What's new

General/Other Are Smoke players the biggest downplayers in the community?

Are Smoke players the biggest downplayers in the community?

• Total voters

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
Well thats news to me thanks for letting me no it seems kind of obvious now that i think about that it doesn't jail. I alway thought i had to take a blockstring after the late 3.
I think it does when you are blocking or holding a direction while crouching?

LaR

Noob
i just tested it with the A.I after the late 3 hits you can go into crouch and poke them if they follow up the late 3 with a string.

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
I agree, a knockdown is always better than being stuck in his pressure xD However, me personally, i'd rather save the meter for breaker or a reset. Smoke doesn't run from Jax too well either so the knockback isn't as big as it would be vs. someone like say Johnny Cage.

STRYKIE

Why not? It provides an additional level of pressure. It's the same reason Kabal players factor in hitboxes to MU numbers. F41 being safe >>>> F41 being blown up by full combo. How does that not effect the match up to an extent? Smoke's whole problem is getting raped by pressure due to his lack of armor and big hitbox, this further puts the nail in the coffin. Jax already has solid pressure (If you want to call if that, its more of a continuous footsie game) and he now doesn't even have to worry about F41 whiffing. Same way Kabal players like being able to use all their tools vs. a big hitbox.

You're basically saying me being able to 70% punish his F41 on my crouch block is irrelevant. If Smoke could do that the MU would he a lot different.
No sir. But you seem to be under the impression that F41 is supposed to whiff on crouch block? I mean yeah, F413 is a pretty badly designed string in the first place but it still hits Scorpion who has a pretty average sized hitbox and nothing else hits him that shouldn't. There's only a handful of characters who's crouch blocking hitbox is so big to the point where everything will hit them in crouch block (Raiden, Kenshi, Sheeva, Noob Saibot, Freddy etc.) and LBSH, F413 is hitting way more characters than that. I understand why it's a problem for Smoke because he doesn't seem to have an answer for it, nor abuse the holes in his other pressure tools, but to say it's bad just because "F413 hits" is weak, it's a core asset to his footsies and you should be fully expected to make a good read work for a way out.

Maybe this is a better example:
"I lose to Cage because I don't have a Spirit Charge"
"I lose to Kenshi because I don't have an instant tele3"
"I lose to Jax because I don't have a low hitbox to make his F41 whiff"

Now do you see what I'm getting at?

xSMoKEx

Coward Character User
No sir. But you seem to be under the impression that F41 is supposed to whiff on crouch block? I mean yeah, F413 is a pretty badly designed string in the first place but it still hits Scorpion who has a pretty average sized hitbox and nothing else hits him that shouldn't. There's only a handful of characters who's crouch blocking hitbox is so big to the point where everything will hit them in crouch block (Raiden, Kenshi, Sheeva, Noob Saibot, Freddy etc.) and LBSH, F413 is hitting way more characters than that. I understand why it's a problem for Smoke because he doesn't seem to have an answer for it, nor abuse the holes in his other pressure tools, but to say it's bad just because "F413 hits" is weak, it's a core asset to his footsies and you should be fully expected to make a good read work for a way out.

Maybe this is a better example:
"I lose to Cage because I don't have a Spirit Charge"
"I lose to Kenshi because I don't have an instant tele3"
"I lose to Jax because I don't have a low hitbox to make his F41 whiff"

Now do you see what I'm getting at?
That isn't the core point to why the MU is bad though, that was just the icing on the cake. Jax is problem because his fast normals, similarly to Lao make it hard to presure him and play footsies at times. I neglected to mention that before, however i did mention that it's hard to keep Jax away because of dash speed, and superman punch, as well as various other things; Smoke running will either result in u getting pressured or resetted in the corner... pairing this up with a more annoying than usual string is bad news for Smoke.

To be more clear, being unable to poke out of F413 isn't the only thing makes the MU bad it's just part of what makes the mu bad.

It's random if it's blocked and its a good read if it hits, either way i just call it random.
he follows up with either a spin or blockstring because it is a guessing game. All of kunglao's main strings get beat by pokes, and for kung lao to counter that he has to spin to blow up the poke, its not random at all, its a guessing game just like a low or an overhead. once they respect your string you can do your blockstring after tele3

Btw I wont ever do those ''random'' spins unless you poke me all day, I will pressure you all day unless you poke and thats when I will spin.

LaR

Noob
he follows up with either a spin or blockstring because it is a guessing game. All of kunglao's main strings get beat by pokes, and for kung lao to counter that he has to spin to blow up the poke, its not random at all, its a guessing game just like a low or an overhead. once they respect your string you can do your blockstring after tele3

Btw I wont ever do those ''random'' spins unless you poke me all day, I will pressure you all day unless you poke and thats when I will spin.
That's what i was saying you have force him to do a random spin or as you call it make a good read by poking the shit out of him . That guessing game is heavily in Smoke's favor. Of course you are not going to random spin if they never poke out of his pressure and if they are not poking out they are just making the match to easy for kl.

Clayman

you don't get it, do you?
OMG wtf is this thread?
Smoke is bottom 5, he needs his resets, all smoke players r working really hard to win, stop blaming them if u r just bad.

PerfectMindGame it turns out the late 3 jails the 21 string if blocked standing but not the 12 string just tested this today.
how did you test it? Lets say if sektor blocks your late tele3 cant he d3/d1 uppercut you out of 21? Also this is almost irrelevant because you will get hit long before you can land a late tele3 on block, they will either hit you or you land a combo on them.

Btw I really don't think it will jail, so just asking, what do you think'' jails'' means.

Can Smoke en-SmokeAway/Towards out of frametraps and strings with gaps?
No. 6f startup before invincibility. It's absolutely useless unless you want to try to get out of cage f3 pressure but with that meter you might as well just EX shake him :\

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Can Smoke en-SmokeAway/Towards out of frametraps and strings with gaps?
They have to be 6f gaps, I believe.

FrothyOmen EX cloud sounds like a supremely godlike option to escape pressure tbh. Complete invincibility after 6 frames is nothing to laugh at. Nah, no damage, but a number of characters wish they could do that. No character has an attacking normal/special that is faster than 6 frames, and that includes the jump frames on divekicks.

They have to be 6f gaps, I believe.

FrothyOmen EX cloud sounds like a supremely godlike option to escape pressure tbh. Complete invincibility after 6 frames is nothing to laugh at. Nah, no damage, but a number of characters wish they could do that.
Yeah, but i'm only 1f away from getting meter drained by a JC d3.... trust me it happens a lot. When it works you get out easy, yeah, but when it doesn't work you've basically thrown away the whole round because now you've taken a meter hit while cage is building meter and chipping you away T_T

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
m2dave

As a Smoke player i cant say im much of a downplayer. He has the right tools for what he needs to do, his playstyle is very risk/reward orientated as he plays a tight meter game and has little options other than to throw out his less than perfect normals and specials to get you into the combo of death. He doesn't rely on his pressure, speed, frametraps, projectiles, spacing, armour or manoeuvrability. He relies on getting his opponent in a situation where they are unable to break your combo, and you have enough meter to kill them.

I dont need to tell you that Freddy fights an uphill battle in this matchup, but disregarding the fact you can stop people throwing projectiles at you hes quite bland and one dimensional really....His downfall is his defense through normals and lack of armour, thats not downplaying thats just how it is. He is capable of winning a good few top tier matchups due to the fact kabal/jax/sonya/kenshi/KL like to spend meter, meaning they die alot faster, but they have an overall easier time against smoke because he cant keep them out, and has a hard time getting out once they are in.

Someone like Cage or Kabal can play a tight meter game and have decent enough ability to build meter that they can get reckless, this is where smoke loses.

People need to stop fucking about and just 100% everyone already.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Very true. I forgot about meter drain glitch.

LMAO meter drain fucks with this game too much.

LaR

Noob
how did you test it? Lets say if sektor blocks your late tele3 cant he d3/d1 uppercut you out of 21? Also this is almost irrelevant because you will get hit long before you can land a late tele3 on block, they will either hit you or you land a combo on them.

Btw I really don't think it will jail, so just asking, what do you think'' jails'' means.
Why you have to be so defensive it seems you would rather be right then be told something else that may help you . I tested it offline with a friend and after the late 3 hits a standing opponent 21 jails them meaning they can't even go into the crouch animation after the late 3.

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
Yeah, but i'm only 1f away from getting meter drained by a JC d3.... trust me it happens a lot. When it works you get out easy, yeah, but when it doesn't work you've basically thrown away the whole round because now you've taken a meter hit while cage is building meter and chipping you away T_T
It happens ALL THE TIME

Why you have to be so defensive it seems you would rather be right then be told something else that may help you . I tested it offline with a friend and after the late 3 hits a standing opponent 21 jails them meaning they can't even go into the crouch animation after the late 3.
Okay, listen first of all you said a few stuff that isnt true in this forum, so I and the other people in this forum have all the reason to be skeptical about this, no offense at all. But I really dont understand why it would jail at all since tele 3 is neutral and doing a late 3 would maybe win you a few frames at max, We asked somberness about this and he didnt say it would jail at all.