What's new

Tech - Shaolin Absurd Side Switch with Optimal Damage (that I've accidentally been hiding)

KIllaByte

PSN: playakid700. Local name: BFGC MonkeyBizness
For the record, I've never actually seen a Kung Jin player hit the optimal damage that I'm posting here for one bar, in any match, ever. I watch Slayer and know of the TYM squad, but I'm actually afraid I'm the only one who knows this, and the dope ass tricky version of optimal damage.
I've known this for way too long, but the issue with tech like this, is that when people know it, the mixup goes away...
Still though, you'll catch people. Only the Kung Jin alyers will know the intricacies of the timing of the side switch.
You can do 11 flying kick instead to prevent a side switch.
Edit: Wow, my damage wasn't even optimal either. Thanks, Trustypatches.

Last edited:

KIllaByte

stamatis

Όσα δε φτάνει η αλεπού. ........
This is really nice,that 34 storm was really exciting and really hard.
I cannot test it right now about the damage,but I think you hit the maximum.
Anyway I will let you know,thank you for the homework;)!

KIllaByte

Can we ban this map for combo videos?

Is it just me, or is it hard to see the damage percentage, even on the highest quality?

Great stuff, didn't know about the double 34 in the corner.
That's also my game's brightness being set too high at the ime of recording. It's 40%, and then 39% for the second series of combos, where B2 starter is used in place of standing 2.

KIllaByte

I appreciate the overwhelmingly positive AM hours response, people. Thanks.

KIllaByte

@KIllaByte just checked it. 221xxEXDB1xxNJPxx4xxDB2xx34xxDIVE KICKxx34xxDB3xxD4 41%.
Thank you for the chance to lab with my main!
edit.i hope it can be concluded in your guide!
oooh man I should have considered that, that's probably super hard, but not much harder than the njp 3 4 3 4 divekick I've got going now.

stamatis

Όσα δε φτάνει η αλεπού. ........
oooh man I should have considered that, that's probably super hard, but not much harder than the njp 3 4 3 4 divekick I've got going now.
this is ''stolen'' from my bojutsu combos,so i used it and it just happened to fit.the only hard is to make a deep njp.

Trustypatches

PSN: Boweeen, Twitch: rBoweeen
@KIllaByte Nice find! I had no idea that this was a thing lol. Anyway, I looked into it and first off I found a slightly more damaging set up for it (does 41% with the jump 1, 221 starter). I also looked at the advantage after they did a tech roll and found that Jin is pretty negative when the lungekick hits like this :/. I showed this by doing two jumps as soon as each character had recovered. Still, I really like this, and it has got me labbing it some more lol. If I find anything more I'll let you know.

NOTE: In the video I missed the ex chakram-late njp link, though it does work. (I didn't realize at the time so I didn't redo it)

Trustypatches

@KIllaByte I just found a reverse wakeup setup with the upkick - shaolin drop. You sacrafice a small amount of damage with 37% though I'm sure there are more damaging setups. Anyway, you just need to walk back before doing the 34 xx upkick after a divekick with low gravity and it should work. The timing seems pretty strict so it might not be 100% consistent and I'm sure it works differently on different hitboxes too. Not bad because you get a lot of advantage and the hdk.

@KIllaByte I just found a reverse wakeup setup with the upkick - shaolin drop. You sacrafice a small amount of damage with 37% though I'm sure there are more damaging setups. Anyway, you just need to walk back before doing the 34 xx upkick after a divekick with low gravity and it should work. The timing seems pretty strict so it might not be 100% consistent and I'm sure it works differently on different hitboxes too. Not bad because you get a lot of advantage and the hdk.
You can also end the combo with 4 xx upkick for a consistent side switch and same damage.

TackyHaddock

Salty Mashers Krew
@KIllaByte Nice find! I had no idea that this was a thing lol. Anyway, I looked into it and first off I found a slightly more damaging set up for it (does 41% with the jump 1, 221 starter). I also looked at the advantage after they did a tech roll and found that Jin is pretty negative when the lungekick hits like this :/. I showed this by doing two jumps as soon as each character had recovered. Still, I really like this, and it has got me labbing it some more lol. If I find anything more I'll let you know.

NOTE: In the video I missed the ex chakram-late njp link, though it does work. (I didn't realize at the time so I didn't redo it)
I love corner combos that include 4, db2 after an NJP, but do you agree that they are often difficult online? in particular, following up the db2 with either 3,4 or 1,1 seems to have very strict timing and it is often made impractical with even a bit of online delay. I think this also applies to doing 3,4 two times in a row online.

Yeah that works really well, thanks! Did you just find that now or was this already known?
Np! I found that out a while ago when I switched from Bojutsu to Shaolin and was used to end my combos in 4 xx Bo swing but realised it switched position with the upkick. I have not seen anyone talk about this anywhere in the KJ forums tho...

Your tech with the walk back 34 xx upkick stance switch is awesome though because it's less obvious that you are going for the stance switch against an opponent that knows what's going on. We should look at this more in dept against different caracters!

Trustypatches

do you agree that they are often difficult online?
Yeah they can be pretty difficult with lag involved. I personally see how the connection is, and then maybe do online friendly combos which only lose 2% off optimal. njp, u1, 34, divekick, 34 xx upkick is pretty good and not too bad in lag. Imo losing 2% means nothing if you are always going to land it, as the oki is far more important in Shaolin. Oh, and whenever there is really bad lag then take out the 34's and add 11's lol.

Last edited:

TackyHaddock

Salty Mashers Krew
Yeah they can be pretty difficult with lag involved. I personally see how the connection is, and then maybe do online friendly combos which only lose 2% off optimal. njp, u1, 34, divekick, 34 xx upkick is pretty good and not too bad in lag. Imo losing 2% means nothing if you are always going to land it, as the oki is far more important in Shaolin. Oh, and whenever there is really bad lag then take out the 34's and 11's lol.
interesting idea to use u1 in that combo. I never actually think to include u1 in that situation. In fact, one major improvement that I need to make as a shaolin player is to use u1 more in general, particularly as an anti-air to convert into divekick combos. For some reason I have not yet trained my muscle memory to use u1 on reaction to jump ins, but I feel that if I do begin to do that my game will become much stronger. When you instead just default to NJP on jump ins, we all know that the NJP can often whiff up close and lead to full punish - it seems the u1 is really what should be used there.

Trustypatches

interesting idea to use u1 in that combo.
to use u1 more in general, particularly as an anti-air
U1 scaling is pretty good (don't know the exact numbers) so it isn't bad in corner combos. U1 is probably the best normal to use as a meterless aa for deep jump ins in the game, so it is definitely worth getting used to. Other than that, s1 or d1 are both great too. Get used to using those in different scenarios against different characters and you shouldn't need to ever use the njp! :)