Reaper

The Hyrax Whisperer
Yeah, I been realizing lately that my Ares is really lame and I think I might approach a lot of match up differently than most Ares players. I didn't get to play you at WNF last night(you and Krayzie disappeared without saying anything :() but next time I'm over there we should get another set it

Ares MMH is horrible. I've reached the point where I'm almost definitely going to counter pick in that match up. I don't even want to try grinding that match up any more. The other weekend when Krayzie showed me I couldn't even safely to trait dash cancels without him punishing on reaction that was really the last straw for me. The match up is just miserable
Yeah. I wanted to stay but Krayzie was rushing me to take off. That's why I didn't even say bye to everyone. He was feeling sick the whole time and just wanted to leave. He was thinking of not even entering the tourney too...

I definitely don't really use trait kancels from range. I actually don't really zone with Ares.. lol. The fact that he loses up klose and far makes it really bad.

I think it's great that you know how to zone and be lame. I didn't start doing as well with Arrow until I learned that. That said, I think Ares and Arrow are similar in some ways since they both shouldn't just be rushing down or zoning konstantly. They have to switch it up and when they do get in, they have to kondition people based on their poking game.

As for some of the offense. I think you should try using the advantage of your 22 more. I saw you 22~D4 a lot and while it's good for you that Theo wasn't interrupting it (at least at first, didn't see the rest of your matches) you lose out on pressure. Even D1~Teleport kan work as a follow up if they aren't kounterpoking fast enough. And if they are kounterpoking immediately then you already know the answer to that. B1 into D1 also works. Against most of the kast, at worst you get a trade (since you're minus 1 and you have a 6 frame D1). If they kounter poke, B1 MB tele behind into 22 will punish them. If B1 konnects or they kounter poke the D1, you kan hit konfirm into a kombo.

I had soo many things in my head for Ares pressure. It just sucks that he gets beat by some characters badly. I also only got to play against two characters so far with him: Martian (Krayzie and Bad Larry) and your Cyborg, so my experience with him is limited.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
A neutral jump is probably the best option most of the time, because it's meterless, doesn't take any damage, and leads to a full combo(unless NW gets significantly more off a b3 than he can off a jump in, I'm not completely sure). But if jumping it is difficult staff spin, mb b3, flying grayson, and dashing(forward or back both work because you're generally dashing out of the way rather than using invincibility frames to avoid it, but it depends on timing and spacing) are all options that can be used on reaction.
Because of that I think the idea that Godsmack is a problem for NW is a bill of goods, but that does seem to be the first thing anyone mentions when they talk about this match up(especially now that Ares can't duck MB Staff Spin anymore) which is probably why Chongo specifically asked for info other than Godsmack
I was under the impression NW can't jump godsmack in staff stance, isn't it very difficult?

4x4lo8o

Noob
Yeah. I wanted to stay but Krayzie was rushing me to take off. That's why I didn't even say bye to everyone. He was feeling sick the whole time and just wanted to leave. He was thinking of not even entering the tourney too...

I definitely don't really use trait kancels from range. I actually don't really zone with Ares.. lol. The fact that he loses up klose and far makes it really bad.

I think it's great that you know how to zone and be lame. I didn't start doing as well with Arrow until I learned that. That said, I think Ares and Arrow are similar in some ways since they both shouldn't just be rushing down or zoning konstantly. They have to switch it up and when they do get in, they have to kondition people based on their poking game.

As for some of the offense. I think you should try using the advantage of your 22 more. I saw you 22~D4 a lot and while it's good for you that Theo wasn't interrupting it (at least at first, didn't see the rest of your matches) you lose out on pressure. Even D1~Teleport kan work as a follow up if they aren't kounterpoking fast enough. And if they are kounterpoking immediately then you already know the answer to that. B1 into D1 also works. Against most of the kast, at worst you get a trade (since you're minus 1 and you have a 6 frame D1). If they kounter poke, B1 MB tele behind into 22 will punish them. If B1 konnects or they kounter poke the D1, you kan hit konfirm into a kombo.

I had soo many things in my head for Ares pressure. It just sucks that he gets beat by some characters badly. I also only got to play against two characters so far with him: Martian (Krayzie and Bad Larry) and your Cyborg, so my experience with him is limited.
I was actually thinking the same thing about Arrow and Ares. They're both characters that sort of have rushdown and zoning and counter zoning tools, but don't really excel at any of them. It leaves a lot of freedom for different playstyles, but also sometimes means they really have to play to the match up.

TDC is so good in the match ups where you can get away with it. It builds meter(you need that meter), helps control space, and is a mind game. If you're trying to zone with Ares and you're not making use of the ability to hold and cancel trait you're missing a huge tool.

That set I played with Theo was kind of weird. I was shaking off the drive and the pre-tourney jitters and it was clear that neither of us were as familiar with match up as we wanted. Early on he was getting hit by everything I did, then it sort of flipped and I was getting hit by everything while I was trying to get familiar with spacing and trying stuff out and we were talking about the match up as we played and between matches. The tournament set we played went pretty different(although I kinda choked).
Basically what I do with 22 though is check them with d1 a bunch of times until I'm sure that they're gonna block it(or establish that they're just not going to block it and they're when you go for d1~d4) and then I start using 22~d4. The reason it wasn't getting interrupted was because he was respecting the d1 frame trap. When you do 22~d4 it'll catch them if they try to back dash or jump a d1 follow or because the delay was just long enough that they realized the d1 wasn't coming so they stood up or pressed buttons but missed the window to interrupt. If they block the d4 you get frame advantage, space(although depending on match up that can be bad), and does decent chip.
Establishing the 22~d4 opens a lot more mind games. It encourages them to poke, which means they'll get hit by d1 checks more often(d1 is your only option that's always safe, but it also ends your pressure on block so you want to be able to hit them with that sometimes). Also, using d1 and d4 after 22 a lot trains them to think that just crouching low is a safe way out if they just want to block their way out of pressure(lots of people catch on fairly quickly that just waiting to block a d1 or trait can be an effective and safe way out of Ares pressure) and while they're thinking mostly about the 22, d1 and 22~d4 guessing game is when I like to sprinkle in the overheads. I also think you should be able to train them that by the time they see the low sword on 22~d4 that it's already too late to do anything but block and then you should be able to try stuff like trait dash canceling(either forward into something like throw or d1 or backwards to create space or zone) and switching to OH sword but I haven't messed around with that a lot yet.

You have to adjust a lot to play style of your opponent. A lot of the time you can sort of break your opponents down into either "likes to block" or "likes to press buttons" and you can figure that out fairly early into the match. If they don't like to block all you really need is 22 and d1 because the d1 will hit them a lot and once it stops you can occasionally use 22 again after 22 and that'll be enough to make them antsy and start getting hit by d1 some more. Against players that like to block you need to do more to open them up, and a lot of the time stuff that's technically risky or punishable like 22~d4 becomes relatively safe because you know they'd rather block.

I really don't like the idea of d1~teleport. On hit you're giving up a combo or pressure and on block you're giving them two chance to punish(either because they had decided to counter poke the d1 and end up stuffing teleport or because they were just sitting there and punish the teleport on the other side). I use b1 into d1 a lot. If you watch my first tournament match with Theo, I know I hit him with it there.

b1~teleport is something that I think is a good idea. It was something I messed with a while back after the patch and forgot about just because I was focusing on other stuff but you actually used it against me and I immediately made a mental note to work it into my game. Early today I was actually practicing that and other block strings into teleport so I can get that into muscle memory and start figuring out the best ways to use it in real matches.

B1 pressure has potential to get pretty advanced, I think. Like you said, after a blocked b1 they can't stuff a teleport with a counter poke. If they do try to counter poke and you teleport you can punish if you mb'd and if you didn't mb the teleport you're safe and usually they're disoriented enough that you get to start pressure. B1 into far teleports is also something that's fairly safe in most match ups. Basically after b1 they have to guess whether you're going to d1, cancel into low sword, cancel into teleport behind, teleport behind mb, teleport away, or teleport far behind, cancel into invis(technically not safe, but safe if they see it and think its a tele and wait to punish), cancel into godsmack, or go into some other bullshit like 22 or jump or something.

I agree that Ares pressure is really awesome and sometimes I feel like I come up with a bunch of really sick ideas, but then in practice he has so many match ups where he just can't ever get it started. I sympathize with your MMH experience. I play with Bad Larry more than anyone else, and you can't use any of Ares cool tools against him. There's so much stuff I think about but then never get to practice because I don't get enough match up experience against the characters that it could work against. It almost makes me want to start playing online. Almost.

I was under the impression NW can't jump godsmack in staff stance, isn't it very difficult?
I don't know if I would say it's very difficult, but it is harder for him. Most characters can just hold up as soon as they see Godsmack, NW has to time it. If he jumps too early he'll land and get hit and he may have a slow up start up that makes reacting to it harder(Lex has a similar problem) but as far as I know he can jump out in any situation where other characters can. We used to have a local NW player who would jump out consistently when I played him(he'd usually get hit by about 1 stray Godsmack in a long set and his reactions always made it clear that he considered it an execution error not a match up problem). Although I'd believe that online it's very difficult and it may be hard enough that it's not worth trying in a tournament if you don't have regular Ares experience.

Red Reaper

The Hyrax Whisperer
I was actually thinking the same thing about Arrow and Ares. They're both characters that sort of have rushdown and zoning and counter zoning tools, but don't really excel at any of them. It leaves a lot of freedom for different playstyles, but also sometimes means they really have to play to the match up.

TDC is so good in the match ups where you can get away with it. It builds meter(you need that meter), helps control space, and is a mind game. If you're trying to zone with Ares and you're not making use of the ability to hold and cancel trait you're missing a huge tool.

That set I played with Theo was kind of weird. I was shaking off the drive and the pre-tourney jitters and it was clear that neither of us were as familiar with match up as we wanted. Early on he was getting hit by everything I did, then it sort of flipped and I was getting hit by everything while I was trying to get familiar with spacing and trying stuff out and we were talking about the match up as we played and between matches. The tournament set we played went pretty different(although I kinda choked).
Basically what I do with 22 though is check them with d1 a bunch of times until I'm sure that they're gonna block it(or establish that they're just not going to block it and they're when you go for d1~d4) and then I start using 22~d4. The reason it wasn't getting interrupted was because he was respecting the d1 frame trap. When you do 22~d4 it'll catch them if they try to back dash or jump a d1 follow or because the delay was just long enough that they realized the d1 wasn't coming so they stood up or pressed buttons but missed the window to interrupt. If they block the d4 you get frame advantage, space(although depending on match up that can be bad), and does decent chip.
Establishing the 22~d4 opens a lot more mind games. It encourages them to poke, which means they'll get hit by d1 checks more often(d1 is your only option that's always safe, but it also ends your pressure on block so you want to be able to hit them with that sometimes). Also, using d1 and d4 after 22 a lot trains them to think that just crouching low is a safe way out if they just want to block their way out of pressure(lots of people catch on fairly quickly that just waiting to block a d1 or trait can be an effective and safe way out of Ares pressure) and while they're thinking mostly about the 22, d1 and 22~d4 guessing game is when I like to sprinkle in the overheads. I also think you should be able to train them that by the time they see the low sword on 22~d4 that it's already too late to do anything but block and then you should be able to try stuff like trait dash canceling(either forward into something like throw or d1 or backwards to create space or zone) and switching to OH sword but I haven't messed around with that a lot yet.

You have to adjust a lot to play style of your opponent. A lot of the time you can sort of break your opponents down into either "likes to block" or "likes to press buttons" and you can figure that out fairly early into the match. If they don't like to block all you really need is 22 and d1 because the d1 will hit them a lot and once it stops you can occasionally use 22 again after 22 and that'll be enough to make them antsy and start getting hit by d1 some more. Against players that like to block you need to do more to open them up, and a lot of the time stuff that's technically risky or punishable like 22~d4 becomes relatively safe because you know they'd rather block.

I really don't like the idea of d1~teleport. On hit you're giving up a combo or pressure and on block you're giving them two chance to punish(either because they had decided to counter poke the d1 and end up stuffing teleport or because they were just sitting there and punish the teleport on the other side). I use b1 into d1 a lot. If you watch my first tournament match with Theo, I know I hit him with it there.

b1~teleport is something that I think is a good idea. It was something I messed with a while back after the patch and forgot about just because I was focusing on other stuff but you actually used it against me and I immediately made a mental note to work it into my game. Early today I was actually practicing that and other block strings into teleport so I can get that into muscle memory and start figuring out the best ways to use it in real matches.

B1 pressure has potential to get pretty advanced, I think. Like you said, after a blocked b1 they can't stuff a teleport with a counter poke. If they do try to counter poke and you teleport you can punish if you mb'd and if you didn't mb the teleport you're safe and usually they're disoriented enough that you get to start pressure. B1 into far teleports is also something that's fairly safe in most match ups. Basically after b1 they have to guess whether you're going to d1, cancel into low sword, cancel into teleport behind, teleport behind mb, teleport away, or teleport far behind, cancel into invis(technically not safe, but safe if they see it and think its a tele and wait to punish), cancel into godsmack, or go into some other bullshit like 22 or jump or something.

I agree that Ares pressure is really awesome and sometimes I feel like I come up with a bunch of really sick ideas, but then in practice he has so many match ups where he just can't ever get it started. I sympathize with your MMH experience. I play with Bad Larry more than anyone else, and you can't use any of Ares cool tools against him. There's so much stuff I think about but then never get to practice because I don't get enough match up experience against the characters that it could work against. It almost makes me want to start playing online. Almost.
I thought they would be able to react to the sword koming out and then poke.. I tend to let them backdash at first then once they start getting kareless with it I go for the anti-backdash stuff. In my opinion, you lose less if they backdash and you did a D1 than if they didn't back dash and you used up your sword. I think that sword is so valuable for kombos. You kan always chase a backdash or B1 into range, you kan't bring back the sword quickly.

I also prefer for them not to poke as it opens up your overhead, and standing 3 50/50's.. So I wouldn't want to encourage it...

D1~Teleport with MB, in theory, allows you to keep on the pressure. My theory is that since they just blocked something fast one way (6 frames) and need to adjust their defense to the other side they'll get more defensive. If they poke a lil late then they kould get 22~Sword kombo'd after the tele. I don't think this should be used that often but if they sit and wait for the tele then you kan kontinue on the pressure or go for the God Smack and katch them. Also, if they kounter-poke you out of it you don't lose the meter since you haven't started to appear on the other side yet.

I like the B1 mix ups but it's just hard to get Martian to block anything and in the Cyborg match up he's airborne a lot. One thing I was wondering about as a turtling Ares is how good B1~Trait Kancel into Backdash kan be. You kan get the hit, build, meter and run away. And on block kounter-pokes will fail. Obviously abusing it kan result in punishment.

I really don't like online and only play when someone asks me but Ares is actually one of my better online characters.. lol. Since online is mostly about reads and it's harder for them to react to Ares set ups.... I also don't need to do higher execution stuff like RMS kancels or Arrow's no ice arrow kombos.

The way I practice a lot of my theories like trait kancelling in pressure is by recording Ares doing it then seeing how hard it is to react to.

PS: One thing I was messing with is 3D2~Far Behind Tele. On hit you kan MB it and follow up with B13 on reaction. On block you're far enough to where they most likely won't get you. If they start reading it, you kan 3D2~MB Behind Tele into 22 and you're plus so it's uninterruptable and they kould get kaught dashing toward you or attacking.

Mr Aquaman

Protector of the Realms
Lead Moderator
How difficult is the Zod/Aquaman/Wowo matchup against the goat of war?
I will argue all day the WW match up is even. I've never struggled against that character and Ive ran long sets with a few players. I did like a ft5 with foxy once but I was amazed when I held up ares would jump 10 minutes later. She struggles getting out of the big gimmicky resets that kill. Takes great blocking in the MU. ww's b2 hurts and once cornered its blahblahlbah every MU is that way.

Zod I have super mixed feelings about, 4-6, might be worse but i think it needs more delving in to. MB tele is a great counter shenanigan to wraith. a blocked grab he can mb tele after for at least a check or throw attempt to make the trait dissapear. Zoning is actually in zods favor, the speed of the gun hurts. Zod balls are pretty easy to deal with duck dash. If you see him do a high one its generally going to me a MB and you have time to MB tele, get a d2 combo punish, its hard to jump in that situation because the zod balls autocorrect mid shoot haha. Zod punishes teleport hard, He makes everything safe. The mixups with trait are retarded. Lasers are plus as shit. I play this alot with Snuggly Bear (Gol Rashaan) m2dave awhile back, and relaxedstate.

Aquaman - the big one - 4-6 I could write about this MU for days, exp in the MU is i run this ALLLLL day every day with the brady. In summation aquaman wins if the aquaman player has flawless execution and godlike reactions. Most ares players shouldnt struggle too bad in this mu with randoms and good players. But at the highest level aquaman has an answer to all of ares options. But it takes alot of skill and reaction to pull it off.

4x4lo8o

Noob
How difficult is the Zod/Aquaman/Wowo matchup against the goat of war?
I don't think Zod is that bad. Probably in Zod's favor, but as far as Ares match ups go it's pretty winnable. Maybe a soft 4-6

Aquaman I'm on the fence about. It's definitely in AM's favor, but I don't know how bad. At range he can throw out a bunch of FtD's with few consequences so Ares basically has to work his way in on foot and try to play footsies and you can probably guess how that goes. Theo told me he thinks Ares with a lifelead can be scary for Aquaman, but even then I think Aquaman has a lot to work with and getting that life lead in the first place isn't easy at all. Theo's number was 6-4 in Aquaman's favor. I think it could be worse, but don't have any issue with saying it's 6-4

WW can go either way. If the WW player doesn't have much Ares experience(which luckily is something Ares players can usually count on) Ares zoning can cause her problems. On the other hand if she can jump over Axe consistently, isn't accidentally crouching MB Fireball, and can punish far teleport well on a read then this is another pretty hard match up for Ares. She has all the tools she needs to get in on Ares with multiple way to get around each of his zoning tools, he doesn't have good answers to her air mobility once she gets close enough to start jumping in, and she has one of those floaty hitboxes that cuts the range on Ares d1 and lots of moves that make it whiff unexpectedly(for example if Ares blocks a max range b1 and reads that she'll got for the 50/50 instead of d12 and uses d1 to poke out, she'll go over it if she uses b2).

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
To me, as someone just comparing tools, it seems like MB tele is a ridiculous advantage for Ares vs Zod. Any guaranteed trait can be MB teled to waste 2-3 secs, Zod balls can be TPd on reaction too. Ares seems to be superior to Zod in footsies due to 12f B1 against 15f phantom strike/13f F2.

Ares is a very interesting character. I need to look up some combos and setups and definitely play him as a second/tertiary with black adam.

4x4lo8o

Noob
Zod balls can be TPd on reaction too
That part's not really that easy. If he's just throwing out Zodballs full screen, then yeah. But at closer distances it's pretty difficult to teleport a fast Zodball on reaction(if he's using them conservatively and intelligently it basically has to be half read/half reaction kind of thing) and if he throws out a slower Zodball it can be easy to miss your opportunity and react by the time the ball is out and you can see what speed it is.
For the most part though Zodballs really aren't the problem in the match up, mostly because of teleport.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
That part's not really that easy. If he's just throwing out Zodballs full screen, then yeah. But at closer distances it's pretty difficult to teleport a fast Zodball on reaction(if he's using them conservatively and intelligently it basically has to be half read/half reaction kind of thing) and if he throws out a slower Zodball it can be easy to miss your opportunity and react by the time the ball is out and you can see what speed it is.
For the most part though Zodballs really aren't the problem in the match up, mostly because of teleport.
If I can do a 16f gunshot on reaction to a zod ball up to midscreen then TP shouldn't be difficult

I'm guessing the difficult part is the dash and jump mobility.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Just to clarify, I'm not talking about reacting to the ball itself, you can easily see the rifle come out.

Mr Aquaman

Protector of the Realms
Lead Moderator
MB tele is the future of ares. Since DTN (I started after the tournament with a more teleport crazy ares with KDZ) almost every set ive played with someone the only feedback I have received is MB teleport. The amount of options it creates is...........staggering. Every time I play I seem to find something new. The last set i played with bill he called it cheap. <3 As an ares player I advocate its use and feel it should become a meta game for this character. Canceling strings, reacting, oki setups, instant 50/50, 50/50's depending on which side you choose to tele too. Hint most people switch block when they see the start up of tele, if you mb in front of them you can catch em off gaurd. hard ku mb tele 50/50. PIG mb tele string PIG tele string PIG mb tele string PIG rinse and repeat on mess hall. ENDLESS POSSIBILITIES. High meter style of play but can kill very very fast. and lbsh here, ares is broken with interactables.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
MB tele is the future of ares. Since DTN (I started after the tournament with a more teleport crazy ares with KDZ) almost every set ive played with someone the only feedback I have received is MB teleport. The amount of options it creates is...........staggering. Every time I play I seem to find something new. The last set i played with bill he called it cheap. <3 As an ares player I advocate its use and feel it should become a meta game for this character. Canceling strings, reacting, oki setups, instant 50/50, 50/50's depending on which side you choose to tele too. Hint most people switch block when they see the start up of tele, if you mb in front of them you can catch em off gaurd. hard ku mb tele 50/50. PIG mb tele string PIG tele string PIG mb tele string PIG rinse and repeat on mess hall. ENDLESS POSSIBILITIES. High meter style of play but can kill very very fast. and lbsh here, ares is broken with interactables.
It can be used on reaction to shit to punish it, on anticipation considering its safe, etc. It's cheap as fuck.

Note that ppl only need to switch sides if you do an overhead though.

ryublaze

Noob
yea I like MB tele to use interactables and punish opponent's who try to use them. but if used at wrong times or using it carelessly can be a waste of meter.

4x4lo8o

Noob
Maaan everyone I play always catches me when I MB tele, then I'm forced to block.
Same here. It seems like if they're punish teleport you end up blocking pressure if you mb(which is better than getting punished, but unless you really just want in it seems like it's better to just not teleport in that scenario) and if they're not punishing teleport you can often get away with pressure or mix ups without mb'ing it. Outside of specific scenarios like where you're punishing something or making a certain read or some kind of set up I feel like it's best use pretty sparingly.
I also don't really understand why people mb far tele unless they're getting out of the corner or really trying to turtle at the end of the match. Sometimes I'll mb it if I expect them to try to blow it up with a jump and I can d2 them, but mostly it seems like a poor use of meter when I try it

InFlames

dead
Same here. It seems like if they're punish teleport you end up blocking pressure if you mb(which is better than getting punished, but unless you really just want in it seems like it's better to just not teleport in that scenario) and if they're not punishing teleport you can often get away with pressure or mix ups without mb'ing it. Outside of specific scenarios like where you're punishing something or making a certain read or some kind of set up I feel like it's best use pretty sparingly.
I also don't really understand why people mb far tele unless they're getting out of the corner or really trying to turtle at the end of the match. Sometimes I'll mb it if I expect them to try to blow it up with a jump and I can d2 them, but mostly it seems like a poor use of meter when I try it
I use MB far tele on wake up sometimes just to be safe. Ares getting crossed up can really mess up the inputs to his wake ups, you input db3 and then they cross you up before you hit forward and you get in front tele instead.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Mr Aquaman uses the tele in a way that I def can't punish it and rarely ever force him to block a D1. That teleport used smartly has ridiculous potential and it is a move that defines Ares. When people think of Ares they will think of one of the best antizoners in the game.

4x4lo8o

Noob
I will argue all day the WW match up is even. I've never struggled against that character and Ive ran long sets with a few players. I did like a ft5 with foxy once but I was amazed when I held up ares would jump 10 minutes later. She struggles getting out of the big gimmicky resets that kill. Takes great blocking in the MU. ww's b2 hurts and once cornered its blahblahlbah every MU is that way.

Zod I have super mixed feelings about, 4-6, might be worse but i think it needs more delving in to. MB tele is a great counter shenanigan to wraith. a blocked grab he can mb tele after for at least a check or throw attempt to make the trait dissapear. Zoning is actually in zods favor, the speed of the gun hurts. Zod balls are pretty easy to deal with duck dash. If you see him do a high one its generally going to me a MB and you have time to MB tele, get a d2 combo punish, its hard to jump in that situation because the zod balls autocorrect mid shoot haha. Zod punishes teleport hard, He makes everything safe. The mixups with trait are retarded. Lasers are plus as shit. I play this alot with Snuggly Bear (Gol Rashaan) m2dave awhile back, and relaxedstate.

Aquaman - the big one - 4-6 I could write about this MU for days, exp in the MU is i run this ALLLLL day every day with the brady. In summation aquaman wins if the aquaman player has flawless execution and godlike reactions. Most ares players shouldnt struggle too bad in this mu with randoms and good players. But at the highest level aquaman has an answer to all of ares options. But it takes alot of skill and reaction to pull it off.
I didn't see this before I posted my thoughts on these. I'm kind of upset that we basically agreed on match ups

I use MB far tele on wake up sometimes just to be safe. Ares getting crossed up can really mess up the inputs to his wake ups, you input db3 and then they cross you up before you hit forward and you get in front tele instead.
Isn't there an option select that always gets you the right teleport. Like.... now that I think about it I can't make any sense of it. I'd swear that there's something I'm doing with my fingers that gets me out of cross ups on wake up pretty much every time, but maybe I just think I'm doing an option select kind of thing and I'm actually only getting out when I read/react right to the cross up. I'll have to mess with it later.

Anyway, on wake up I think it makes sense. Spending a bar to get up is generally worth it and there's a lot more chance of getting caught in a set up or the opponent punishing the teleport in a knock down situation. I thinking about more in the midscreen neutral game

Mr Aquaman uses the tele in a way that I def can't punish it and rarely ever force him to block a D1. That teleport used smartly has ridiculous potential and it is a move that defines Ares. When people think of Ares they will think of one of the best antizoners in the game.
In a game with MMH, Deathstroke, and Batgirl I feel like that's pretty unlikely

Mr Aquaman

Protector of the Realms
Lead Moderator
its sad Foxy is banned so he cannot hear this but as stubborn as I am and as much as we butt heads since the MK rain days I am convinced Ares WW is 4-6. 2 reasons, no ability to counterpoke, and if she chooses, can stop his wu game entirely. But ares damage and resets and armor on wu keep him alive, he can take her health bar instantly in the corner and if there are intereactables in play just as fast midscreen. All about the reads. Best one I had was a close GS's an air dash in ftw, i want that known! But great shit to him and he has me convinced

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
its sad Foxy is banned so he cannot hear this but as stubborn as I am and as much as we butt heads since the MK rain days I am convinced Ares WW is 4-6. 2 reasons, no ability to counterpoke, and if she chooses, can stop his wu game entirely. But ares damage and resets and armor on wu keep him alive, he can take her health bar instantly in the corner and if there are intereactables in play just as fast midscreen. All about the reads. Best one I had was a close GS's an air dash in ftw, i want that known! But great shit to him and he has me convinced
He knows of this post.

He always knows.

xInfra Deadx

Gimmick stolen by Jordan Peele
How'd he get banned in the first place?