What's new

A Viewer's Perspective of Summerjam

SneakyTortoise

Official Master of Salt
I'd just like to start off by congratulating everyone who participated in this tournament for giving us hype matches, particularly those that made it to top 16 and top 8. Honeybee vs KDZ was my personal favourite set but there were so many exciting sets to choose from, so well done for putting on a show guys.

Now, I watch EVERY NRS tournament going. I have done since MK9 and I do for injustice, even though I don't play anymore, because I still find watching high level players exciting.

I watched the whole stream of Injustice at Summerjam from start to finish for both days. On the first day the stream was absolutely awful. I'm not saying this to be a bitching stream monster but it was. And this isn't the first, second or third time that a KN stream has been nearly unwatchable. Now, if the people responsible are reading this, you can repeat whatever lame excuse that you've made in the past about how "it wasn't in our control, the internet in that area was bad", but come on guys, don't you ever learn from these situations? How can other streamers provide good streams consistently yet you guys ALWAYS have issues? Another reason I'm not buying these excuses is that something changed when the tournament reached top 16. You guys changed something and the stream then ran perfectly for the whole of top 16. What did you guys do? Why could you not have had it set up like that from the beginning?

Now you can say "who the hell is this guy? Your opinion means nothing". And you are entitled to feel that way. However, if you continue to take this approach then very soon people will stop tuning in to see slideshows of the games at hand and we'll just wait until a smooth stream is available from a different provider. I'm not sure how it works, but I doubt you'll be getting hot asian sponsor girls, and the money that comes with the privilege of displaying them, when you have zero viewers now will you?

TLDR: Stream was awful until you fixed it at top 16. Enough of this nonsense please.

TotteryManx

cr. HP Master
I think other streams were hardlined? KN had to rely on 4g which isn't always reliable. The reason the stream turned around is because they lowered the bitrate more and more until things were watchable. If anything, I'd say keep it lowered for the future. Now, if you want KN to have a hardline then get a community donation going. I'm sure they wouldn't mind since it provides quality for the viewer/community. If not....then you go tournament to tournament and stream it yourself.

IMakeItL00kC00L

Do not provoke a god
I think other streams were hardlined? KN had to rely on 4g which isn't always reliable. The reason the stream turned around is because they lowered the bitrate more and more until things were watchable. If anything, I'd say keep it lowered for the future. Now, if you want KN to have a hardline then get a community donation going. I'm sure they wouldn't mind since it provides quality for the viewer/community. If not....then you go tournament to tournament and stream it yourself.
Pretty sure it was this ^

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
Yup both Bifuteki and Spooky got hardlines, everyone else was to fend for themselves via 4g.

But like I said before, everything was local recorded regardless. Our 4g card was shared amongst bracket users because we upgraded to challonge.

SneakyTortoise

Official Master of Salt
Thank you for that ridiculous response. That was my whole point about them fixing it for stream at top 16. Why could they not have just dont that from the beginning and then there would be no problem. Yes, me getting a flight across the Atlantic Ocean to stream every event that KN will be streaming is the reasonable solution. Thank you oh wise one!

TotteryManx

cr. HP Master
This has been happening since I came into the community which is early 2012. It's so frustrating to go watch a stream and for some reason, KN always has the same problem tournament after tournament. It's just nonsense at this point.
It's not like they haven't gave any effort to correct their mistakes. It wasn't that long ago they didn't have a 4g card. They have one now, probably due to the outcry from the community. I can't stand peoples views on this. KN is doing this for fun. They don't have to stream anything at all. Just show up and run the brackets. People need to drop the self sense of entitlement when you aren't entitled to anything. People should be grateful that anyone is willing to travel/pay money out of their own pocket to stream our game at all.

And I'll say it again...you don't like how it's being done? You pay money out of your pocket to go tournament to tournament and stream the event yourself.

SneakyTortoise

Official Master of Salt
Yup both Bifuteki and Spooky got hardlines, everyone else was to fend for themselves via 4g.

But like I said before, everything was local recorded regardless. Our 4g card was shared amongst bracket users because we upgraded to challonge.
Yes I get this, but why was everything awful for HOURS and then fixed for top 16. Could it not have been fixed any sooner? For the next tournament that they'll be streaming could they not set it up like that from the beginning?

NB Semi Evil Ryu

Former Sub-Zero of the Midwest (2011 - 2015)
I didn't watch the whole thing, but I watched some on Saturday and it did not seem that bad to me. I know that they were having an issue with the video doing some weird stuff, but that's understandable as I'm guessing something in their hardware became damaged and did not know about it until tournament day (or it may even just became damaged on tournament day).

And that's understandable. I mean hell, look at last week's GBS. Dead sound card. Sometimes, you're just not going to know that something hardware-related is wrong until you fire the thing up.

And 4G reception is 4G reception. You're going to get whatever the signal strength is going to give you.

SneakyTortoise

Official Master of Salt
It's not like they haven't gave any effort to correct their mistakes. It wasn't that long ago they didn't have a 4g card. They have one now, probably due to the outcry from the community. I can't stand peoples views on this. KN is doing this for fun. They don't have to stream anything at all. Just show up and run the brackets. People need to drop the self sense of entitlement when you aren't entitled to anything. People should be grateful that anyone is willing to travel/pay money out of their own pocket to stream our game at all.

And I'll say it again...you don't like how it's being done? You pay money out of your pocket to go tournament to tournament and stream the event yourself.
Do you not understand that this criticism is to help them? Like I said, if their streams continue like this the viewers will drop and drop. What about this do you not understand???

TotteryManx

cr. HP Master
Thank you for that ridiculous response. That was my whole point about them fixing it for stream at top 16. Why could they not have just dont that from the beginning and then there would be no problem. Yes, me getting a flight across the Atlantic Ocean to stream every event that KN will be streaming is the reasonable solution. Thank you oh wise one!
First of all, you're welcome. Secondly, they were tinkering with the bitrate the whole time. I'm sure you seen at times the stream was smooth as butter and then randomly became choppy again? Everytime they believed the error was corrected another popped up. You have to just go with the flow sometimes. I'm just sayin, KN doesn't have to stream anything. Everyone is so quick to point the finger without realizing they don't have to show you the tournament lol. Everyone has a answer for everything around here and it's sad. If someone believes they can do it better then do it. Obviously not all of this is directed towards you. I'm just sick of hearing about it all the time.

TotteryManx

cr. HP Master
Do you not understand that this criticism is to help them? Like I said, if their streams continue like this the viewers will drop and drop. What about this do you not understand???
I'm not sure they care that much about views in the first place tbh. I'm sure they would rather record the matches and upload them to Youtube instead. They do more than just the stream. Maybe they should specifically get someone to monitor the stream at all times that are capable? I'm sure Shock can't sit there the entire time with other things going on.

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
Lol it was fixed by top 16 you're fine. KN just has to start out with a lower bitrate than what they started SJ with
Yeah we thought we had a really good reception because Friday night when we did tests we had like 25 down and 10 up, so we thought it would be a higher quality stream.

Alas, Saturday it got all clogged up by all the 4g use-age.

xInfra Deadx

Gimmick stolen by Jordan Peele
Thank you! This is all I needed to hear. I hope it is and if it is you'll hear nothing but praise from me.
I'll believe it when I see things improve, which I do want tournaments to run smooth...but every time, there's always some sort of stream issue. Look at NEC last year, the big pool of death was not streamed AT ALL. How these problems consistently occur at East Coast tourneys is laughable at this point, because everyone knows it's going to happen, plain and simple.

SneakyTortoise

Official Master of Salt
I'll believe it when I see things improve, which I do want tournaments to run smooth...but every time, there's always some sort of stream issue. Look at NEC last year, the big pool of death was not streamed AT ALL. How these problems consistently occur at East Coast tourneys is laughable at this point, because everyone knows it's going to happen, plain and simple.
Keep the faith! I'm going to watch a few more until I completely give up.

NB Semi Evil Ryu

Former Sub-Zero of the Midwest (2011 - 2015)
Yeah we thought we had a really good reception because Friday night when we did tests we had like 25 down and 10 up, so we thought it would be a higher quality stream.

Alas, Saturday it got all clogged up by all the 4g use-age.
All those 4g smartphones in one room are going to suck up just about everything, lol

TotteryManx

cr. HP Master
But they do stream, so why shouldn't we expect/ask for a good and clean stream?
Of course we can and we have every right to, but throwing a fit about the stream without knowing the situation is silly. I'm sure the OP feels more resolved now that he is aware. Also, if they were hardwired and the stream was the same...then hell should break loose, but most of us understand how iffy 4g can be.

SneakyTortoise

Official Master of Salt
Of course we can and we have every right to, but throwing a fit about the stream without knowing the situation is silly. I'm sure the OP feels more resolved now that he is aware. Also, if they were hardwired and the stream was the same...then hell should break loose, but most of us understand how iffy 4g can be.
No. I was aware at the time as I was watching when they were telling them to lower the bitrate. No one is throwing a fit. I am just telling them that if this doesn't change (as this has been the case for an insanely long time for KN) then people will stop watching their streams.

TotteryManx

cr. HP Master
No. I was aware at the time as I was watching when they were telling them to lower the bitrate. No one is throwing a fit. I am just telling them that if this doesn't change (as this has been the case for an insanely long time for KN) then people will stop watching their streams.
It's all good. I understand your point of view. Big E said things would be fixed so keep your fingers crossed.