What's new

A challenge to the UMK3 players of TYM

YourMKArcadeSource

Your Source For All Things MK Arcade Related
So you now hold the world record? Which character did you use?
Robot Smoke/Human Smoke. I don't think there are any rules regarding what character you have to use or if H.Smoke isn't allowed. Based on the fact that they allowed Nick Matthews to hold the record after he switched to H.Smoke, I figured I could do it too. I switched to him in the second round against Motaro. I doubt I will get credit since there was no one officiating. I made a few mistakes or I'd have been well under 8 minutes. I'm sure someone could apply the technique I used and beat 8:07, but that's currently where the bar is set. Timer started as soon as Smoke was selected and ended at the last blow against Shao Khan.

GGA HAN

Galloping Ghost Arcade
Robot Smoke/Human Smoke. I don't think there are any rules regarding what character you have to use or if H.Smoke isn't allowed. Based on the fact that they allowed Nick Matthews to hold the record after he switched to H.Smoke, I figured I could do it too. I switched to him in the second round against Motaro. I doubt I will get credit since there was no one officiating.
Human smoke is allowed, its says specifically in the rules. Next time you come out to GGA let me or Doc know and we'll be able to make it official on our cab here!

- Pete

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
There should be a time per character as most cannot teleport or have the mobility of others (lao). Like try doing one with Jade or Mileena... it will be a much different time than doing it with Smoke who is braindead easy once the AI throws a projectile every time you do a jump back attack.

Also, I am a time attack nazi so once I find something I can record with I'll do a MAME run with this ^_^

YourMKArcadeSource

There should be a time per character as most cannot teleport or have the mobility of others (lao). Like try doing one with Jade or Mileena... it will be a much different time than doing it with Smoke who is braindead easy once the AI throws a projectile every time you do a jump back attack.
I agree. But that would complicate things a bit. I can breeze through the game with Un-masked Sub by abusing the AI like Smoke can, but there's no way to get close to the record time with him, which is why a agree with what you said, but it's not really practical.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
I agree. But that would complicate things a bit. I can breeze through the game with Un-masked Sub by abusing the AI like Smoke can, but there's no way to get close to the record time with him, which is why a agree with what you said, but it's not really practical.
What I mean is to hold the record for overall best time (Smoke)... but also break it down to best time with USub, best with Jade, etc... that would be cool to see the strategies people come up with.

nwo

Noob
What I mean is to hold the record for overall best time (Smoke)... but also break it down to best time with USub, best with Jade, etc... that would be cool to see the strategies people come up with.
I have a 9:36 Lao video with room for improvement, but I was searching around for a stopwatch timer overlay and it kind of blew my buzz (for now).

PND_Ketchup

"More deadly than the dawn"
I don't see why we can't have an Overall World Record (for those that wish to go for overall top), and a record for each individual character.

The teleport punch tactic is the most efficient, but Robo Smoke will always outspeed Sektor because the rounds simply take less time, not to mention changing to the human variation vs the bosses. Plus not all characters can approach the AI that way, they need to use their own strategies.

Character specific times and an Overall best time should be the formula IMO, people always have different categories for speedruns of games. UMK3 could just have the characters as the categories?

nwo

Noob
I just pulled a 9:06 with Lao, with a couple massive fuck ups. I'll post a video if / when I get under 9:00. That's a pretty good mark for Lao. I'm also flawlessing way too much.

DWednesday

Undisputed #1 ScrubBot Worldwide.
Doing the 2 combo round strat (do the jump back with an attack AI exploit, TPU, aaHP, JK, Air Throw (doable on all characters)) and doing the H.Smoke morph on the 1st round vs. Motaro are the only 2 definite improvements I can think of at the moment...

Anyone else?

YourMKArcadeSource

Doing the 2 combo round strat (do the jump back with an attack AI exploit, TPU, aaHP, JK, Air Throw (doable on all characters)) and doing the H.Smoke morph on the 1st round vs. Motaro are the only 2 definite improvements I can think of at the moment...

Anyone else?

If you whif on the aaHP, you're asking for trouble.

Last edited:

PND_Ketchup

Anyone else?
Getting really lucky with Shao Kahn can be a pretty big deal too.

Knocking him down makes him unable to block your attack on his wakeup sometimes, so if you can find a combo that leads to uppercut for easy damage, but more importantly, getting a knockdown on him, we can always find a way to improve the Shao Kahn fight too.

I noticed that after doing hk,hk,lp with Robo smoke will always make shao kahn use a special attack straight after. I was lucky enough to get him to do a charge every time.

I would do HK,HK,LP, then immediately do a spear the second his hitsutn ends, he charges right into it. Letting you get a knockdown and repeat the process all over again. It made the fight much faster than the WR footage, but the issue is that you'd need to use Robo Smoke against motaro too, which is way more inconsistent.

EDIT: the standing HP doesnt always connect after a telepunch. In my experience with sektor, it likes to wiff on the female ninjas/liu kang/sometimes sindel. It works on most though!

DWednesday

Undisputed #1 ScrubBot Worldwide.
Getting really lucky with Shao Kahn can be a pretty big deal too.

&

the standing HP doesnt always connect after a telepunch. In my experience with sektor, it likes to wiff on the female ninjas/liu kang/sometimes sindel. It works on most though!
TPU, Run burst, aaHP, Run cancel, JK, Air Throw will connect on all characters (tested my myself, the timing's a bit framey on certain characters (f. ninjas, shang, sheeva, sonya, u. sub)) but everyone else is pretty easy.

As for Kahn, he is definitely a run killer, I think there's a 1 in 3 chance he'll open with the upward tackle, instantly leading to his demise in that round because of the uppercut, spear his wake up, wait a little, uppercut, repeat until dead loop. Also, alot of H.Smoke juggles are doable on Kahn too, so maybe something can be done with those?

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11

Also, I am a time attack nazi so once I find something I can record with I'll do a MAME run with this ^_^
haha easy teleport, jab, spear combos. So there is someone else who knows about that trick huh? :p

Same for Sektor lol or similar at least.

This is a neat idea though, personally would love to see a MKT every endurance round speed run now THAT would be a real challenge in fast time all those opponents lol

PND_Ketchup

TPU, Run burst, aaHP, Run cancel, JK, Air Throw will connect on all characters (tested my myself, the timing's a bit framey on certain characters (f. ninjas, shang, sheeva, sonya, u. sub)) but everyone else is pretty easy.

As for Kahn, he is definitely a run killer, I think there's a 1 in 3 chance he'll open with the upward tackle, instantly leading to his demise in that round because of the uppercut, spear his wake up, wait a little, uppercut, repeat until dead loop. Also, alot of H.Smoke juggles are doable on Kahn too, so maybe something can be done with those?
I suppose it'll come down to if the combos will take longer than just hitting uppercut, especially considering he takes reduced damage and air throws don't work on him.

YourMKArcadeSource

I suppose it'll come down to if the combos will take longer than just hitting uppercut, especially considering he takes reduced damage and air throws don't work on him.
If you get Shao Khan in the corner and combo him, if you are fast enough, you can just keep combining him to death. I have a video on it. It's done on MK3 but it also works just as well on UMK3....when you're lucky. I mention at the end of the video that it was fixed on UMK3. This is not entirely true. I HAVE been able to duplicate it, but it's not as easy as MK3. Anyway, I just wanted to show that this could be a viable strategy. (I also say Shang Tsung at the end. I meant Shao Khan).

Last edited:

nwo

Noob
I just did 8:56 using a new tactic I discovered (with Lao), but I'm confident I can get significantly faster because I had some bad luck, Reptile went invisible (forever) and I did terrible vs Motaro.