What's new

Guide A Guide to Rain by Book Burning [Incomplete]

BookBurning

Voidwards
This thread isn't for debating whether or not Rain is a good character. Do that in another thread. This is merely supposed to be a guide and discussion of the guide for input.

Also on a personal note. I'll body all your asses with Rain soon enough. Think twice; alot of you are pretty ignorant and I have statements to make about each idiotic comment I've came across. (UsedForGlue) But if you want to debate with me on that then by all means make another thread. Not this one though, sorry.

Also I'm salty. #SaltyRainModerator

Bildslash

Goro Lives 
Gotta admit I got carried away after reading Glue's post, which is isn't overrating or underrating Rain, but simply stating the harsh truth, lol.

The guide so far is pretty good. I'm waiting until you cover zoners and teleport as combo ender.

a_guardian_devil

"We share blood, we are not brothers!"
My apologies to everyone but I get irritated when people don't really know the character yet make bold claims like he has bad footsies (He doesn't)

Writing more now.
been waiting for more since u started :) , please show these people what rain is capable of lol

UsedForGlue

"Strength isn't everything"
rain has good footsies, RH cancels, high damage ouput and ARMORED DASH !

he is no way near mid-tier.
I think his :Ex RH Cancel saves him, it's something I make use off every round on a few occasions if I have the meter.

But what exactly is it about Rain that makes you think he has a good footsie game?

The only good footsie tool he has, is :bk Roundhouse, and on block you crush most opponents normals afterwards with a repeat of :bk Roundhouse, but thats about it.

Mothmonsterman0

Mortal Kombat is NOT dead.
Good stuff books, I think your right about kitana being 5/5 if you have the life lead, she will have to come to you. What is your input on mileena? I under stand she has no comeback factor, and once you get the life lead you can lame her out. But i wouldnt mind hearing your input on the match up, thanks

a_guardian_devil

"We share blood, we are not brothers!"
I think his :Ex RH Cancel saves him, it's something I make use off every round on a few occasions if I have the meter.

But what exactly is it about Rain that makes you think he has a good footsie game?

The only good footsie tool he has, is :bk Roundhouse, and on block you crush most opponents normals afterwards with a repeat of :bk Roundhouse, but thats about it.
personally i think he has good footsies coz as u stated BK roundhous, b2 good range and very good aa 1.

i know its not the whole package but honestly, its more than ok since landing a roundhouse is so rewarding.

if only that damn d3 was + on hit things would be so much different ..

BookBurning

Voidwards
Update: Last night I spoke to a friend of mine who has a Dazzle and I am making a date to record some actual video guides. I will still keep writing however, but video guides will be coming.

Edit Bildslash It's not a terrible idea but really I don't see the purpose if you can guarantee a plus2 advantage. I think it might work but it is gimmicky and they will catch on after a bit.

PND_Mustard

"More stealthful than the night"
Premium Supporter
This thread isn't for debating whether or not Rain is a good character. Do that in another thread. This is merely supposed to be a guide and discussion of the guide for input.

Also on a personal note. I'll body all your asses with Rain soon enough. Think twice; alot of you are pretty ignorant and I have statements to make about each idiotic comment I've came across. (UsedForGlue) But if you want to debate with me on that then by all means make another thread. Not this one though, sorry.

Also I'm salty. #SaltyRainModerator
no offense intended, but being salty is still no excuse to talk like a dick.

on topic: excellent guide, i hope to see your rain attend tournaments in the near future.

RampaginDragon

Loses to uppercuts
I will have re-phrase my point.

His pressure is decent, but his strings are only 2 hits max before a cancel, and the opponent has nothing much to fear by lows or overheads, you can stand block rain all day until he finally finishes his pressure.

Its about the trade...I am more than happy to let Rain do a JIP :bk:fk RH Cancel, :fk:fk RH, because the D1 or trying to counter with a fast normal isn't worth the trade in most instances, as Rain can land 40% from a RH, and if he has two bars, he can take one of yours.

So you allowed Rain to take 8% chip, instead of eating 40%, im ok with that, the point of Rain's pressure is that you don't want to cancel, you want them to eat a RH, thats the goal, not the cancels, and as far as Kabal goes, you want to Cancel, to get your chip and pressure going again then bail out with a 50/50 and start zoning, its the complete opposite.

D4 is only a D4, it has its specific uses but I wouldn't say his D4 makes his ''Footsie game'' great, I think you are taking the term ''Footsies'' as literally down pokes with kicks, but that is not what I am talking about with Footsies man.

Also, his d3 leaves him -2 even on hit, making it hard to even counter or continue pressure, a-side from its low hit box and the fact that :bk is a high crush, its not a ''good'' poke, a good poke would leave with you some sort of advantage on hit.

Rain has a limited footsie game outside of jump distance, so you don't fear him like Jax, Nightwolf, Reptile, Sonya, Kenshi Etc, the opponent has to come to him because you don't have a fast wiff punish at distance.

And lightning is very over rated anywhere under fullscreen and not worth risking if your opponent reads it and lands a JIP, because even if you get a lighting, you can't really capitalise off it that much as far as damage goes, and instead, the reset is your option, but damage is the key to winning with Rain.
It is not always Rains goal do land the roundhouse. As Book said, it builds ass tons of meter, and if your okay with letting him pressure you, then he wwill keep doing it. Like JC, he isnt always looking for f3 to hit, just wants you to block it and if you eat it then thats the cherry on top. Im not totally disagreeing with you, obviously he wants 40% more than pressure, but its not a bad alternitive. Tons of meter and chip dmg isnt that bad even compared to 40%.

Also, I dont think your giving lightning enough credit. Sure, its not as good as some people think, but it is good. He can reset you with lightning on wake-up so you either wake-up block, or wake-up attack, or else you get hit. Also reading lightning is probably not to effective because an smart Rain wont be throwing it out carelessly up close for you to happily punish. And it is not an easy task, if possible to jump lightning on reaction. And sure, as far as raw combo's go, lightning isnt that great as a starter. but it leads straight into water bubble reset, into more pressure and more meter, chip dmg and a chance to combo you for Rain.

Mosp

Noob
43~RHC can be d3 by certain characters and armored if you try to continue his pressure.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought D3's whiff on Rain when he does 43 RHC. I know it does for some characters but I didn't bother to test them all.

SaJa

FH_FenriR
the point of Rain's pressure is that you don't want to cancel, you want them to eat a RH
Not agreed. RH cancel + hitting on block gives him meter. Rain with meter is damn good coz all his ex-special got (super) armor. So to me, it is the same thing as quanchi : shit tier without meter, god tier with full meter.
You can armored dash to a 43% combo to counter any sort of attacks with 1 meter (and with another one you can still take off some meter from your opponent to be sure you will be able to finish your combo).
The RHc pressure is the best way to get meter so I'm not really agree with the fact that what we absolutly want is to get this RH damage.

By the way, what is the most damaging combo starting by a roundhouse (except RH, upercut which is too hard to do despite the corner) ? I don't thing I can get over 40% (should be around 35%).

you can stand block rain all day until he finally finishes his pressure.
That's why it is good to RHc + grab pretty often against opponents standing block for ages. After hitting 3x 12% he will leave his guard sooner or later.

BookBurning : My worse mu is against sz. I don't use that storm that much coz it's only safe in full screen ...(I'm pretty agreed with u4g, it is kind of overrated skill to me) and from my experience (the sz I play are mainly online, just in case ^^), the storm whiff pretty often coz of the move sz makes when he clones out, from here I dunno if it's a pretty good option. Against iceball I prefer tp, I have a lil time to make an 3 or 4 RH right after being behind him.
Also, I would like to see a video from you against sz to have an idea of how to fight him. Go buy a dazzle dude ! :p

Question : Is the tp + exRH(c) safe ?

STB Bodam

"Game... Blouses."
Not agreed. RH cancel + hitting on block gives him meter. Rain with meter is damn good coz all his ex-special got (super) armor. So to me, it is the same thing as quanchi : shit tier without meter, god tier with full meter.
You can armored dash to a 43% combo to counter any sort of attacks with 1 meter (and with another one you can still take off some meter from your opponent to be sure you will be able to finish your combo).
The RHc pressure is the best way to get meter so I'm not really agree with the fact that what we absolutly want is to get this RH damage.

By the way, what is the most damaging combo starting by a roundhouse (except RH, upercut which is too hard to do despite the corner) ? I don't thing I can get over 40% (should be around 35%).

That's why it is good to RHc + grab pretty often against opponents standing block for ages. After hitting 3x 12% he will leave his guard sooner or later.

BookBurning : My worse mu is against sz. I don't use that storm that much coz it's only safe in full screen ...(I'm pretty agreed with u4g, it is kind of overrated skill to me) and from my experience (the sz I play are mainly online, just in case ^^), the storm whiff pretty often coz of the move sz makes when he clones out, from here I dunno if it's a pretty good option. Against iceball I prefer tp, I have a lil time to make an 3 or 4 RH right after being behind him.
Also, I would like to see a video from you against sz to have an idea of how to fight him. Go buy a dazzle dude ! :p

Question : Is the tp + exRH(c) safe ?
Use Lightning more in that MU. I had the same thought as well and believe me, it works wonders. Same with against Saibot.

STB Bodam

"Game... Blouses."
I acknowledge that the Sub Zero matchup isn't that bad, but I still think it's a 4.5-5.5
Once you get over the fact you can never ever jump and you cannot get yourself into the corner; it's really not bad, at all. It's more of a 5/5 than a 6/4 -- really.

SaJa

FH_FenriR
I just played offline against a pretty good sz. Trust me, the storm is a joke. There is no way to punish safely sz with a storm in offline, and this is safe only in full screen. The only way I found is ex-tp, ex-dash, or normal tp when he is launching ice.

How could the worse zoner character possibly get a 5-5 against one of the best zoner... I'm not convainced at all.

So ofc, rdm storm is quite good in online, but in offline, he sees the shit coming and just block or jump in. The lighting is overrated for sure in that topic.

STB Bodam

"Game... Blouses."
I just played offline against a pretty good sz. Trust me, the storm is a joke. There is no way to punish safely sz with a storm in offline, and this is safe only in full screen. The only way I found is ex-tp, ex-dash, or normal tp when he is launching ice.

How could the worse zoner character possibly get a 5-5 against one of the best zoner... I'm not convainced at all.

So ofc, rdm storm is quite good in online, but in offline, he sees the shit coming and just block or jump in. The lighting is overrated for sure in that topic.
That's interesting.

I barely have any offline experience other than fighting my brother's Noob Saibot from time to time which I cannot any longer due to him being away.

SaJa

FH_FenriR
He was talking about the character, not the player. I don't think Rain is low tier (too many armors, too many damages in combo, and good pressure), however he is like sz, he has some broken match up.. just my opinion, and if I'm not mistaken, that's one of the reasons cdjr has stopped playing Rain (his favorit char). Once you know Rain's weaknesses, the opponent just need to play footsy to win.