What's new

2014 FIFA World Cup general discussion thread

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
Here's a thread for match discussion, predictions, updates, saltybets, team news, trash talk, among other things for those interested.

The last four:
Brazil vs Germany

Netherlands vs Argentina

Losers advance to 3rd place/bronze medal play-off match
Winners advance to grand finals

Eliminated in group stage:
  • Australia
  • Bosnia-Herzegovina
  • Cameroon
  • Croatia
  • Ecuador
  • England
  • Ghana
  • Honduras
  • Iran
  • Italy
  • Ivory Coast
  • Japan
  • Portugal
  • Russia
  • South Korea
  • Spain
Eliminated in round of 16:
  • Algeria
  • Chile
  • Greece
  • Mexico
  • Nigeria
  • Switzerland
  • U.S.A
  • Uruguay
Eliminated in Quarter-finals:
  • Belgium
  • Colombia
  • Costa Rica
  • France

Last edited:

STRYKIE

Your 2014 Fifa World Cup champions....

GERMANY/DEUTSCHLAND

Last edited:
I was routing for colombia, and probably still will, but theres big doubts since their star player didnt make it. The guy who scored half their goals during the qualifying round didnt make it to first round. I just hope they don't get bodied.

Colombia's first match is against greece, who has great defense, without colombias star striker, I don't see better scenario for them besides a tie game at 0-0

@CURBOLICOUS is a big soccer fan, and so is Smarr

NKZero

Noob
My predictions per group...

Group A
Winner: Brazil
Runner-up: Mexico

Group B
Winner: Spain
Runner-up: Netherlands

Group C
Winner: Colombia
Runner-up: Ivory Coast

Group D
Winner: Italy
Runner-up: England

Group E
Winner: France
Runner-up: Ecuador

Group F
Winner: Argentina
Runner-up: Bosnia and Herzegovina

Group G
Winner: Germany
Runner-up: Portugal

Group H
Winner: Belgium
Runner-up: South Korea

OBS|KH Rattlehead

Accessibility consultant for Mortal Kombat 1.
Also a huge soccer fan here. I follow European leagues. My money is on Germany, Brazil or a surprising new team. Germany consists mostly of the Bayern Munich scwod, so players are used to adapting more as a national team vs everyone else who is filled with stars that are used to playing against each other in their clubs. Argentina is a great example of this. I'm still rooting for Argentina though. Messi ftw.

REDRUM

www.twitter.com/redrum26
biggest Futbol fan you will ever meet... My dad is Brazilian soooo you know the deal...

@DarthArma Falcao is going to be missed but I still think Colombia advances past Group stage rather easy... They still have 2 great strikers in James Rogriguez and Jackson Martinez... So they might suprise people despite losing their star... BTW my favorite non Brazilian player of ALL TIME is Carlos Valderrama (met him a few times too in Miami as a kid) So I ALWAYS hope Colombia does well (unless they play Brazil)... My 3 fav teams are always BRAZIL, COLOMBIA and USA of course.

Here are my Group predictions...

Group A: Brazil and Mexico (2 very easy choices for me)

Group B: Spain and Chile (this one is hard cause im leaving Holland out)

Group C: Colombia and Ivory Coast (i feel strongly about these 2 making it out of this group)

Group D: Uruguay and Italy (Im leaving England out, I dont think they have enough to advance)

Group E: France and Ecuador (I think France is getting disrespected too much)

Group F: Argentina and Bosnia (Iran is a sleeper team that could bump Bosnia out)

Group G: (the Group of Death!) Germany and USA (everyone thinks Portugal makes it out and that can happen easy but I have a gut feeling)

OBS|KH Rattlehead

Nice thread. I predict Germany to win the World cup.

As for today's game, I see Brazil winning by a clean 3-0.
I doubt it. Brazil has been struggling these past few years, not to mention you can never underestimate the underdog. Remember Gana in 2010? The most I would say is 1 0 or 2 1.

REDRUM

www.twitter.com/redrum26
I doubt it. Brazil has been struggling these past few years, not to mention you can never underestimate the underdog. Remember Gana in 2010? The most I would say is 1 0 or 2 1.

should you not be underestimating Brazil especially being at home? lol

but yea Croatia is pretty good.. I will take a 1-0 victory and be happy..

My reasoning of an easy win, it's because this is the first game and is on their own country, and Brazil want bad to win this World cup. I remember Ghana, and I agree that there are many surprises in football (soccer) games, however, I doubt Croatia will be much of a chalenge to the "hungry" Brazilians today.

Wemfs

The only morality in a cruel world is chance.
An hour long opening ceremony with people dressed up as grass type pokemon.

STRYKIE

My predictions per group...

Group A
Winner: Brazil
Runner-up: Mexico

Group B
Winner: Netherlands
Runner-up: Spain

Group C
Winner: Colombia
Runner-up: Ivory Coast

Group D
Winner: England
Runner-up: Uruguay

Group E
Winner: Ecuador
Runner-up: France

Group F
Winner: Argentina
Runner-up: Nigeria

Group G
Winner: Portugal
Runner-up: Germany

Group H
Winner: Belgium
Runner-up: Russia
Agree with most, my changes are underlined.

Most of it just comes down to goal difference, I think England will scrape a 1-0 win against Italy and it will cost them in group D. (Not biased by the way, I don't expect them to go further than the quarter finals :p)

NKZero

Noob
Also a huge soccer fan here. I follow European leagues. My money is on Germany, Brazil or a surprising new team. Germany consists mostly of the Bayern Munich scwod, so players are used to adapting more as a national team vs everyone else who is filled with stars that are used to playing against each other in their clubs. Argentina is a great example of this. I'm still rooting for Argentina though. Messi ftw.
Germany were my favourites until Marco Reus got injured. Not so sure now...

biggest Futbol fan you will ever meet... My dad is Brazilian soooo you know the deal...

@DarthArma Falcao is going to be missed but I still think Colombia advances past Group stage rather easy... They still have 2 great strikers in James Rogriguez and Jackson Martinez... So they might suprise people despite losing their star... BTW my favorite non Brazilian player of ALL TIME is Carlos Valderrama (met him a few times too in Miami as a kid) So I ALWAYS hope Colombia does well (unless they play Brazil)... My 3 fav teams are always BRAZIL, COLOMBIA and USA of course.

Here are my Group predictions...
I feel like you're sleeping on greece and portugal a little.

My first arcade stick I did some choppy, funny colombian art on it, and I have carlos valderrama and shakira on it. I'll upload a picture when I get home

OBS|KH Rattlehead

Lol okay that's a good point. They will have to step it up for sure, especially if they're the home team. If only Argentina was playing better. Otherwise I would hope for a Brazil vs. Argentina grand final. Damn that would be so hype. Danny Alves stated in a confrence that he would love to play the final against them.

REDRUM

www.twitter.com/redrum26

My first arcade stick I did some choppy, funny colombian art on it, and I have carlos valderrama and shakira on it. I'll upload a picture when I get home

haha thats cool "El Pibe" is the man ...

but yea Im going out on a limb leaving Portugal out (the are favs to advance but I have to pick a few upsets cause they always happen) but Greece just doesnt have the firepower imo to advance..

OBS|KH Rattlehead

Agree. Portugal is a team that should not be underestimated. Plus Christiano is out for the kill.

All of you predict Colombia and Ivory Coast advancing on group C? You are underestimating Greece. Greece has very strong defense that can easily keep a clean sheet against very strong opponents. And if Kostas Mitroglou is on form, he can score at any time from nowhere. I see Greece advancing one way on another.

STRYKIE

All of you predict Colombia and Ivory Coast advancing on group C? You are underestimating Greece. Greece has very strong defense that can easily keep a clean sheet against very strong opponents. And if Kostas Mitroglou is on form, he can score at any time from nowhere. I see Greece advancing one way on another.
Greece have been very inconsistent since their Euros win in 2004, but they were very unlucky not to advance at the last WC. It's still the most balanced/wildcard group though.