What's new

20th Anniversary UMK3 Tournament

Dank_Sinatra

Comfortably Numb
Let's get an offline tournament together. Chicago has got a UMK3-scene as well as some arcades that I think would work well. Galloping Ghost comes to mind.

Chicago also seems to be a pretty central location for all players. I have no problem coordinating this effort and at this time I'm getting a feel for who's interested and who isn't.

@Drakonian @nwo @UndefinedRican @Ziggy @AnTi @crazylebanese @YourMKArcadeSource @Biggs @ddy_08 @necoarc12 @Shock @9.95 @McLOV1NS @DemoniChris @lapse138 @tehdrewsus

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
I'm actually about to run one for the UMK3TE hack in my area. the full announcement should be soon. Last year when I ran it we had 14 players and another 2 who were late and didn't get to play in the tournament. This was with very little promotion so I'm going to try it again.

MRIGOTBASS

I'm actually about to run one for the UMK3TE hack in my area. the full announcement should be soon. Last year when I ran it we had 14 players and another 2 who were late and didn't get to play in the tournament. This was with very little promotion so I'm going to try it again.
On PSN all of the foriegn players try to make fun of "Americans" for being weak and changing the game.

On youtube even the really good latin american players said this,

"AMERICAN IDIOTS! YOU CHANGED THE GAME CRYBABYS BECAUSE OF LOSTS, LEARN FROM LATIN PLAYER MORONS"

It makes the USA as a whole look bad.

Please hold normal UMK3 because we all play that, so sick of hearing people make fun of me because I am from the USA when I play online. Even the player from france Chorizo Du 16 was on the microphone a while back poking fun at TE.

Please run NORMAL MK.

YourMKArcadeSource

Your Source For All Things MK Arcade Related
I'll be at the GGA for their swap meet on the 8th of August. I only make it up there once or twice a year (I live in Kansas). I'm down to play as long as Nick Matthews or Moe30W doesn't show up, lol

Dank_Sinatra

Comfortably Numb
I'll be at the GGA for their swap meet on the 8th of August. I only make it up there once or twice a year (I live in Kansas). I'm down to play as long as Nick Matthews or Moe30W doesn't show up, lol

I didn't see anything listed on GGA's website. I imagine you simply keep in touch with other players to coordinate?

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
On PSN all of the foriegn players try to make fun of "Americans" for being weak and changing the game.

On youtube even the really good latin american players said this,

"AMERICAN IDIOTS! YOU CHANGED THE GAME CRYBABYS BECAUSE OF LOSTS, LEARN FROM LATIN PLAYER MORONS"

It makes the USA as a whole look bad.

Please hold normal UMK3 because we all play that, so sick of hearing people make fun of me because I am from the USA when I play online. Even the player from france Chorizo Du 16 was on the microphone a while back poking fun at TE.

Please run NORMAL MK.
The game is 20 years old, we can breathe new life into it. The majority of people like the changes and treat like a patch would be here. South American purists can stick to vanilla UMK3, we'll experiment here and create new fun with the same game. There are things about the game that just completely unacceptable like corner jab infinites and glitch jabbing. The abuse of these tactics completely arrested community growth. If there's anyone who has stood up for UMK3, it's been me so if people can experience new found fun on the same gameplay engine, it's gonna happen. People aren't requesting vanilla UMK3, they want TE.

MRIGOTBASS

The game is 20 years old, we can breathe new life into it. The majority of people like the changes and treat like a patch would be here. South American purists can stick to vanilla UMK3, we'll experiment here and create new fun with the same game. There are things about the game that just completely unacceptable like corner jab infinites and glitch jabbing. The abuse of these tactics completely arrested community growth. If there's anyone who has stood up for UMK3, it's been me so if people can experience new found fun on the same gameplay engine, it's gonna happen. People aren't requesting vanilla UMK3, they want TE.
I will respectfully disagree, can we list the top UMK3 players and ask them if they like the changes?

The TE edition posts on this forum go MONTHS without people posting anything in it,

Can you name who the top players even are ? I have NEVER even seen you play online EVER???

I have played online for several years now and quite honestly, everyone makes fun of TE, I guess i just never saw you online playing umk3 unless you have an allternate account that you play under.

MK is an USA's game and to say the South American Purists can keep the game, makes every single umk3 player in the usa look bad, this was my point exactly,

We really need a player to step up and be the UMK3 Billy Mitchell or Steve Wiebe and respect the game for its heritage, insted of burying a umk3 forum 4-5 layers deep in a MK10 website and having people demonize the game at every opportunity.

Run Real UMK3 sir, stop making the world laugh at us!!

I will respectfully disagree, can we list the top UMK3 players and ask them if they like the changes?

The TE edition posts on this forum go MONTHS without people posting anything in it,

Can you name who the top players even are ? I have NEVER even seen you play online EVER???

I have played online for several years now and quite honestly, everyone makes fun of TE, I guess i just never saw you online playing umk3 unless you have an allternate account that you play under.

MK is an USA's game and to say the South American Purists can keep the game, makes every single umk3 player in the usa look bad, this was my point exactly,

We really need a player to step up and be the UMK3 Billy Mitchell or Steve Wiebe and respect the game for its heritage, insted of burying a umk3 forum 4-5 layers deep in a MK10 website and having people demonize the game at every opportunity.

Run Real UMK3 sir, stop making the world laugh at us!!
I know the changes made didn't keep mrigotbass from running through konqrr.

My REAL objection to TE is that so many changes are made and frankly the game plays like an early beta. Mid tiers got changes. Top tiers got nerfed, low tiers got buffed. Classic sub went from trash to beast. Sheeva does boss damage. Who the F knows what's up with noob.

IMO if you oppose glitch jabs you must oppose Kara jabbing as well. Same principle with slightly different practice. So how do you fix? You treat hp and lp just like kicks, no run or block canceling. Of course that will slow the game to mk1 speeds, save for run button use.

It's too bad that there's such a rift in the community. Offline players dislike online players, offline players only play in their little cliques, and we saw what happened when a new tactic was introduced offline.

Can't wait for SF5

The abuse of these tactics completely arrested community growth.
I've noticed SA players also respect the game and each other enough to impose rules. No infinite/relaunch combos past a certain number (NW corner 3 hit kick, Lao inf, etc) No glitch/corner jab lock downs.

So, you impose rules/bans/dq's based on abuse of these tactics. You don't code them out of the game because people abuse them.

But we wouldn't dare do that, because (north) 'Murica

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Imposing rules in order to restrain temptation, is a garbage mentality and always has been, for all games. If you're going to play UMK3, play it. Anything goes. If you can change it, take advantage of that. TE is also far from finished. A lot of what has been done is purely experimental. Nobody's laughing at anyone, nobody even matters anymore. I don't play online, because online, is also garbage.

So, the bottom line is, people can play UMK3 TE if they want to, and they do want to.

I don't play online, because online, is also garbage.

So, the bottom line is, people can play UMK3 TE if they want to, and they do want to.
Surely you're saying that the gameplay aspect is garbage, and NOT the players that it produces. @McLOV1NS was the first (and only) high-level player that I got to play off-line after playing online for 2 years. And you can ask him, I held my own.
Along with that, that's ONE other high-level player in the area for me to play. Some of us just don't have the opportunity to play off-line with high-level players on a regular basis. But that's an old tired argument that got debunked five years ago.

I want to play TE. But I don't want to play an early beta. I don't think an early beta should be a tournament standard either. If my feedback mattered I'd give it, but I worry that the game is going to be something far different than ultimate

Drakonian

Shady Divizio
I have plans to attend Shang Tsung's Fight Night and kick it with Divizio, but I would also like to attend this as well. I'm definitely down.
The abuse of these tactics completely arrested community growth.
I disagree, I think the problem that is prohibiting growth of the game and community is the fact that the people who are supposed to be backing and promoting the actual game are not doing that at all and instead promoting something else entirely .. an abomination if you ask me.

Dank_Sinatra

Comfortably Numb
What's the soonest everyone could make it? If people could post their schedules/what's convenient, it would be most appreciated.

nwo

Noob
Imposing rules in order to restrain temptation, is a garbage mentality and always has been, for all games. If you're going to play UMK3, play it. Anything goes. If you can change it, take advantage of that. TE is also far from finished. A lot of what has been done is purely experimental. Nobody's laughing at anyone, nobody even matters anymore. I don't play online, because online, is also garbage.

I agree online play is absolutely garbage, at the highest level, no debate. The thing is, I also stand by UMK3, the original.

Last edited:

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
I have plans to attend Shang Tsung's Fight Night and kick it with Divizio, but I would also like to attend this as well. I'm definitely down.
I disagree, I think the problem that is prohibiting growth of the game and community is the fact that the people who are supposed to be backing and promoting the actual game are not doing that at all and instead promoting something else entirely .. an abomination if you ask me.
I still advertise UMK3 and run it at every major I attend and run the newer games, and have done so since MK9. Numbers gradually dropped. There are now players attending again who want to play old school games so the chance of getting some more tournaments for them is increasing.

Again, players don't like inescapable, easy to set up block string infinites in any game. They get patched out now. We can do that for the arcade games too.