What's new

Adam Urbano talks #MKX to @stratege_ru: Shinnok is a possibility, Shao Kahn - probably not?

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
Once again our good friends over at Russian NetherRealm fansite, @MKServer have linked us to yet another interesting article. Granted, we're using Google Translate to read this article but the character name "Shinnok" is mentioned and by the sounds of it... he's likely to return - but as who? Could he end up being the final boss?

- Yesterday, the exhibition was presented fighter Quan Chi. Whether it heralds the emergence of Shinnok?

- Yes, it is possible that it will be presented. Maybe so.
When mentioning Shao Kahn, Adam Urbano sounds quite skeptical on his return when saying, " I do not know. We (????) hurt his feelings at the end of the ninth Mortal Kombat, and I'm not sure he'll be back."

In regards to Shinnok, there have been many questions surrounding Quan Chi's new skin. He know longer bears an amulet on his person, thus referring to the possibility of Shinnok returning in some fashion.

adamurbano.jpg

#MKXspeculation #Diskuss!

Original link: http://www.stratege.ru/ps4/games/mortal_kombat_x/article/46574
Credit: @MKServer

NorCalSamurai

Bacon Lettuce Tomato
Shinnok pls.

I wonder about his variations. I expected Sorcerer/Summoner to go to Shang/Shinnok respectively. Now that Quan has them, I'm perplexed. I'm assuming Shang would have a "Shapeshifter" variation, but other than that, idk.

Spinky

Neutral Skipper
I'm expecting Shinnok as the boss. Pretty sure Boon was trolling when he said it would be a "surprise" returning character.

EdFig81

Original OBS mbr/VSM/G4S
Imagine if the intro video for mkx has Shinnok killed and someone else gets the amulet and that new "person" take his place for the story. Think mkda when shang and quan killed liu kang in the intro. That was a mind fuck to many heh.
I want both Shinnok and shang to come back I could give a shit about Shao Kahan anymore unless they bring him back with a good move set that's not full of cheese like that hammer from mk9 that makes u dizzy and his over power bs. I am actually very interested to see how they make Goro as I fear a boss character being over powered. But I have faith in NRS :)

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
How are people still even wondering about this shit?

THIS HAPPENED:

Shinnok will be in one way or another.

Like, what other possible reason would Quan Chi have for being in the game if he isn't tied to Shinnok?

I do have this lingering theory though, that since MKX will be over the span of 5 - 25 years after the events of MK3 canonically, they may compress Mk4 and a few of the other 3D games into one package like they did the Mk1-3 in Mortal Kombat 9.

In fact, now that I think about it that is actually super likely unless they want to buttfuck continuity and somehow have MK4 take place over the course of 25 years somehow.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta

THIS HAPPENED:

Shinnok will be in one way or another.

Like, what other possible reason would Quan Chi have for being in the game if he isn't tied to Shinnok?

I do have this lingering theory though, that since MKX will be over the span of 5 - 25 years after the events of MK3 canonically, they may compress Mk4 and a few of the other 3D games into one package like they did the Mk1-3 in Mortal Kombat 9.

In fact, now that I think about it that is actually super likely unless they want to buttfuck continuity and somehow have MK4 take place over the course of 25 years somehow.
anything past Mk3 doesn't exist anymore

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
anything past Mk3 doesn't exist anymore
That makes no sense, as anyone and any thing that would have been canonically alive or built before the 3D era would still be well and active despite Raiden's stirring of the pot.

Things won't happen the same way they did in the past, but it doesn't mean they won't still happen in some way.

Look at how Raiden changed MK1 in Mortal Kombat 9, resulting in changes to MK2, and how his changes in MK2 led to the events of MK3 being changed. His actions will echo out but they won't flat out erase.

Especially considering the fact that Shao Kahn dying won't really effect the events leading to Mk4, as he was defeated beforehand anyway in the original timeline, through different means.

Mortal Komhat

Worst Well-Established Goro Player Ever

He conquered the Netherrealm himself, and straight up fucked up Shinnok. Could explain why Quan Chi's there and Shinnok isn't. It would be an arcade ending cop out but would explain it if Shinnok's not there.

Honestly I think they want to avoid going into the 3D games - lore-wise they were kind of fucked up. I expect a few plot points to return from them, but I'd dare say that while things occurred pretty same-y in MK9 (key plot points happened, but differently), MKX will likely go into a new direction from the start, hence why all the new characters rather than revisiting the 3D ones. Also, they're much more committed to storyline than they were before.

Although that he acknowledged the question is pretty much a sign Shinnok's a lock.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Pretty much the same overall continuity/canon story still exists, it's just SOME things are different, not everything. Example, Kahn may be dead thus no Armageddon but MK 4 events clearly will still happen ie Quan-Chi and Shinnok(this is quite obvious) I think MKX will span during MK 4's story and long past the MK DA, MK D and MK A storyline(25 years) that's a long time.

trufenix

bye felicia
There's always the chance they won't, it wouldn't be the first time they've disregarded their own breadcrumbs. Think about it, what bigger troll could there be than m. night shamyalan'ing the entire genre's most celebrated story mode? After having Superman murder Joker in the opening minutes of Injustice, I wouldn't put any plot twist past them.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
He conquered the Netherrealm himself, and straight up fucked up Shinnok. Could explain why Quan Chi's there and Shinnok isn't. It would be an arcade ending cop out but would explain it if Shinnok's not there.

Honestly I think they want to avoid going into the 3D games - lore-wise they were kind of fucked up. I expect a few plot points to return from them, but I'd dare say that while things occurred pretty same-y in MK9 (key plot points happened, but differently), MKX will likely go into a new direction from the start, hence why all the new characters rather than revisiting the 3D ones. Also, they're much more committed to storyline than they were before.

Although that he acknowledged the question is pretty much a sign Shinnok's a lock.
A lot of post-MK4 characters have been made irrelevant potentially due to these changes.

I think it is very safe to say though, that between 5 and 25 years after MK3 we'll go through and well beyond the years the 3D era's lore takes place in, and some characters actually have chances of reappearing or becoming relevant to the plot.

I hope they do acknowledge some plot points that would happen regardless and not just ignore them and not explain why they didn't this time around. Like Shujinko and Reptile bringing about the return of Onaga, or Havik and Hotaru making moves, or the Tekunin growing in power and number, or Taven and Daegon.

Wether anyone likes any of those things or not, they still happened and the events of MK9 won't actually prevent them as they have little to do with them/aren't effected by them at all/pre-determined before MK1.