What's new

Anyone else hope they change the current character select screen?

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
They nailed it, knocked it out of the park with the animations when scrolling through and selecting characters but the actual screen itself isn't too good IMO.

Mainly the fact that they used the snow covered forest stage as the back drop, it doesn't really fit. It doesn't feel "Mortal Kombaty" and it's kind of boring to look at due to its muted grayish-white and dark colors.

I feel like the outworld arena, a revamped living forest, the Krypt, or even an area that's isn't and has never been stage before would have made a much more fitting backdrop.

Ideally it'd be great if it picked a random location every time, or if the player could set an MK location for their own in the options menu.

It's certainly not the worst, but these guys are so damn creative, they could find something that pops more and won't get boring to look at quickly.

Trees.

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
My guess is that the background corresponds to whatever stage you have selected. I could be wrong... but... for real. Don't know why we're criticizing arbitrary points about a game that isn't even done yet though.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
My guess is that the background corresponds to whatever stage you have selected. I could be wrong... but... for real. Don't know why we're criticizing arbitrary points about a game that isn't even done yet though.
Your guess would be wrong seeing as how you select the stage after selecting characters and it hasn't changed in any of the footage in any of the builds or trailers.

This isn't frame data or the like, a lot of games have things like title screens and character select menus finished early-middle development, and if that's the case here i'm just saying it's a little disappointing.

I said I hope they change the current for a reason, because i'm assuming this could possibly be filler but if it isn't they should fix it.

People should be able to criticize something they plan on paying for.

Last edited:

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
It's just a forest.

like, just a forest.

I like it as a stage, but as a venue for the most badass of badasses to selected, it's not as exciting as it probably should be.

Better than the flat nothing from some of the previous games, but MK and it's developers have evolved so much that we could get much better than this.

xWildx

What a day. What a lovely day.
While I doubt it (seeing as MK9's character select screen was the same until release), it could very well just be a placeholder right now. I also find it odd that they used something as generic as a shadowy forest (albeit, a very cool looking shadowy forest) as the background when they have a wealth of other creative options to use. Only time will tell, but I'll be happy either way.

I can almost guarantee that the current select screen won't stay the same....there will be multiple backdrops, depending on what randomized stage we get once getting to the character select screen, like injustice, is what I'm guessing...so just wait it out, this is just a placeholder for the unfinished product.

eNARV

Capital Punishment
Yes nrs needs to change the backdrop, the setup is fine and also plz change those lame ass boring portraits of the characters -___-