What's new

General/Other - Sub-Zero 3 Variations of Sub-Zero discussion

The clone DOES freeze. Just check here at 5:27:

It also can be thrown (shown at 4:52 in the above).

But also very interesting, check here at 8:00:

SZ's "ground pound" move detonates the clone, causing knockdown. He does it twice in a row.

So more uses! Yay!
Note: all of these appear to be normal clone. No idea what MB'ed clone does.

I think it'd be cool if you could (maybe only in the MB version of clone) choose whether SZ flips forward or backward by holding the direction. That way you could drop a clone behind you for crossups or to use in juggles. I'd like to see a MB clone that was usable in combos--maybe even allowing a double freeze combo (with appropriate scaling, of course).

JHCRANE 14

GO VOLS!!!
I like this move by NRS. It is almost like they took all the different variations of characters and put it into one game and let you choose.

Ex: remember Shredder Sub-Zero and his weapons. Also, wasn't there a game or two where Sub-Zero didn't have Ice Clone at all...excluding the original MK.

So it's like they are letting you choose which version of your favorite character you want to play.

You want clone Sub-Zero then pick version 3...want a weapon wielding Sub-Zero then pick version 1...want to be a defensive powerhouse then pick version 2.

YES!!!

For SZ's clone, I'm guessing it works like an interactable object that just favors SZ: he can walk through it, attack through it, or throw it. The opponent can throw it with the interactable button, but if the opponent touches it in moving or using any other button, he gets frozen. Also, I think that if the opponent tries to throw it, SZ can use his ground pound to detonate it for free damage and knockdown.

@Tom Brady

Was wondering if u plan on using sub again this time around, now that u have seen/played him, or do u think u will retire him and move onto new blood? I admired your dedication to him last time around. Either way, the tech/ commentary/ opinions u provide this community are priceless. Despite all the hate u get, I applaud u for staying around and contributing ur $.02

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
For SZ's clone, I'm guessing it works like an interactable object that just favors SZ: he can walk through it, attack through it, or throw it. The opponent can throw it with the interactable button, but if the opponent touches it in moving or using any other button, he gets frozen. Also, I think that if the opponent tries to throw it, SZ can use his ground pound to detonate it for free damage and knockdown.
I just don't see how they can throw it without touching it.
Hold the interactable button then walk close to it maybe? Doesn't make sense though.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
I like this move by NRS. It is almost like they took all the different variations of characters and put it into one game and let you choose.

Ex: remember Shredder Sub-Zero and his weapons. Also, wasn't there a game or two where Sub-Zero didn't have Ice Clone at all...excluding the original MK.

So it's like they are letting you choose which version of your favorite character you want to play.

You want clone Sub-Zero then pick version 3...want a weapon wielding Sub-Zero then pick version 1...want to be a defensive powerhouse then pick version 2.

YES!!!
Ice weapons Sub(Cryomancer) has the added bonus of havin the frozen glowing arms, which was always badass.

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
Until I know what the Frozen Aura is I'm planning on playing rush-down with Unbreakable Subby (style 2.)

DeathTouch

Iceman
Hey guys. Awesome style Grand Master variation which equals Clone version of Sub. I noticed when Scorpion was cornered and SZ put a clone and started with a low launcher. Two kicks probably low,then mid.
This is the style of Sub Zero that i wanna play! Any thoughts @Tom Brady ?

SilverKeyMan

Dropping Combos like a MotherFucker!
Had a thought about combos and damage.
1. Sub-Zero will likely have normal launchers that can be used to extend his combos in all 3 variations.
2. Ice Clone and Ice Parry will likely not be able to be used offensively to extend combos since Sub-Zero moves away from the opponent during the use of these.
3a. If Ice Weapons are normals or give his strings more reach then Sub-Zero can use these to create advanced combos not available in the other 2 variations.
3b. If the Ice Weapons overhead hammer move is a super then Sub-Zero can cancel a string into this to bounce an opponent and continue the combo.

So regardless of whether the Ice Weapons are normals (3a) or supers (3b), Sub-Zero will likely be able to use these to create combos not available with either Grand Master or Unbreakable styles. And because of the defensive nature of Ice Clones and Ice Parry, the Grand Master and Unbreakable styles will not offer any additional combo potential not already available to the Cryomancer (Ice Weapon) variation.

So basically, when looking at Sub-Zero from a combo/damage perspective, the Cryomancer variation will always have the flashiest and most damaging combos.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
To compensate for that, I wonder what crazy things they'll give Grand Master and Unbreakable.

We already see Grand Master can remote detonate his ice clone, and can also throw it, so that's already a crazy start.

UsedForGlue

"Strength isn't everything"
Variation 1. Ice Weapons
Variation 2. Parry and Ice Armor causing SZ to take less damage (not sure if its on hit, chip, or both)
Variation 3. Clone

Universal specials are Ice Blast and Slide. EX slide still has armor.
Is EX Slide still flipping the opponent over and knocking them away? Hopefully it gets changed to just being an armoured version of the regular slide.

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
Sub-Zero apparently has a trait that covers him in ice where he takes no chip from projectiles. Sounds pretty badass.

SZ can also shatter the ice clone sending shards of it toward you along with the ability to throw it, as we all know.

I'm unsure which variant this is, though. Rip spoke about it on Aris' podcast which I just posted.

Hini

Batomancer
This parry is obviously the X-ray move.
He does it at 8:33 you hear the sound (the Injustice MB F3/B3 sound) and the meter is completely drained, but the parry whiffs.
He does it again at 8:46 and it doesn't whiff this time.
Herp derp my apologies.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
Sub-Zero apparently has a trait that covers him in ice where he takes no chip from projectiles. Sounds pretty badass.

SZ can also shatter the ice clone sending shards of it toward you along with the ability to throw it, as we all know.

I'm unsure which variant this is, though. Rip spoke about it on Aris' podcast which I just posted.
The first would be for the unbreakable style as it gives the aura and the parry.

OMG it's gonna be so tough to decided b/w unbreakable and grand master styles.

I see a string being used alot in his gameplay, it actually looks very similar to a Kabal string: f32 I think. It's advancing, and I've seen it canceled into iceballs and throws for combos. Looks like a great string because it's advancing, hit confirmable, and combo-able with ice ball. Think it may be the new 22 at least for mechanical purposes.

Also, I'm gonna miss my beloved 21 xx Ice Puddle "reset".

Yes, I know, anyone with half a brain could get out of it easily; that being said, I'm pretty sure it is responsible for 90% of my wins online.

:DOGE

ValeDJ

Noob
Ice puddle was just pure troll. Hope they ditch the ice puddle...was totally useless...excluding the first few months of MK9's release before it was patched after the b2 reset.

YOMI DJT

LIn Kuei Champion
The Lin kuei is coming back after being separated by inj. Can't wait to see what tech our sub lab monsters will bring.

I can't wait to play all sub and they better not nerf him aha.

Can finally play sub zero mirrors and it not have to be an ice clone war.

For the mb slide it should be able to switch sides if the player wants it to. Like banes mb command grab