What's new

[Apr 13, 2012] PowerUp 2012 - EVO 2012 Tournament Season (Cincinnati, Ohio)

Osirun

www.powerupfighters.org

The third annual PowerUp tournament is here! We promise improvements over last year's experience and even more good times. Save up your travel money and those sick days because from April 13 - 15 you should be no where else but at Arcade Legacy for PU2012.

---------------------------------------------------------------

The Cincinnati Mall - 600 Cincinnati Mills Drive, Cincinnati, Ohio 45240
513-874-8766
[email protected]

DATE
April 13 - 15

REGISTRATION
Online Pre-Registration is live! It will end at 12:00am, April 9, 2012.

Pre-registration ensures that you are seeded away from others in your city, and that you do not have overlapping pools.*

For the most up to date PU2012 news please go to the PowerUp Facebook and Twitter pages.

Event Badge
$30 – PowerUp Online Store / By Phone (Call Arcade Legacy, ask for Jesse)
$40 – In-Person Emergency Registration

Spectator Badge
$15 – Online / In-Person / By Phone

To view the most up to date registration listing, please go to the PU2012 Online Registration Listings page when online registration becomes available.

*Entering 5 or more games may necessitate assignment to concurrent pools. It is the player's responsibility to check-in with bracket runners of concurrent pools so that those bracket runners can work with the player.

** In-Person Emergency Registration for tournaments concludes as laid out in the PU2012 Event Schedule and is on a first-come, first-serve basis. After online pre-registration has ended pools will be created for every game and we will leave space for additional players. Once all spots are filled in a game's brackets we will no longer accept in-person registration for that game. Also, by utilizing emergency in-person registration you forfeit the courtesy of being seeded according to region and out of concurrent pools.

Spectators may not enter any main tournament at PU2012.

Event venue fees are refundable up until Friday, April 13th. Individual tournament entry fees are refundable up until the start of the pool for the game in question.
EXHIBITIONS

#1: The King - Friday @ 7pm
Concept
A 5v5 where each team member is locked to only one character from the KOFXIII roster. No duplicates allowed on a team.

The goal is to win five FT3 matches, but the catch is that each game within the FT3 is a fresh 1v1. This is similar to regular 3v3 KOFXIII, but instead of one player controlling the entire team, the entire team is controlled by three individual team members.

Rules
  • Each 1v1 game is Best 2/3 rounds.
  • Each player sets his character to Handicap +1. This helps anchor-type characters remain viable by providing some initial meter.
  • Teams blind pick a player order from their 5 members. The first 3 team members in each order play the initial FT3. After the initial FT3, any player who lost a match is shuffled out to let the next ordered team member join the FT3, starting from the anchor position and moving upward.
  • After each 1v1, next upcoming players are to restart the previous game and do button checks and controller swap if necessary. Then begin the next game by returning to character select
  • Team PowerUp uses PowerUp custom colors. Team Dream Cancel uses Dream Cancel custom colors.
For an explanation of the turn order structure, follow this hypothetical example:

FT3 #1

A / B / C
vs
1 / 2 / 3

A (win) vs 1 (lose)
A (lose) vs 2 (win)
B (lose) vs 2 (win)
C (win) vs 2 (lose)
C (lose) vs 3 (win)

Team Numbers Wins

FT3 #2

D / E / A
vs
3 / 4 / 5

D (lose) vs 3 (win)
E (win) vs 3 (lose)
E (win) vs 4 (lose)
E (win) vs 5 (lose)

Team Alphabet Wins

FT3 #3

E / A / B
vs
1 / 2 / 3

And so on, depending on which players lose in each FT3.

#2: Mortal Kombat: Survival - Friday @ 9pm
For now, MK:Survival is being planned with 2 teams in mind.

Each team has 5 players. Each player selects 4 different characters from the roster to play.

Goal: Eliminate the other team's characters.

The crowd selects which 2 players will play each Best 2/3 match.

The players who are playing will blind pick from their selected roster of characters to start the Best 2/3 match.

Rules:
- Each team is only allowed up to 3 duplicates of a single character.
- The loser of a game may switch to another one of his selected roster of characters to continue the Best 2/3.
- The character that lost the final round of a Best 2/3 match is eliminated from the losing player's selection of 4, leaving him with only 3 characters to select, and so on until that player is eliminated completely.
- The crowd cannot select a player who lost to play again (unless he is the final surviving team member).
- The crowd cannot select a player who won to play again more than twice in a row (unless he is the final surviving team member).

#3: Vampire Savior 8-vs-8 Team Exhibition - Friday @ 11pm
- 8on8 Team Tournament.

- The full roster will be covered as the best representation for each character will battle each other! The cast will be split right down the tier list. Each team will have (2)S tiers, (2)A tiers etc.

- (2) Team captains will call matches and counter-pick their opponents.

- Proceeding a 3-win streak, the player is forced back into reserve.

- The winning team is decided by total number of kills.

Sign-ups are always open to serious players. Please e-mail [[email protected]] w/ a few words and we can discuss your opportunity to be involved, confirmed players and which teams are established.

Looking forward to PU2012, gonna be too exciting!

Kyle-

GAMES
SSFIV:AE ver. 2012 - $20 - Xbox 360
UMvC3 - $20 - Xbox 360
MK9 - $10 - PS3
SFxT - $10 - Xbox 360
SCV - $10 - PS3
T6 - $20 - PS3
KOFXIII - $10 - PS3
VS - $10 - Cabinet
ST - $20 - Cabinet

SPECIAL FEATURES

Arcade Legacy will be fully open to the public during PowerUp 2012 weekend, and better yet if you have a PowerUp 2012 Player or Spectator Lanyard, you will get in to the arcade for free the entire weekend!

PowerUp 2012 is proud to be a part of the EVO 2012 Tournament Season and provide official EVO seeding points to top finishers in: SSFIV, UMvC3, MK9, SFxT, SCV and KOFXIII.

Focus Fire has been developing a fine reputation with the fighting game community, and PU2012 aims only to further that goal while providing the absolute best equipment we can for our attendees.

Team Spooky is back to stream PowerUp 2012. Look forward to nothing less than top quality stream production and the classic Spooky vibe.

We haven't forgotten about GGAC, BBCS, MBCC, and AH3! What we're doing is having community run tournaments for these games on Friday and Sunday so that they can make use of our ample casuals space during non-pool play. King of Anime is being organized by Pope Temmy. The King of Anime schedule is embedded in the bottom portion of the PU2012 Schedule. Registration will be on-site only and requires only a Spectator Pass.

Boss Fight TV, straight out of Cincinnati, OH, is dedicated to covering all eSports events, and we are more than happy to welcome them aboard to be the PU2012 official on-site media partner.

Based in Indianapolis, IN, Modjunkiez provides custom controller and console cases primarily for the Xbox 360. Many other types of modding equipment are also available. PS3 goods are slowly growing in their inventory. Look forward to browsing their wares Saturday, April 14th.

PowerUp 2012 is proud to be a qualifying event for the SSF2T Tournament of Legends, part of the ST Revival from Kuroppi.com. 1st Place in our ST tournament will receive a slot in the 32-man Tournament of Legends bracket at Evolution 2012.

Gummowned will be in the house offering up his supreme modding services.

Ever wanted to get your hands on a Link? Phreakazoid will be selling this awesome product during the event.

PAYOUT
We are changing things up a bit with our payout scale. Big thanks to Keits for the work he did on the UFGT7 payout scale because it is the basis for the PU2012 scale.

Click Here to view the Payout Scale

And for those coming in 1st Place, never fear! The PowerUp Bonus Structure is here!
At the 50-entrant level we'll begin taking $2 out of each tournament entrant's venue fee and putting it toward bonus money for 1st Place in that specific tournament. At and above 50, multiply the total entrants by 2 to get the bonus amount.

SCHEDULE
The following schedule is subject to updates once our Exhibitions are finalized. This is only one of the improvements being made at PU2012; big thanks to Keits for his excellent scheduling example from UFGT7.

I encourage all PU2012 participants to print a copy of the schedule for their use at the event. A compressed version of the schedule will be printed on the back of all registrant nametags.

PU2012 Event Schedule

POOL ASSIGNMENTS
Click here to view the PU2012 Master Pool Assignments document once it is completed after Monday, April 9th, 2012.

Don't forget that when you register online for PU2012 you will also receive an email with a personalized pool schedule that you should print and bring with you to the event. The personalized pool schedules will be sent to all online registrants after online registration closes at 12:00am, Monday April 9th, 2012.

QUALIFICATION SYSTEM
Once again we're making improvements to PU2012 with an organized qualification system.
As you can see in our PU2012 Event Schedule, SSFIV:AE, SFxT and UMvC3 have 8 pools scheduled a piece. Top 4 in Winners and Top 4 in Losers for each pool will advance to a 64-Man Semifinals Bracket. From that Semifinals Bracket, Top 4 in Winners and Top 4 in Losers will play in Top 8 for Sunday Finals and Top 16 for Road to EVO 2012 points will be determined. Each qualifying player is designated an unmovable spot on the semifinals bracket based upon where on their pool bracket they qualified.

Visually, this looks like:

64-Man Pool with Top 8 highlighted/numbered

64-Man Semifinals Bracket with Pool Qualifiers, Top 8, and EVO Seeds highlighted/numbered

MK9, SCV, and SG have 4 pools scheduled a piece. Top 4 in Winners and Top 4 in Losers for each pool will advance to a 32-Man Semifinals Bracket. From that Semifinals Bracket, Top 4 in Winners and Top 4 in Losers will advance to Top 8 for Sunday Finals and Top 16 for Road to EVO 2012 points will be determined.

Visually this is identical to the above, except for the Semifinals Bracket, which looks like:

32-Man Semifinals Bracket with Pool Qualifiers, Top 8, and EVO Seeds highlighted/numbered

Lastly, T6, KOFXIII, ST and VS each have 2 pools scheduled a piece. Top 4 in Winners and Top 4 in Losers for each pool will advance to a 16-Man Semifinals Bracket. From that Semifinals Bracket (KOFXIII only), Top 4 in Winners and Top 4 in Losers will advance to Top 8 for Sunday Finals and Top 16 for Road to EVO 2012 points will be determined.

Visually, this is identical to the above, except for the Semifinals Bracket, which looks like:

16-man Semifinals Bracket with Pool Qualifiers, Top 8, and EVO Seeds highlighted/numbered
http://www.powerupfighters.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/16-Man_Bracket_Semifinals_RoadtoEvo_Update.jpg
FOOD
Click here to learn about the food options at and around PU2012.

HOTEL
Click here to learn about the PU2012 Group Rate at the Hampton Inn Cincinnati-Northwest/Fairfield.

Recommended Airports
Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International (CVG) – 40min drive to the hotel.
Dayton International (DAY) – 1hr drive to the hotel.

As of now we have no official plans to assist travelers in the drive from airport to hotel. Make some friends in the Dayton and Cincinnati communities and see if they will help you out!

STREAM
Click here to be taken to the PU2012 stream.

RULES
*Report to your pool assignment 15 minutes before its posted start time for check-in.
*If you fail to check-in we will not wait for you and you risk disqualification.
*Disqualification will not entitle you to a refund of your tournament entry fee.
*These rules also apply to semifinals and finals.

Click here for individual game rules.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Osirun

www.powerupfighters.org
Welcome to the new PowerUp 2012 thread after the TYM forum upgrade! Look forward to an announcement regarding the MK9 Exhibition at PU2012 in the coming weeks. We are going to put MK9 up on the grand stage and show off some of the Midwest's top players; it's going to be amazing!

I am also extremely excited to finally announce that PowerUp is teaming with Focus Fire to provide our equipment for this year’s event. This is the last major upgrade to PU2012 that will address those four big issues we had last year:

Problem: It’s cramped in here!
Solution: Arcade Legacy is moving to a new , larger venue.

Problem: I had to wait forever for my pools!
Solution: Pool scheduling, pool assignments, and personalized pool schedule.

Problem: I wanted more food options!
Solution: The new Arcade Legacy is in a mall, right next to the food court and the movie theater.

Problem: The setups weren’t that good and there weren’t enough!
Solution: Focus Fire!!

Focus Fire has been developing a fine reputation with the fighting game community, and PU2012 aims only to further that goal while providing the absolute best we can for our attendees.

See you all at the event!

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
seriously, all info in this thread = badass !! ;)
Seems a very well organized tourney, I hope some MK9 pros might be able to attend. :)

Well, I doubt I can but I will try my best to make it, lol. Only like 5 hours away from me, but being as I will probably have no ride so i'm kinda fucked.

But should be a fun tourney to watch anyhow!

Tim Static

Adminerator
Hmm I wonder whose coming here and whose going to flawless victory
Huge region vs region exhibiton + evo points as opposed to a well, basically winner takes all. Not to compare....but PowerUp always does one of the best fighting game tournies you could ever go too.

seems flawless victory would be better for pure MK fans... tournament fee here is at least $30 O,.O
$30 is nothing at a Major. You pay for venue and pay for games entered. $30 is as normal as it gets for a Major. And stop with the pure stuff. thats has nothing to do with it.

But to be fair to both events, lets stay on topic in both threads please. :)

Blackula

I SEE EVERYTHING!
Not quite winner take all. Pot will be split regularly. Just for the grand prize which is the EVO ticket, that only goes to first. :)

Dizzy

False Information Police Officer
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
As I posted in the other thread before it got updated or whatever, I will be going to this. I'm sure you can expect 16 bit. Most likely some guys from STL (slips, maybe ikizzle and jody) but I'm not sure on them.

Tim Static

Adminerator
Not quite winner take all. Pot will be split regularly. Just for the grand prize which is the EVO ticket, that only goes to first. :)
Well, yea, i assume that is known to all, but obviously the big secret and the huge prize is for the winner, which is amazing.

Tim Static

Adminerator
As I posted in the other thread before it got updated or whatever, I will be going to this. I'm sure you can expect 16 bit. Most likely some guys from STL (slips, maybe ikizzle and jody) but I'm not sure on them.
yea, Im sure you talked to Steve about this event, right?

Dizzy

False Information Police Officer
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
Yeah, hes said to me multiple times hes making it to this one :)

Goldi

Noob
Oh, I'm not very good. Although it is tempting to see how far I can get with Jade...

I'll have to think about it, lol. I'll totally be a cheerleader for the TYM and Gfaqs players, though! :)

Osirun

www.powerupfighters.org
I'm really glad to see the feedback building up here in the thread! It is a shame that PU2012 weekend coincides with Flawless Victory, but as Tim said if we can keep it positive in both threads then both events will be a success for MK fans and players.

The PU2012 MK9 exhibition is going to be amazing for everyone involved, and as we come to the finalization of who is attending and participating you can look forward to exhibition details in the coming weeks.

And remember that we will be running a UMK3 side tournament. Day/time for that side event is still TBD, but it will happen.

Thanks again, everyone! Let's make MK at PU2012 a great showing for the Midwest and beyond.

N0rdicNinja

Digital Pro Sports
We apologize for stepping on your toes Osirun, our venue was booked by our parent group months ago, had we realized it was PU weekend we would have reconsidered the date. Wishing you and everyone who attends PU2012 the best! We will be more aware of schedule conflicts in the future.